Women's Basketball

psyclone

Hall of Famer
This has been an exceptional year for the women. I can't remember how long it's been since they were over .500, both overall and in-conference. Hard to know how much credit to give the coach, given the windfall that Natalie Butler has been. The nation's leading rebounder and double-double machine has been a real godsend.

Milleson had never won more than 6 games in the A10 (1,3,6,6 over her first 4 yrs here) and I believe she's in the last year of her contract. She wasn't a Brad Edwards hire and he hasn't been reluctant to change coaches in many of the other sports.

Unfortunately Butler is done after this season and I don't know whether Brad will reward Milleson for this year. Cardaño-Hillary is only a freshman and appears to be a real sparkplug. There's only one senior on the roster (Dodson) so everyone else will be back. It would seem difficult to change coaches after having its best season in a decade or more, even if the main cause of that is a UConn grad transfer. On balance, I would predict a modest extension.

I've seen part of a couple of games and enjoyed them, although the athleticism difference between the men's and women's teams takes some getting used to. Generally, I'd like Mason to be good in all things, so it's been nice to see the women getting positive attention.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
This has been an exceptional year for the women. I can't remember how long it's been since they were over .500, both overall and in-conference. Hard to know how much credit to give the coach, given the windfall that Natalie Butler has been. The nation's leading rebounder and double-double machine has been a real godsend.

Milleson had never won more than 6 games in the A10 (1,3,6,6 over her first 4 yrs here) and I believe she's in the last year of her contract. She wasn't a Brad Edwards hire and he hasn't been reluctant to change coaches in many of the other sports.

Unfortunately Butler is done after this season and I don't know whether Brad will reward Milleson for this year. Cardaño-Hillary is only a freshman and appears to be a real sparkplug. There's only one senior on the roster (Dodson) so everyone else will be back. It would seem difficult to change coaches after having its best season in a decade or more, even if the main cause of that is a UConn grad transfer. On balance, I would predict a modest extension.

I've seen part of a couple of games and enjoyed them, although the athleticism difference between the men's and women's teams takes some getting used to. Generally, I'd like Mason to be good in all things, so it's been nice to see the women getting positive attention.

Psyclone's post is a more articulate and informed version of what my response would have been to Pikapp's question. I have not made it to a woman's game, but am planning on going to the A10 1st rd game next Tuesday (VIP tix only $15 with access to pregame hospitality and cash bar!) and we are floating the idea of heading to Richmond for the tournament, should they advance.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Tickets for the men's game at 6 on Saturday are also good for the women's game at 2. Also possible to exit after the women's game and re-enter later for the men's game, if the ticket is re-scanned as you exit.

Note: The women host the first round of the A10 tournament (opponent to be named once the final seeds are determined) on Tuesday at 7. I would be nice to get a decent turnout to celebrate their best season in many years.

To brush up on their NCAA or (more likely) NIT chances see this article:
http://giantkiller.co/2018/02/20/george-mason-womens-basketball-2018-bracketology/

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Patriots will be the No. 4 seed & will play No. 13 seed St. Bonaventure at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at @eaglebankarena in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship! First time we've hosted a conference tournament since 2006! #GetPatriotic #FillEBA

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Come out to EBA tomorrow - you can either splurge for VIP tix for $15 with pregame hospitality room, or buy tix for as low as $4.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mason plays GW at 2pm Friday for those who want to know... GO MASON LADIES!

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Ugh... women lose to GW for the 13th time in a row in a close back and forth game.

Now I guess they wait and see about NIT - women's NIT has 64, so they have a shot.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Lost by 5 . From the box score (I didn't actually watch the game but checked the stats periodically), Butler (27 pts, 12 rebounds) scored almost half their points with nobody else getting more than 6 points. The shooting percentages were pretty much the same but Mason lost the turnover battle 17-9. Nikki C-H didn't have one of her better games. Too bad Butler is one and done, as most everybody else is back.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=209669

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lost by 5 . From the box score (I didn't actually watch the game but checked the stats periodically), Butler (27 pts, 12 rebounds) scored almost half their points with nobody else getting more than 6 points. The shooting percentages were pretty much the same but Mason lost the turnover battle 17-9. Nikki C-H didn't have one of her better games. Too bad Butler is one and done, as most everybody else is back.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=209669

Looked at the play-by-play. They were down 2 with 32 seconds left and the ball, but a turnover and a series of missed shots looked like the margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk