Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Look, all Mason can do at this juncture is show commitment to Kim, through an extension or whatever. I don't think Kim at Providence makes much sense, but nobody has a crystal ball.

This most likely will be an annual exercise, but Mason needs to show everyone we are serious about trying to keep Kim if he ends up sticking around, and reward him with an extension. It may not do anything, but its optics.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think this is a play from Kim's agent. While Kim is a good guy/coach he still hasn't won anything that would make a bigger school envy. Sure he talks the talk and looks that part. However, imo, its his agent doing his work to get his client an extension or a bigger job. Hopefully, KE will do what Coach L did and tell Prov to f off.

I wonder if Dr. W is handling this personally since we have no AD yet.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think this is a play from Kim's agent. While Kim is a good guy/coach he still hasn't won anything that would make a bigger school envy. Sure he talks the talk and looks that part. However, imo, its his agent doing his work to get his client an extension or a bigger job. Hopefully, KE will do what Coach L did and tell Prov to f off.

I wonder if Dr. W is handling this personally since we have no AD yet.
Hope its Dr. W!

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I said at the beginning of the season that there'd be risk with him leaving and then obviously backed off there after the Paradise Jam run (and the team's struggles away from the Pat Dome.) So surprised, but not shocked.

Hope he stays, obviously.

the more I think about it, this would make sense for Kim to move to Providence. I've seen crazier things happen like Kyle Neptune landing Villanova last year.

Mason ticket sales are dreadful. Brad Edwards was ran out of here. no Athletic Director in place, and after two years, and meh results, does he deserve an extension here? I think he clearly knows how to recruit, but I don't think an extension is warranted yet.

Masonfan3

Starter
the more I think about it, this would make sense for Kim to move to Providence. I've seen crazier things happen like Kyle Neptune landing Villanova last year.

Mason ticket sales are dreadful. Brad Edwards was ran out of here. no Athletic Director in place, and after two years, and meh results, does he deserve an extension here? I think he clearly knows how to recruit, but I don't think an extension is warranted yet.

Kyle Neptune took over a Fordham program that was dead last in the A10 and finished top 8 in his first/ only year. CKE took over a team that had 5 straight winning seasons. Now, those 5 seasons weren't great but it's not like we were a dumpster fire like Fordham was when Neptune took over.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Brad Edwards was not great by any means. Soccer sucks, baseball isn't any better. What programs have actually improved? Brad was too busy hiring his boys blowing money on people who really brought nothing. That hire by him was really a joke for a school that doesn't even have a football team. With that said, they make one call and one call only if English leaves. Would rather Skinn flop miserably than hire another dude like Paulsen. Guys like Paulsen will never win at mason. The A10 is too tough and the reality is like it or not they just have to gamble or someone young who won't cost a fortune. However maybe English sticks around for a couple more. Providence is not a final destination job. The acc is full of horrible coaches right now. Outside 4 jobs every other job is very up in the air and he could just as easily wait and take one of those. If he fails at providence he has to start all over. Mason brings patience and time.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Kyle Neptune took over a Fordham program that was dead last in the A10 and finished top 8 in his first/ only year. CKE took over a team that had 5 straight winning seasons. Now, those 5 seasons weren't great but it's not like we were a dumpster fire like Fordham was when Neptune took over.

He was also an assistant at Villanova for eight years who was most likely hand-picked by Jay Wright to be his successor. Definitely an apples-to-oranges thing.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Because Shrewsbury isn’t gonna take the job. He’s in the running for Notre Dame and could always opt to stay for a huge raise at Penn State.
Assuming Penn State wants to spend that kind of money on basketball which isn't a given...Good luck selling a CKE hire to a P5 fan base at this point. If the "worst" did happen, I'd be disappointed, but would probably be more taken aback if we offered a 3 year extension. Big difference between showing you're "serious" about basketball and just being fiscally irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.