15 Minutes Thread

psyclone

Hall of Famer
For those that missed PTI today, they interviewed Coach L about Miami and got around to mentioning the Final Four. It's around the 15 or 16 minute mark of the audio podcast:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14832670

BTW, Jolley hasn't had much to say these days now that Miami is a top 15 team and 2 of the former assistants are now head coaches!

GMU92

Starter
That was a seriously good synopsis of our Final Four year. OCM and his staff were amazing and the guys responded so well. I don't remember the funeral situation with Folarin, not sure how I missed that along the way. (maybe my old timers memory is failing me). I liked the story of OCM not letting guys walk around in headphones, etc. to promote communication and the UConn players acting like they basically hated each other (NBA prima donnas). Wonder where Billy Packer is today? In the old folks home, gumming his oatmeal, crapping in his Depends, perhaps.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also interesting from the CBS Sports piece is that the team stayed in Crystal City and not downtown. There are so many hotels around Verizon and yet at least one of the 5 NCAA selected hotels (the NCAA pays for the teams travel and lodging) was not near the arena, but across the river. The 5th hotel is for NCAA administrators and I am sure that one was walking distance to the arena that year.

GMU92

Starter
Also interesting from the CBS Sports piece is that the team stayed in Crystal City and not downtown. There are so many hotels around Verizon and yet at least one of the 5 NCAA selected hotels (the NCAA pays for the teams travel and lodging) was not near the arena, but across the river. The 5th hotel is for NCAA administrators and I am sure that one was walking distance to the arena that year.

I think Wichita St. was in Rosslyn VA. I parked there because I had an office on Wilson Blvd. We ended up on Metro with many folks from their Athletic Dept., had a nice talk with Turgeon's secretary.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Matt Norlander from CBSSports.com picked 2006 Mason-UConn as the No. 1 Elite 8 game of the past 15 years, and suggested it might be No. 2 all-time behind the classic 1992 Duke-Kentucky game.

I'd post a link, but I'm on my phone and don't know how.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Matt Norlander from CBSSports.com picked 2006 Mason-UConn as the No. 1 Elite 8 game of the past 15 years, and suggested it might be No. 2 all-time behind the classic 1992 Duke-Kentucky game.

I'd post a link, but I'm on my phone and don't know how.

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ite-eight-games-since-the-turn-of-the-century

What Mason fan can watch this clip and not get both goosebumps while crying tears of joy! Nothing, NOTHING will ever top this!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I remember how awesome it felt to beat Michigan State. I was thinking, Finally a NCAA win! It never occurred to me that we were one win away from the Sweet 16. That first win was good enough.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I remember how awesome it felt to beat Michigan State. I was thinking, Finally a NCAA win! It never occurred to me that we were one win away from the Sweet 16. That first win was good enough.

As good as that MSU win felt, that UNC comeback was epic. I will forever remember the look on Tyler Hansbrough's face as Gabe Norwood comes from behind with the monster block.