Who's your Daddy?!?! - Welcome Bahaide Haidara

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
think about how many more games we would've won with Jordan Miller on the roster for an entire season. I would say we would've beaten AU, Penn, Georgia Southern, and possibly Vermont with him in the lineup, and potentially Kansas State.

Maybe...it's hard to know, since we don't have access to the practices that Paulsen was looking at the and plan they came up with (it sounds like he wasn't practicing very well until they talked about red-shirting and then all of a sudden things clicked -- this, of course, is the story Paulsen gave to us and who knows how accurate it is, but he seems oddly honest when asked direct questions, so I tend to believe him (although, we can also question his judgment if we want, too).

If Daddy is eligible and can contribute right away, even 5-8 mpg (at the 2 and 3 especially), I want him out there. He looked pretty athletic, looked like he had good handles, looked like he was a good passer, and we could use all of those things, especially when the ball gets stuck in our offense sometimes.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is an incredibly stupid statement. Programs, including the current national champs red shirt kids all the time. Deandre Hunter took a red shirt year for development......and was the #4 overall pick in the NBA draft 3 years later.
Yeah because their line ups are set. Mason doesn’t have that luxury at the moment

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah because their line ups are set. Mason doesn’t have that luxury at the moment

I mean, they pretty much are at the positions he would be playing. Unless he’s better than Kier, Greene, Miller, Boyd, and Hartwell right now (and maybe even JDS and Mar) he probably isn’t going to see much of the floor next season.

But you don’t have to declare someone a red-shirt until after the season (provided he doesn’t actually play in any games). If he’s eligible he should be fighting for playing time like the rest of them.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
But you don’t have to declare someone a red-shirt until after the season (provided he doesn’t actually play in any games). If he’s eligible he should be fighting for playing time like the rest of them.

I wish the NCAA would go the football route and allow a limited number of games w/out losing the redshirt option.

patriotchild

Starter
I guess it’s positive they listed daddy on the roster, but there’s been no official introduction yet right? If he’s ineligible is he allowed to practice with the team?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Exactly! no need to decide before the season starts

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess it’s positive they listed daddy on the roster, but there’s been no official introduction yet right? If he’s ineligible is he allowed to practice with the team?
Where is this ineligible rumor coming from? Why are people saying this? I haven't seen anything to think he would be ineligible.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Do tell! I'm genuinely interested in what one does with that degree, and I'm happy to be educated:)
I worked in minor league baseball as a sponsorship manager for 3 years, then transitioned over to college athletics at Princeton, and now at Tennessee working for Learfield IMG. The people in my particular Sport Management graduating class that have been successful took the internship and networking opportunities seriously, and the ones who did not failed to get a meaningful job in sports. The classes aren’t tough, but sustaining success in an industry that’s extremely competitive is.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I worked in minor league baseball as a sponsorship manager for 3 years, then transitioned over to college athletics at Princeton, and now at Tennessee working for Learfield IMG. The people in my particular Sport Management graduating class that have been successful took the internship and networking opportunities seriously, and the ones who did not failed to get a meaningful job in sports. The classes aren’t tough, but sustaining success in an industry that’s extremely competitive is.
I think this is great. I too interned at a sports marketing/management firm, then spent time in minor league baseball before moving on to sell sponsorships for a large sports non-profit before working on some olympic deals. However, when I would hire folks for internships or full time positions coming right from college, we would discuss if a sports marketing or sports management degree prepared someone better than a business marketing or business management degree. I am bias as I have a business management degree. Sports management wasn't a thing way back when I was in college so I didnt have that option. My perspective is this- if you can market a widget, you can market a baseball team. Opt for the business marketing degree. That degree will be broad enough that if you want to go into a sports marketing career, you can and if sports doesn't work out (jobs are very competitive) the degree is relevant everywhere.
Also, at most schools the sports marketing dept is housed in the phys ed/recreation department and not in the business dept. (not all schools, but I think Mason still hasnt moved it to the Business school yet).
Back to the topic- glad to see Daddy on the roster.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
The classes aren’t tough, but sustaining success in an industry that’s extremely competitive is.

That's pretty much what I expected.

Based on the number of college athletes that are enrolled in the major, many of whom are enrolled solely on their athletic ability and not academic accomplishments and preparation, I can't imagine it's as challenging a major as a STEM track. I was Mktg, so not throwing stones - also not Engineering or Physics.

At the same time, any "passion career" like sports, music, acting, etc. tends to be extremely competitive and not the most lucrative at the early stages at least because supply & demand. But kudos to those like yourself who are able to rise to the top and have the gumption to chase a dream over a safer route. I didn't and as I get older I do find myself wondering sometimes what might have been.

Not to speak for Herndon but I suspect that's where he was going w/it. Had a similar thought as him I didn't type out when I was looking at the roster and also noticed all the Sports Mgmt. majors.

Herndon

All-Conference
Did you find the coursework valuable? IOW, could you have done the same thing with an engineering degree, or a liberal arts degree if you took the same networking opportunities?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Did you find the coursework valuable? IOW, could you have done the same thing with an engineering degree, or a liberal arts degree if you took the same networking opportunities?
The coursework was not valuable for me in particular (as i have told Baker and Esherick) because it did not really cover sales at all. It was beat into our heads that 80% of entry level jobs in sports have a sales element to them, and my Sports Marketing & Sales class did nothing for me. This could've been because of my professor. I did not have Ruge, and have heard his class is really good. The best class I took by far was Professional Development with Casserly.

The one thing the department was really good about was connecting you with professionals in the industry, and making it relatively easy to get internships. The issue with a lot of kids (especially athletes) was that they either didn't take their practicum/internship seriously, didn't intern anywhere worth a damn, or completely made up their practicum/internship. The classes weren't very tough, but the program puts you in the right position to be successful, so it's up to the student to take advantage.

At the end of the day, i'm a sales guy who works in sports. Any marketing, business, communications, etc. student can do this, just as a Sport Management major can take their experience and adapt it to other industries. As long as athletes take it seriously, they will find success, but that goes for any major.