Women's Basketball

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
After yesterday's blowout win, the women are 9-2 with a 7 game home winning streak.

Sagarin's "combo" rating has them at #82 nationally which places them second in the A10. However their schedule difficulty is ranked #317. Not quite as bad as the Georgetown men's schedule, but close!

Let's hope it's not a men's soccer situation where they played well in the OOC and then totally bombed in the conference games.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Let's hope it's not a men's soccer situation where they played well in the OOC and then totally bombed in the conference games.

I agree. Without having seen them in person, I'm a little wary when a team only seems to be teams with lopsided losing records.
Butler has deservedly gotten the most publicity with her string of double-doubles, but Cardano-Hillary (freshman guard) is actually the leading scorer and Bolton is averaging 12/game.

Hope to get to some of the game tomorrow night against 1-9 UMBC. If I'm reading Sagarin correctly, we're something like a 45 pt favorite over a team in the bottom 10 of Division 1!

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Women battled last night at now 10-3 Houston, which was their last chance for a quality OOC win. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on to a late lead even with a MONSTER game from Butler (35 pts, 19 rbs).

33 turnovers, yes THIRTY THREE, was too many to overcome. Amazing it was even a close game (closer than final score indicated with Mason fouling for the last minute and a half), but that was probably due to Houston having 24 turnovers - is this normal for women's basketball?!

The Freshman Cardano-Hillary had the rare double double with 14 its and 10 TO's and 4 other players had 5 TO's each. Ouch. I thought the game tracker last night was glitching, but today's box score confirms all of the TO's.

Cardano-Hillary is the 2nd leading scorer but she is extremely inefficient, shooting only 32% and averaging over 4 TO's a game. Not sure why she takes so many more shots than Bolton.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
The team will have a real test next on the road against GW. The best I can figure out from the sagarin "predictor" ratings
( http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php), GW should be favored by 5 counting the home court advantage.

Although I must admit, there appears to be several ratings, including just looking at the data for the teams in the conference that give different ratings. Nevertheless, the 2 teams look pretty close in all the lists.

mason89

Starter
The team will have a real test next on the road against GW. The best I can figure out from the sagarin "predictor" ratings
( http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php), GW should be favored by 5 counting the home court advantage.

Although I must admit, there appears to be several ratings, including just looking at the data for the teams in the conference that give different ratings. Nevertheless, the 2 teams look pretty close in all the lists.

This should be a great test for the team. I'm not sure our overall record against GW, but it can't be good. We already beat ODU (for only the 3rd or 4th time ever) this year, so it might be a year of righting wrongs!

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Watched the game on tv. Unfortunately, the women missed a chance during the 3d quarter to pull away from a cold-shooting GW team. Other than Butler and Cardano-Hillary, the rest of the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (2-25). Some of the ugliest shots I've seen in a while.

Cardano-Hillary plays hard and has no conscience when it comes to putting up shots, but maybe that's reasonable given the lack of offense from the rest of the team. If others could hit occasionally maybe it would keep opponents from collapsing on Butler.