What are you watching now that sports are canceled?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Sweet... and a quick glimpse of my son and I at the end!

Didn't Gus Johnson cover our games in Dayton during our Final Four run?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve been putting a serious dent in my little collection in addition to watching everything on streaming and am going to need to pick up a few more before I run out.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve been putting a serious dent in my little collection in addition to watching everything on streaming and am going to need to pick up a few more before I run out.

What do you like to read?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Washington's Crossing
Empire of the Summer Moon
Flashman
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Unbroken
Bringing Down the House
Sex on the Moon
The Andromeda Strain (apropos)
Theodore Rex

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't read as much mainstream fiction as I used to, but here's a list of some stuff I've liked semi-recently:

"Scrapper" by Matt Bell
"Isle of Youth: Stories" by Laura Van Den Berg
"The Incendiaries" by R.O. Kwon
"The Brief History of the Dead" by Kevin Brockmeier
"Evidence of V" by Sheila O'Connor
"The Tusk That Did the Damage" by Tania James (currently a professor at GMU)
"Love and Shame and Love" by Peter Orner
"Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi
"Ball: Stories" by Tara Ison
"When We Walked Above the Clouds: Memoir" H. Lee Barnes (green beret during Vietnam that focuses more on the psychology of the down-time and less on the battles he fought)
"A Doubter's Almanac" by Ethan Canin
"The Mad Feast: An Ecstatic Tour Through America's Food" by Matthew Gavin Frank (much weirder than it sounds)
"Of This New World" by Allegra Hyde
"Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng (she also wrote Little Fires Everywhere which was adapted and premiered on Hulu last week, but I like this one better)
"Battleborn" by Claire Vaye Watkins
"Isadora" by Amelia Gray
"Perfume" by Patrick Suskind

Some titles coming up that look interesting:

"The Only Good Indians" by Stephen Graham Jones
"The Heartsick Diaspora" by Elaine Chiew (Myriad Editions)
"She-Clown" by Hannah Vincent (Myriad Editions)
"The Busker" by Liam Murray Bell (Myriad Editions)
"You've Got Something Coming" by Jonathan Starke (Black Heron Press)

Some tried and true "classics" if you haven't read them yet:

"All the President's Men" by Robert Penn Warren
"The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje
"All the Light You Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
"Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass
"Underworld" by Don DeLillo
"The Plot Against America" by Philip Roth
"The Jazz Trilogy: Beloved, Jazz, Paradise" by Toni Morrison
"Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin
"Kindred" by Octavia Butler
"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula K. LeGuin

That's all I've got for now.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What do you like to read?
I’ve been binging on some dystopian novels lately, enjoy mil sci fi, dystopian, historical fiction, mostly. Just finished up United States of Japan, Enders Game series, Endless War, Starship Troopers, mortal engines, American war, and an about to start man in the high castle. Also like books that have been flipped to shows and movies to compare them.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ve been binging on some dystopian novels lately, enjoy mil sci fi, dystopian, historical fiction, mostly. Just finished up United States of Japan, Enders Game series, Endless War, Starship Troopers, mortal engines, American war, and an about to start man in the high castle. Also like books that have been flipped to shows and movies to compare them.

Have you read LeGuin? She takes more of an anthropological standpoint, more diplomacy and politics, less military and battles, but the Hainish cycle might be up your alley. It's 10 books in total (might occupy you for awhile).

Claire Vaye Watkins also wrote a near-future novel about what happens when Lake Meade disappears called Gold Fame Citrus...it gets really weird after the first 100 pages (hint: her father was Paul Watkins, a lieutenant for Charles Manson).

And if you haven't read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, that is a relentless gut punch.

If you like Philip K. Dick, there's the cyberpunk writers that come after him like William Gibson (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive), Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, Crytonomicon).

Also, Tad Williams Otherland series (would be like a precursor to something like Ready Player One, but much more expansive and interesting).

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Have you read LeGuin? She takes more of an anthropological standpoint, more diplomacy and politics, less military and battles, but the Hainish cycle might be up your alley. It's 10 books in total (might occupy you for awhile).

Claire Vaye Watkins also wrote a near-future novel about what happens when Lake Meade disappears called Gold Fame Citrus...it gets really weird after the first 100 pages (hint: her father was Paul Watkins, a lieutenant for Charles Manson).

And if you haven't read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, that is a relentless gut punch.

If you like Philip K. Dick, there's the cyberpunk writers that come after him like William Gibson (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive), Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, Crytonomicon).

Also, Tad Williams Otherland series (would be like a precursor to something like Ready Player One, but much more expansive and interesting).

This is what I needed in my life. See you all in a month.

The thread is "what are you watching?" You dont watch books.

Please keep the thread on topic or I will report you to Kaufman and he will deal with you esoteric jackasses with swift moderator justice.

I watched Ford v Ferrari and finished up Cobra Kai. Both were f**king bad a** like Kaufman

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The thread is "what are you watching?" You dont watch books.

Please keep the thread on topic or I will report you to Kaufman and he will deal with you esoteric jackasses with swift moderator justice.

I watched Ford v Ferrari and finished up Cobra Kai. Both were f*cking bad a** like Kaufman

Speak for yourself, all of my books have pictures and some of the pictures even pop up off the pages. All I do is stare at them, I went to George Mason I don’t even know how to read.