Who's your Daddy?!?! - Welcome Bahaide Haidara

Herndon

All-Conference
The coursework was not valuable for me in particular (as i have told Baker and Esherick) because it did not really cover sales at all. It was beat into our heads that 80% of entry level jobs in sports have a sales element to them, and my Sports Marketing & Sales class did nothing for me. This could've been because of my professor. I did not have Ruge, and have heard his class is really good. The best class I took by far was Professional Development with Casserly.

The one thing the department was really good about was connecting you with professionals in the industry, and making it relatively easy to get internships. The issue with a lot of kids (especially athletes) was that they either didn't take their practicum/internship seriously, didn't intern anywhere worth a damn, or completely made up their practicum/internship. The classes weren't very tough, but the program puts you in the right position to be successful, so it's up to the student to take advantage.

At the end of the day, i'm a sales guy who works in sports. Any marketing, business, communications, etc. student can do this, just as a Sport Management major can take their experience and adapt it to other industries. As long as athletes take it seriously, they will find success, but that goes for any major.

Actually, you brought up the real question I had, but didn't ask: does the coursework translate outside the industry? Would somebody of your major find their experience useful in a different field, do you think?

That said "the value of the program is the connections" is a perfectly valid answer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Oh, one more:

When you entered the workforce, were you trained in sales there, or was it more of a "sink or swim" type situation where either you had it or you didn't?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Actually, you brought up the real question I had, but didn't ask: does the coursework translate outside the industry? Would somebody of your major find their experience useful in a different field, do you think?

That said "the value of the program is the connections" is a perfectly valid answer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Oh, one more:

When you entered the workforce, were you trained in sales there, or was it more of a "sink or swim" type situation where either you had it or you didn't?
I was offered the opportunity to go on meetings with senior level people when i worked in baseball, but there was no formal sales training to speak of. In my opinion you either have it or you don’t. Learfield IMG does provide training from time to time, but it’s more geared towards learning new concepts and sharing strategic ideas, rather than developing a skill set.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This thread is off the rails......
You're right. Let's get it back to speculating about something none of us have any clue about. I'll start:

I think Daddy will redshirt for half the season, come in because of injury, and show that maybe he shouldn't have been redshirting.

smccart5

Starter
This is an incredibly stupid statement. Programs, including the current national champs red shirt kids all the time. Deandre Hunter took a red shirt year for development......and was the #4 overall pick in the NBA draft 3 years later.
zero reason to be a dick in the response there. Yeah if you have a realistic shot to make the NBA then it can make sense to up your draft stock. For others I think the experience of actually playing is better than sitting out. And just because a lot of programs red shirt doesn't mean it's best for player development. The coaches push red shirting on some players to even out their classes/talent/position needs so they have a consistent product every year

Dawgs99

Starter
zero reason to be a dick in the response there. Yeah if you have a realistic shot to make the NBA then it can make sense to up your draft stock. For others I think the experience of actually playing is better than sitting out. And just because a lot of programs red shirt doesn't mean it's best for player development. The coaches push red shirting on some players to even out their classes/talent/position needs so they have a consistent product every year

To me its real simple and another poster already made this statement but would you rather have 1 season with a 18 year old who may not be physically ready for D1 basketball or the 23 year old version of that same kid with 4 years of development? The only issue with red shirting at Mason's level now is you have to worry about kids transferring up for that 5th year after graduation.

OP
p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life

Starter
since we are 11 games into the season...do we seek a medical redshirt (wrist) on Bahaide, or will he help give our small forwards some depth in the event of foul trouble during the conference schedule? I like the fact we have a pretty decent 9 man rotation with JDS entrenched in the last spot off the bench...Do we need him this year? I say save him for a year if we can.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
since we are 11 games into the season...do we seek a medical redshirt (wrist) on Bahaide, or will he help give our small forwards some depth in the event of foul trouble during the conference schedule? I like the fact we have a pretty decent 9 man rotation with JDS entrenched in the last spot off the bench...Do we need him this year? I say save him for a year if we can.
Agreed. Redshirt at this point.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Redshirt him. If we were pushing for a tournament birth it might be worth burning a year to get some depth. But I'm sure the extra year of practice and development will serve us better down the road than him getting five minutes a game for a team that likely won't see the post-season.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Its possible that Daddy decides to transfer with that 5th year of eligibility. Mason is 10-1. I would like to keep winning so more hands on deck now seems like a good idea.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its possible that Daddy decides to transfer with that 5th year of eligibility. Mason is 10-1. I would like to keep winning so more hands on deck now seems like a good idea.
Him grad transferring would be an amazing problem to have. Let’s hope we get that lucky.

emjayar08

Sixth Man
Anyone notice that Daddy is gonna be a 22 yr old freshman in April?

Unless my math is wrong, he's gonna be 26 by his RS Senior season. WTH??!

Let the Daddy jokes commence...

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Damn, didn’t someone say he grew an inch this year too?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I was told he would only have 3 years of eligibility anyway based on how things lined up with the Canada education so it worked out with the redshirt.

Never realized how old he was though.