2021-2022 Mason roster

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Miller comes back, we have 2 scholarships left to offer unless someone else leaves — which could happen.

We definitely need another big. Malik needs time to get stronger and develop at the 4, not being forced to back up Oduro as an undersized 5. Gotta have another option in case Oduro gets in foul trouble and as noted he cannot play all 40 minutes.

Last edited:

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Miller comes back, we only have 1 scholarship left to offer (Kolek’s) unless someone else leaves — which could happen.

We definitely need another big. Malik needs time to get stronger and develop at the 4, not being forced to back up Oduro as an undersized 5. Gotta have another option in case Oduro gets in foul trouble and as noted he cannot play all 40 minutes.
If the scholly limit is 13, then we would still have 2 left with Miller

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Justin McKoy would be a good fit in my eyes. Has ACC experience and wouldn’t be a reach. His stat line isn’t anything special, but he could chew up some minutes and be productive.
Loved him coming out of HS and would love to have him at Mason ... he doesn’t address the need at the 5 though

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
But like he’s probably better than 4 scholarship players that haven’t entered portal. Totally cool with him pushing them out.
Agreed ... we definitely need to lose at least one of the 4 PGs if not 2. Hopefully Kim will be having that hard conversation because that’s way too much investment at one position and we have a great chance to significantly upgrade the roster with so much talent still in the portal.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But like he’s probably better than 4 scholarship players that haven’t entered portal. Totally cool with him pushing them out.

Agreed ... we definitely need to lose at least one of the 4 PGs if not 2. Hopefully Kim will be having that hard conversation because that’s way too much investment at one position and we have a great chance to significantly upgrade the roster with so much talent still in the portal.
Yes, I feel badly for the young men. But if the A10 is above their abilities and if their presence on the team holds everyone else back, and thus the entire upward trajectory of the program, they need to go elsewhere.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Here's the issue though.. who is transferring to come off the bench/fight for minutes? I feel like filling out a 13 man roster with quality depth is going to be difficult the next few years until the dust settles.

Additionally, I'm all about players who want to be here. If a kid is already here, and he wants to stay and compete, I don't want them to leave.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Here's the issue though.. who is transferring to come off the bench/fight for minutes? I feel like filling out a 13 man roster with quality depth is going to be difficult the next few years until the dust settles.

Additionally, I'm all about players who want to be here. If a kid is already here, and he wants to stay and compete, I don't want them to leave.
That's the conundrum. I don't want to hurt the kids, but I don't want to hurt the program either. KE and Mason are the buzz right now. If we dawdle, we lose that. And it may be hard to get it back. I think next season is crucial. If there is a marked improvement, then we stay a hot commodity, if we don't, someone else will. Attention spans are short these days, especially among kids.
That's what I think anyway.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I’m aware it makes me seem like a huge jerk for saying so, but I guess I just don’t think our current coach should have to be saddled with his predecessor’s questionable recruiting strategy. I’m fairly certain KE can find a freshman or sophomore in the portal at another position who would be willing to come and would help us more than having a glut of point guards.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m aware it makes me seem like a huge jerk for saying so, but I guess I just don’t think our current coach should have to be saddled with his predecessor’s questionable recruiting strategy. I’m fairly certain KE can find a freshman or sophomore in the portal at another position who would be willing to come and would help us more than having a glut of point guards.
I'm with you.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sleeper is the only huge jerk here..

Given the logjam at the position, and the amount of time he's been here, I can see Hartwell heading out. I'm not ready for XJ to go if he's healthy, and I think Gray deserves a chance to show what he can do at the college level, because he was more than impressive in high school.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Given the logjam at the position, and the amount of time he's been here, I can see Hartwell heading out. I'm not ready for XJ to go if he's healthy, and I think Gray deserves a chance to show what he can do at the college level, because he was more than impressive in high school.
Hartwell would be my choice too.

JPgmuswim

Starter
I mean let’s be honest, the players that Kim inherited would not have been recruited by him out of high school. That’s not to say that DP didn’t hit on a few, that Kim has already named as core players he wants to keep. But the majority would not have been recruited here had Kim been in charge.

It’s definitely a hard conversation to have but that’s part of the job and it’s pretty obvious that KE wants to win and win quickly.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean let’s be honest, the players that Kim inherited would not have been recruited by him out of high school. That’s not to say that DP didn’t hit on a few, that Kim has already named as core players he wants to keep. But the majority would not have been recruited here had Kim been in charge.

It’s definitely a hard conversation to have but that’s part of the job and it’s pretty obvious that KE wants to win and win quickly.
As do we all. And as I said, if we don't, we may lose this opportunity. And it may be the best one we ever get. (Or have ever had)

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Yikes