2022-2023 Season: Games of Interest - Future Opponents

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I would still never do it, but I could see rooting for vcu in a scenario where we had at-large implications and we already had a win over them. But especially this season, where the entire conference is a dumpster fire, at least give me the satisfaction of knowing that vcu fans are unhappy.

The ideal future would be vcu getting some kind of pseudo death penalty, vacated wins, a new president who reroutes all their basketball funding to the School of Finger Painting, and they fumble around one 2-3-4 conf. win season in perpetuity. I sat through enough of their garbage over the years that I wish the entire program would go away.

The fact that we aren't even close to competing with them and that they have made the better basketball decision at every turn is salt in the wound. I want nothing for them but rot.
Yes.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm guessing Mason holds the crown for worst transition into A10 amongst those who joined in last 15 yrs. Total guess. I'm probably wrong.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm guessing Mason holds the crown for worst transition into A10 amongst those who joined in last 15 yrs. Total guess. I'm probably wrong.
Well lets see who's joined in the last 15 years (since 2008)

vcu Mason Davidson and Loy Chi

Obviously vcu has had the best transition with several NCAAs
Davidson last made the NCAAs last year

So yeah , of the 4 Mason has been the worst. Loy chi has had a rough first year but I'm sure long term they will be a good add.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

So yeah , of the 4 Mason has been the worst. Loy chi has had a rough first year but I'm sure long term they will be a good add.
We're easily the worst. Looked like a good add at the time but we weren't as far removed from actual success.

We still "belong" in the A10, we just belong in the bottom half of it. As a basketball only school there weren't many other places to go.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We're easily the worst. Looked like a good add at the time but we weren't as far removed from actual success.

We still "belong" in the A10, we just belong in the bottom half of it. As a basketball only school there weren't many other places to go.
I'd actually disagree with the last statement. This is offseason fodder but we basically are middle of the road in just about anything from facilities to how we have been doing the last few years.

Mason definitely belongs in the A10 and I'm glad we are part of it. I'm also glad we aren't in the PIG often anymore so our floor is raised. Hopefully with English we can get to the ultimate goal of an NCAA bid at some point.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn, 1m per year plus a 1m buyout if he leaves for another job before 2028.

Wonder how much is guaranteed and whats bonus based etc. Charleston is certainly going for it, and can't help but think they might be on the radar for a higher conference at some point.

Damn, 1m per year plus a 1m buyout if he leaves for another job before 2028.

Wonder how much is guaranteed and whats bonus based etc. Charleston is certainly going for it, and can't help but think they might be on the radar for a higher conference at some point.
adding Charleston to make it a 16-team A10 would be a slam dunk and would give Davidson back their natural southern rivalry. Hope it happens.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I heard High Point was looking to move to A10. Not sure they have much to offer basketball wise. It has exploded. Them and Elon have grown a ton.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton over LaSalle 33-27 at the half

2 Dayton losses and 2 GMU wins would give us the same conference record

----
Dayton Wins 77-53
Dayton will finish ahead of us in the Conference Standings and LaSalle will finish lower than us

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
St. Louis over vcu 35-31 at the half

a vcu win clinches the regular season title for vcu

2 St. Louis losses and 2 GMU wins would give us the same conference record

--------
79-67 vcu wins

vcu is the regular season conference champion and an auto bid to the NIT - if they dont win the league Tourney

St Louis loses and drops to 6 losses in conference.
Their last game is vs Dayton, so they could drop to 7 losses in conference play.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Could of stayed put? I think in 15 years we would have won the CAA at least once and went to the NCAA tournament. I understand there’s a million benefits of moving to the a10. But most casual fans only care about march madness.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Could of stayed put? I think in 15 years we would have won the CAA at least once and went to the NCAA tournament. I understand there’s a million benefits of moving to the a10. But most casual fans only care about march madness.

1 tournament in 15 years in the CAA isn’t really worth the tradoff to me.

Also all our regional rivals have left the CAA (vcu, ODU, JMU). I’m liking the narratives we have building now with St. Joes, UMass, GW, vcu, and Richmond. It’s also just better basketball overall.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Also all our regional rivals have left the CAA (vcu, ODU, JMU). I’m liking the narratives we have building now with St. Joes, UMass, GW, vcu, and Richmond. It’s also just better basketball overall.
Yeah I’ll pass on playing Hampton, NCAT, and Elon twice a year. You are a conference tourney loss away from not being in the NCAA every single season because it will almost always be a single bid league. All Q3/Q4 games during conference play.

You don’t recruit at the level we are in the CAA. Also their games are all on Flo sports, which if you haven’t ever had to watch in is a VASTLY inferior product to ESPN+.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I tend to agree. I’m just playing devils advocate.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On

Felt like it was a good chance to do the math. Keep in mind we don’t know who might go to a tournament this year (other than the Rams being guaranteed at least an NIT berth)

vcu 11 Seasons A10 Record 136-54 NCAA- 7 NIT- 1
Mason 10 Seasons A10 Record 73-99 NCAA- 0 NIT- 0
Davidson 9 Seasons A10 Record 99-56 NCAA- 3 NIT- 3
Loyola 1 Season A10 Record 4-14 NCAA-0 NIT- 0

We actually have a much better winning percentage than Loyola and it is improving each year. As for the other two, we have a ways to go. At least it’s nice not being at the bottom of the food chain.