2021-2022 Mason roster

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What do we do with Hartwell? Good kid. Plays hard. But he's just not up to the caliber we need. Bench warmer to come in when the game is in hand or we get into serious foul trouble? Does he decide to enter the portal?

it’s an interesting predicament. Hartwell is also a rising senior so perhaps he looks to graduate and then grad transfer in another year. He does hold some value with experience and being able to score some quick points off the bench, but he’s obviously a defensive liability.

It really depends on if XJ is healthy what his role is. At this point he probably needs a year healthy to give himself some options.
The wildcard is Gray. Who knows how he fits.

There definitely will be some attrition.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I just have a feeling that we still see another transfer from the current roster. Assuming that Polite is the starter, Jamal and XJ will again be fighting for bench minutes, along with Gray. Not saying I want him to, because I don't, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Jamal head back west in search of more playing time, especially if XJ is healthy.
We don’t know if Gray is still coming. He signed a LOI but would definitely be released following the coaching change. And I agree we will have at least one more transfer — it’s hard enough to find playing time for 3 PGs on a 13-man roster, much less 4

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We don’t know if Gray is still coming. He signed a LOI but would definitely be released following the coaching change. And I agree we will have at least one more transfer — it’s hard enough to find playing time for 3 PGs on a 13-man roster, much less 4
Not that this should mean anything, but Mike has been “liking” some of the Mason MBB activity related to KE on Instagram.

Ive watched a fair amount of tape on Mike Gray over the last few days; as well as Otis Frazier, and if he’s healthy, he’s going to push for playing time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not that this should mean anything, but Mike has been “liking” some of the Mason MBB activity related to KE on Instagram.

Ive watched a fair amount of tape on Mike Gray over the last few days; as well as Otis Frazier, and if he’s healthy, he’s going to push for playing time.

the key is whether gray is healthy. If I recall he had an injury this last season, but I’m not 100 percent sure. I know there’s that one video where the guy talks like he’s Devonte Graham and will be headed to the NBA.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol good point. Im just buying into the hype of the new recruits.
Me too just need Jordan back and about 2 more recruits ready to start/ be counted on right away. Until that happens I’m not declaring anything lol

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Getting Josh back was big. Now we need to land another big to solidify down low, there’s still a hole in the roster there we’ve gotta fill if we want to have a chance to compete next year.

Dawgs99

Starter
KE is on a place going somewhere.... where is this KING going, and who is he bringing back with him?

My guess would be back to campus, based on his IG stories looks like he was at home with his kids this weekend. I doubt they've relocated to Fairfax already.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So what else do we need at this point? Feel free to agree/disagree.

another big. Josh can’t play 40 minutes and needs a robin to him being Batman to help him out up front. Either a frosh or maybe they find a guy looking for a new opportunity that’s seasoned like a Myles Johnson or Santos Silva. High bar in getting those guys but hey never know. Going with a super experienced guy to share minutes might not be the smartest plan but perhaps it could really help elevate Josh’ development.

another shooting guard for that 2/3 spot for some depth. We have a lot of point guards who will probably have some time at the 2, but we need another real shooter with Cooper in my opinion in that spot. If he’s a bigger guard maybe he helps Frazier settle in this year with a lesser role? Mathis would be good but no clue if that’s possible.

best available: I could see our roster getting filled with best available. Davonte Gaines might be good to fill out the roster as he’d be a capable defender.

lots of really good options out there.