15 Minutes Thread

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He also used to call the A10 the A1 steak sauce league, bc it was Temple then everyone else. Does he know he is now the A1 sauce Coach? League of good coaches, then him.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
From last year's A10 media day:

On the Atlantic 10:

“When I was at Villanova, we used to kid around and call this league the steak sauce conference, it was the A-1. It was Temple, and nobody else. When I was in the Big East, that’s what we would tell all the recruits. Now we have good teams up and down the board.”- Hewitt

I liked this quote also from last year's media day:

“I’m going to put Phil Martelli out there, and he is going to get mad at me. We were at a recruiting event in July, and we were talking about some quirks in the recruiting schedule and he said we might have to move one of our weekends to May. I said that the league meetings might get in the way. He turned to me and asked when my league meetings were. I was like Phil, we’re in the same league now.”- George Mason coach Paul Hewitt

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This thread should now be re-titled to '15 Minutes is Over'. Here is a line from last week's Sports Business Journal's front page article titled: "Is Cinderella Dead? Basketball conferences have been able to hold their own on the court, but new financial demands could produce an unhappy ending"

The Shockers and other teams like Butler, Gonzaga and Virginia Commonwealth have transformed themselves from Cinderellas to elite basketball programs....

We aren't mentioned.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This thread should now be re-titled to '15 Minutes is Over'. Here is a line from last week's Sports Business Journal's front page article titled: "Is Cinderella Dead? Basketball conferences have been able to hold their own on the court, but new financial demands could produce an unhappy ending"

We aren't mentioned.

Because we never became an elite basketball program?

JBiggs

Starter
Lmao, this is so incredibly saddening. We finally make it to the A-10 and we're essentially a low-major caliber program now.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was listening to the Dan LeBatard Show on 570am on the way home tonight. They were talking about the college football playoff and one of the guys is rooting for no upsets this weekend because he wants all football blue bloods in the playoff. He likened it to the basketball tournament, "I don't want or Butler or George Mason in the Final Four. I want Duke." I about drove off the Wilson Bridge that a national media person actually remembers us...........

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was listening to the Dan LeBatard Show on 570am on the way home tonight. They were talking about the college football playoff and one of the guys is rooting for no upsets this weekend because he wants all football blue bloods in the playoff. He likened it to the basketball tournament, "I don't want or Butler or George Mason in the Final Four. I want Duke." I about drove off the Wilson Bridge that a national media person actually remembers us...........

This is kind of a stupid argument this year. Exactly who isn't a blue blood at this point? The first non-BCS team in the BCS standings would be Boise State at 22. It's not like they're going to just 18 spots to sneak into the playoffs.

If Alabama loses to Missouri, the team that will sneak in is an Ohio State currently 5th, or maybe a Baylor if TCU somehow loses to Iowa Sate (incredibly unlikely), or if Arizona upsets Oregon they might sneak in and take that last spot. None of those scenarios puts a "George Mason" or a "Butler" into the BCS playoffs.

Even still, root for teams who play good football regardless of the name on the front of their jersey, or how many championships they had in the 1950s or 60s. George Mason played some damn good team basketball in 2006 and so did Butler in their two runs. These people have to get over themselves.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Andy Pollin's 'Sports Reports' show comes to an end this morning. The show launched in 1999 and he said today that the biggest story was our Final Four run.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
ESPN 980 ranked the college basketball decades. the 2000s were #1 for the DC area over the 80's. Georgetown's 3 Final Four appearances with 1 title in the 80s were trumped by Maryland's 2001 Final Four, 2002 title and Georgetown's 2007 Final Four with the main reason cited as our 2006 Final Four.