2022-2023 Season: Games of Interest - Future Opponents

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think Gw is gonna struggle here on out bc they have a short rotation. Don’t think they’ll get top 4.

Of course I can totally be wrong too.
Well they arguably have the best 1-2 Guard Combo in the A-10 and that usually can get them sniffing the Top 4. All comes down to what Lindo and the rest can contribute in games. Dean sucks but seems to be around the rim to cleanup shots. Besides the vcu game, they could very well win the rest of their games.

Fordham and Bonny are coming on strong and never count out a Mark Schmidt coached team. Ugh, pains me to say it.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Well they arguably have the best 1-2 Guard Combo in the A-10 and that usually can get them sniffing the Top 4. All comes down to what Lindo and the rest can contribute in games. Dean sucks but seems to be around the rim to cleanup shots. Besides the vcu game, they could very well win the rest of their games.

Fordham and Bonny are coming on strong and never count out a Mark Schmidt coached team. Ugh, pains me to say it.
Anything is possible, I suppose, but kenpom has GW as underdogs in each of their remaining 8 games except for their home game against LaSalle.

As for their guard play, here's what A10talk said:
"Duquesne came out early blitzing GW ball handlers and trying to wreak havoc in the passing lanes. Pressuring GW on the ball has been an especially effective strategy for opponents. With the only true guards on the roster being senior James Bishop and grad Brendan Adams, it can be often difficult for them to move the ball forward and initiate offense when faced with pressure like they saw against Duquesne. "

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dayton up 7 at vcu with 3 min left Malachi Smith out with ankle injury but Brea doing well at. pg. vcu 7-15 on FTs.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
vcu was 10-20 from the FT line... and somehow nearly came back from down 7 with a minute left. Dayton nearly gave the game away too with their poor FT shooting late as well

Dayton wins 62-58

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
GWU over Richmond in Double OT

3 Double Doubles
Bishop 33 points, 10 assists
Lindo, Jr. 18 points, 13 rebounds
Edwards 11 points, 16 rebounds

and
Adams 35 points

they dont have much of a bench, and they may lose on saturday because of being tired,
but they may be rested for us next week

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
We'll be lucky to get 2 more wins out of this schedule. GW is going to have a field day with us.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Dayton up 7 at home vs SLU at the half. ESPN2. Dayton bigs with foul issues dealing with Holmes.

Dalen Cuff does a pretty good job with the analyses.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Checking in on some of our nonconf opponents

Boston College- 192 NET- 12 wins 15 losses
Tulane- 90 NET 16 wins 7 losses
Hofstra- 87 NET 19 wins 8 losses
Queens-215 NET 13 wins 11 losses
Belmont- 116 NET 18 wins 9 losses
Buffalo- 188 NET 10 wins 14 losses
Toledo- 95 NET 19 wins 6 losses

I obviously didn't do all the teams but maybe at the end of the year I will do that.

Best home win right now looks like Hofstra followed by the neutral win against Tulane and home win against Toledo
Best overall win right now also looks like Hofstra
3 wins in the top 100 as of right now.

Last edited:

patriotchild

Starter
Surprised that vcu just took Fordham behind the woodshed
Think it makes it pretty clear how mediocre the A10 is. Fordham ooc was super weak and they had a favorable conf schedule due to imbalanced schedule. like us, they weren’t supposed to good and didn’t get teams like Dayton vcu SLU twice. Difference so far is that they’ve handled their business against the rest of the mediocre teams and took one from SLU

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
GW blows 16-point lead at Bona, then Bishop gets fouled on a 3 with 2 seconds left in OT and drains all 3 free throws. GW 83, Bona 81.

After all of the ups and downs, Mason is now solo sixth place, only one spot lower than we were picked in the A-10 preseason poll.

Crazy.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
GW blows 16-point lead at Bona, then Bishop gets fouled on a 3 with 2 seconds left in OT and drains all 3 free throws. GW 83, Bona 81.

After all of the ups and downs, Mason is now solo sixth place, only one spot lower than we were picked in the A-10 preseason poll.

Crazy.
Bonnies were outplayed badly by GW from the 10 min mark until the last few minutes of regulation when they were within 8-10 points. GW turned it over several times against the Bonnies press to send it into OT.

Kenpom now has 3 teams projected for the 6-8 seeds with 9-9 records: Mason, LaSalle, and GW. Anyone know how a 3 way tie is broken? If it's the team's record against the other 2 teams we'll finish 2-1. LaSalle on the the other hand is currently 1-1 but has a remaining game at GW, which is currently 1-2.

Of course, it's no gimme that we'll finish 9-9 with 2 games on the road (Dayton and Richmond) and a tough home game against Fordham.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bonnies were outplayed badly by GW from the 10 min mark until the last few minutes of regulation when they were within 8-10 points. GW turned it over several times against the Bonnies press to send it into OT.

Kenpom now has 3 teams projected for the 6-8 seeds with 9-9 records: Mason, LaSalle, and GW. Anyone know how a 3 way tie is broken? If it's the team's record against the other 2 teams we'll finish 2-1. LaSalle on the the other hand is currently 1-1 but has a remaining game at GW, which is currently 1-2.

Of course, it's no gimme that we'll finish 9-9 with 2 games on the road (Dayton and Richmond) and a tough home game against Fordham.

Yes, that’s how it works. And it’s winning percentage versus the other team in the group, so Mason’s 2-1 would be better than GW’s 2-2 (assuming they win). If La Salle wins, we’d be tied and then it would go head-to-head (and we’d own the tiebreaker over them).

The simple solution is to just have a better record and not have to worry about it.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Crazy.
6th is exactly where I said we'd finish if we still had PG issues. Crazy.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Difficult as it may be emotionally, I'm thinking that it's better for us to root for vcu over St. Joe's tonight to create more distance between Mason and the Hawks. They have the head-to-head tiebreaker with us and would only lower our winning % if we wind up in a multi-team tie in the middle of the pack.