Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dec. 1974. Have seen a lot of ups and downs with this team. The Ernie Nestor years were the worst. And of course seeing the 2006 game in DC against Connecticut was fantastic beyond words. I don't think a lot of the younger guys on this board realize how good some of the old time Mason players really were.

When Patrick Stevens posts updates to the Mason scoring list I try to recall some of the players. Wife is a grad of Mason and she was in a couple classes with Jon Larranaga. We went to a few games during the 2001 season. I knew who Carlos Yates was and my Fandom I guess began in 2001. Went to the NIT game in 2004 and saw the 2006 team play at MCIVerizonCapitalOneCenterArena. Didn't start courtside pics until January 2013

Aways get a little sad when Jay Marsh is passed on Patrick's update.

Raised a Terps fan via my Dad and always think what if that pass gets to George Evans and Mason wins that 2001 NCAAT game. Could have altered the course of Terrapin basketball...

Just rambling while sipping coffee at Wegmans in Sterling on this Thanksgiving morning. Have a good one everyone!

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When Patrick Stevens posts updates to the Mason scoring list I try to recall some of the players. Wife is a grad of Mason and she was in a couple classes with Jon Larranaga. We went to a few games during the 2001 season. I knew who Carlos Yates was and my Fandom I guess began in 2001. Went to the NIT game in 2004 and saw the 2006 team play at MCIVerizonCapitalOneCenterArena. Didn't start courtside pics until January 2013

Aways get a little sad when Jay Marsh is passed on Patrick's update.

Raised a Terps fan via my Dad and always think what if that pass gets to George Evans and Mason wins that 2001 NCAAT game. Could have altered the course of Terrapin basketball...

Just rambling while sipping coffee at Wegmans in Sterling on this Thanksgiving morning. Have a good one everyone!
I wanted us to give Erik Herring the ball, instead of Evans, on that possession. Terps didn't have an answer for him that day.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dec. 1974. Have seen a lot of ups and downs with this team. The Ernie Nestor years were the worst. And of course seeing the 2006 game in DC against Connecticut was fantastic beyond words. I don't think a lot of the younger guys on this board realize how good some of the old time Mason players really were.
Yates, Rob Rose, Ricky Wilson, Kenny "the Chemist" Sanders, Dykes, Steve Smith, Amp Davis, Brian Miller, etc.

Lots of folks on this board can tell you who the last Mason player was to play in the NBA (it's been a long time), but it might surprise people to know that we had not one (1), but two (2) players from the same class play in the NBA -- Wilson and Rob Rose (both very short stints - blips really - but it counts...).

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Haven't seen it posted yet. Future schedule for Coach's Show:
• Monday, December 19
• Monday, January 2
• Wednesday, January 18
• Monday, January 30
• Monday, February 13
• March Show TBD

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is the coaches show anywhere so I can view? At a Christmas party last night so I have an excuse for not watching live...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Genuinely interested in folks opinion

What do folks think of the Coach's show? Is it too non-basketball focused? Just enough?

I personally like the format, like that they bring someone from the team on every week etc. I enjoy the insights from the recent games and a little bit of a preview to the upcoming game. The basketball part is always my favorite. I did enjoy Josh as a guest last night and also hearing about what the team did before the Tulane game. I chuckled that they had someone from McDonald's executive team speak to them.

What do folks think of the questions that Bill asks? I think some of them are good, but I am not sure they are as deep or delivered as best they could be. Its hard for me to articulate exactly (and I'm not the one doing it and couldn't do better), but perhaps that is something that maybe needs an area of work?

I just noticed that only about 20 of us were livestreaming last night on Youtube. Now that its here, if we don't give support or provide feedback, there won't be a reason to necessarily continue it.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Genuinely interested in folks opinion

What do folks think of the Coach's show? Is it too non-basketball focused? Just enough?

I personally like the format, like that they bring someone from the team on every week etc. I enjoy the insights from the recent games and a little bit of a preview to the upcoming game. The basketball part is always my favorite. I did enjoy Josh as a guest last night and also hearing about what the team did before the Tulane game. I chuckled that they had someone from McDonald's executive team speak to them.

What do folks think of the questions that Bill asks? I think some of them are good, but I am not sure they are as deep or delivered as best they could be. Its hard for me to articulate exactly (and I'm not the one doing it and couldn't do better), but perhaps that is something that maybe needs an area of work?

I just noticed that only about 20 of us were livestreaming last night on Youtube, and heard that only 2 mason fans showed up in person last night. I just hope its the holiday season (amongst other seasons) that is preventing in person interest since this was something that many of us advocated for, for years. Now that its here, if we don't give support or provide feedback, there won't be a reason to necessarily continue it.
Coaches show was great to see in person last night. CKE is charismatic and Josh has a bright future after basketball. I think the production of the show (5 or so folks is great). I know the older fans and this board have deep love for Bill but he isn’t very good at it. CKE corrected him 3-4 times on very basic stuff and he asked a bunch of questions CKE clearly didn’t want to answer at times. I liked the segment with Josh and I thought Bill had great questions there. I thought the best questions were those that came from the 11 person live audience when talking to CKE.
I hope they keep doing it and I would suggest folks go see it live if you can as it is much more of a production and effort than I imagined.

TLDR maybe someone with a bit more personality could host the show with CKE.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I love the coaches show. The fun stuff is great. I think it is a nice addition to the pure basketball stuff.

For the record, I counted 28 live attendees (1 might have been Josh) so it could have been 27.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love the coaches show. The fun stuff is great. I think it is a nice addition to the pure basketball stuff.

For the record, I counted 28 live attendees (1 might have been Josh) so it could have been 27.
You would think you would know what Josh looks like by now ;)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not surprised the show isn’t attracting much of an online audience — as noted, it’s the kind of thing that’s best experienced in person and getting 25-plus people out to a restaurant on a Monday night to interact with CKE and the players is pretty good by Mason’s standards.

Glad they’re doing it and hope they stick with it — beyond just running the basketball program, Kim is an incredible ambassador for the university and we need to get the face of Mason out in the public as often as he is willing.

If I lived closer I would go to all of them, but a 4-hour roundtrip is just too much.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I didn’t count all 11 members of the McKay family or the staff (I sat next to a group of academic advisors that worked for the school)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn’t count all 11 members of the McKay family or the staff (I sat next to a group of academic advisors that worked for the school)
I counted all of the McKays (5 including Kathy) and all of my family (4, sometimes it is two of us sometimes it is all four). I did not count patriot club staff, but I did count the academic advisors since they came because they were interested not because it was their job. I haven't seen them there before so far this year, either.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Been meaning to go but I cover high school hoops and Monday I’m usually somewhere taking photos. Maybe one day I’ll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.