15 Minutes Thread

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Everyone talks about the season after the FF being down. While the reg season was uninspired...we were still 2 minutes from making the NCAAs...which would have been 3 years straight.

If May nor doesn't do his thing...then all of the sudden our trajectory looks different.....

I always said the rise of vcu was our downfall. Not only did they stop us from going in 2007, but also in 2009 (that would have made it 4 straight) and had we not gotten destroyed by them in 2011, they would not have even gotten in the field and we probably get a 7 or even a 6 seed and avoid OSU in the round of 32 that year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's not that hard to create a catchy slogan like "Dunk City" which Fl Gulf Coast did. Gmu and vcu had similar paths. I didn't hear much about Havoc in 2011 but they pushed that brand soon after b/c they looked for something about themselves to brand. So ask yourselves what about Mason could we have branded during the FF run or in the following year? What made Mason so good it could beat Mich St, Unc, WSU, and Uconn? Is there anything reallying in that pudding that stands out? I think we were pretty traditional in terms of style of play. If you want to reach you could push "Scramble" but we didn't press much as a way of playing 40 minuets. Simply put there wasn't much there other than a great team and great coach for us to brand. We didn't miss out on an opportunity b/c we weren't gimmick oriented. We were much like Witchia State sans the coaching blunder. And I'd much rather be like them (one day) than some gimmicky style of play. Where is "Dunk City" this year. And how long until "havoc" is reduced to "harmony"?

You want GMU to be a household name? Just win baby!

You know who else has quietly built a very good basketball program? San Diego State. They haven't had that really big run, but they are in their 5th straight tournament and have made the round of 32 and sweet 16 in the last three year. Their seed has them favored to reach another Sweet 16 this year.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Michael Wilbon mentioned George Mason on PTI today when discussing Dayton's run and their serious NC chances. Wilbon confirmed George Mason had a legit chance at winning the NC that year since we made the Final Four and said Dayton has a chance this year since they made the Sweet 16.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Michael Wilbon mentioned George Mason on PTI today when discussing Dayton's run and their serious NC chances. Wilbon confirmed George Mason had a legit chance at winning the NC that year since we made the Final Four and said Dayton has a chance this year since they made the Sweet 16.

If we were on the other side of the bracket we would have won but still probably lost the NC. That UCLA/LSU game was weak. Best part was the UCLA dance team, whom I had a front row seat for.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If we were on the other side of the bracket we would have won but still probably lost the NC. That UCLA/LSU game was weak. Best part was the UCLA dance team, whom I had a front row seat for.

UCLA dance team ... absolutely yum.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How did their personalities move when jumping?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
More 15 minutes:

Mark Zuckerman‏@ZuckermanCSN
Wife: "The Royals are the George Mason of baseball." Me: "Wait, their GM went to George Mason!"

Only difference is, they've already got the Hewitt of MLB managers.

Yost is terrible. Somehow they continue to win anyhow.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yost is terrible. Somehow they continue to win anyhow.

I hate that this was my hope when we hired Hewitt, that his well-documented coaching deficiencies could be overcome by his recruiting ability.

I hate that I thought by replacing an older coach with a younger coach (hence my car analogy at the time) that we could bring in a more exciting brand of basketball — but we have instead produced a team that lacks basic fundamentals like defense, rebounding and passing.

I'm pulling for the George Mason-led Royals to win it all, but I hate most of all that a coach like Yost is going to the World Series while a guy like Buck Showalter is sitting at home today.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate that this was my hope when we hired Hewitt, that his well-documented coaching deficiencies could be overcome by his recruiting ability.

I hate that I thought by replacing an older coach with a younger coach (hence my car analogy at the time) that we could bring in a more exciting brand of basketball — but we have instead produced a team that lacks basic fundamentals like defense, rebounding and passing.

I'm pulling for the George Mason-led Royals to win it all, but I hate most of all that a coach like Yost is going to the World Series while a guy like Buck Showalter is sitting at home today.

Good points Tom, but shouldn't this go in the Hate thread?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Crap, I have so much hate in me right now, I thought I was in the hate thread. haha

Me too. Having a conference media day where we're a total afterthought and picked to finish next-to-last, just eight years after going to the Final Four, is enough to generate some serious hate.

It's sad, but I feel like we essentially punted this season because we couldn't afford to eat the final 2 years of Hewitt's deal and the timing of Edwards' arrival would've made hiring a new coach complicated.

Feels way too much like the early 90s these days ... other than the persistent back and knee pain.