Pablo

Hall of Famer

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason WBB‏@MasonWBB
Head coach @NylaMilleson talking about the growth and direction of the program after today's loss to Duquesne.

https://twitter.com/MasonWBB/status/835614635252408324

2013-14: 8-23 (1-15 A10)
2014-15: 13-17 (5-11)
2015-16: 12-19 (6-10)
2016-17: 13-17 (6-10)
Looking purely at the record, that looks pretty stagnant to me. I liked what I saw when I used to go to the games in previous years, but not convinced her results are making the case. Is anyone more familiar with the team? Do they look like they are about to turn the corner?

Is this the make or break year for her?

tarvis614

Walk-On
Looking purely at the record, that looks pretty stagnant to me. I liked what I saw when I used to go to the games in previous years, but not convinced her results are making the case. Is anyone more familiar with the team? Do they look like they are about to turn the corner?

Is this the make or break year for her?

one year left on her contract.

they definitely have some young talent. started off looking improved, but relied heavily on 3 of the freshmen and kind of hit a wall the 2nd half of the A10 schedule. took some of the top teams in the conference down to the wire but couldn't finish, but also got worked over by 20-30 a couple times. another 4 freshmen coming in next season with 2 transfers becoming eligible. there's potential but definitely have to start realizing it. need stability too. roster turnover has been a big issue - none of the 2017 senior class were at mason for all 4 years and only 1 senior coming up next year.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
one year left on her contract.

they definitely have some young talent. started off looking improved, but relied heavily on 3 of the freshmen and kind of hit a wall the 2nd half of the A10 schedule. took some of the top teams in the conference down to the wire but couldn't finish, but also got worked over by 20-30 a couple times. another 4 freshmen coming in next season with 2 transfers becoming eligible. there's potential but definitely have to start realizing it. need stability too. roster turnover has been a big issue - none of the 2017 senior class were at mason for all 4 years and only 1 senior coming up next year.
Yeah, I figured it was likely her 5th year. I am guessing, with no facts, that maybe women's coaching doesn't have the same issues as men's that you can't let them coach in their last year of a contract because it would impact recruiting. Or am I wrong, and her entering the 5th year without an extension is likely saying she is likely to be gone after next year?

Thanks for the insight. A good friend that has been to a lot of women's games once said they always look like that (good in the beginning but once we hit conference play, reality sets in). Is the turnover on the team a result of the coach trying to build a better team for the future, or are players leaving the program early?

tarvis614

Walk-On
probably a little bit of not as much pressure/interest on the women's side in general, but also in a unique situation at mason where we are trying to scrape every penny together to fund a practice facility. plus she has them involved on campus and in a lot of community service so there's good pub. no idea what it would take for her to get a new contract after next year, but assuming it would have to be better than 6-10 in conference again.

mostly kids not sticking around. don't have any insight into whether it's just a stretch of bad luck with kids being kids & getting homesick or if there were other issues.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
The women have won 6 in a row for the first time in 24 years! From what I can figure out, the competition hasn't been terribly stellar, although in winning yesterday against Drake, they beat a team that was picked to win the Missouri Valley after going undefeated in that league last year.

Currently Sagarin has Mason at #98 and they play host Colorado today which is ranked in the 70s.

Apparently, Natalie Butler (Vernon Butler's daughter--for those old enough to remember, he was the second or third best player on David Robinson's Navy teams) is a graduate student transfer from UConn and is making a difference (10-13 against Drake and the leading rebounder with 4 or 5 double-doubles). Watching one of the post-game extras, the play is less than artful, but it is encouraging, at least so far. I seem to remember that last year they won more games out-of-conference than they did in the A-10. However, currently Sagarin has them the 4th best team in the A-10.

I should make a point to take in an upcoming game.....may be more to experience than just an additional opportunity to hear the Green Machine!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason is in prime location to lure grad transfers for both men and women's sports. I'm not sure how Butler landed here, but it's exciting to watch the women's team grow.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Mason is in prime location to lure grad transfers for both men and women's sports. I'm not sure how Butler landed here, but it's exciting to watch the women's team grow.

Butler is from Fairfax.

Women lost to Colorado, but they have been killing it this season (relative to years past). Definitely worthy of more attention.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Another Mason women win tonight... 7-2 record and 5-0 at home so far this year

Mason women's best start since the 2003-2004 season

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
After yesterday's blowout win, the women are 9-2 with a 7 game home winning streak.

Sagarin's "combo" rating has them at #82 nationally which places them second in the A10. However their schedule difficulty is ranked #317. Not quite as bad as the Georgetown men's schedule, but close!