Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonfan3

Starter
He was also an assistant at Villanova for eight years who was most likely hand-picked by Jay Wright to be his successor. Definitely an apples-to-oranges thing.
Yes. I was just focusing on his Head Coaching experience. What he did at Fordham in one year is a lot more than what CKE has done in 2 years. Not a knock on CKE but a credit to what Neptune accomplished.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It absolutely makes sense for CKE if it's real. Look at Ed Cooley's time there. Providence showed patience when he had a three year drought and then he took them to the Sweet 16.
Agreed. CKE would get a nice salary bump and he'd likely take a few assets with him: Gaines, Fernandez, Polite, and maybe Oduro, as well as any of his incoming recruits who he thinks are Big East-caliber.

If CKE stays and whiffs again at the portal (and Oduro moves to Europe), he's looking at another .500 record (or worse) next year. At that point, CKE ceases to even get mentioned when the Ed Cooley's of the world change jobs.

Plus, a move to the Big East plays to English's strength as a recruiter.

Dr. Washington: please extend CKE and bump his salary. When you hired him you knew Mason would have to step up to keep him so let's get on with it!!

Shrewsberry is going to Notre Dame or staying put at Penn State.

Kimmy will take Oduro, and Ticket with him.

BOTTOM LINE: Kimmy just made himself a TON of money with today's rumored news. Either he gets Providence job as reported, or Mason Admin will buck up and extend him a year or two. well played Kimmy, well played.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Now American Targeting Simpkins. Tony Skinn has to be in running for that job as well. If we know how mason does things they miss out on all of them when English leaves. Leaving them with some hire out of the Patriot that fails miserably again.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming Penn State wants to spend that kind of money on basketball which isn't a given...Good luck selling a CKE hire to a P5 fan base at this point. If the "worst" did happen, I'd be disappointed, but would probably be more taken aback if we offered a 3 year extension. Big difference between showing you're "serious" about basketball and just being fiscally irresponsible.
So are you saying that you wouldn't' want to extend English 3 years at this point?

Not saying he deserves that much of an extension. But to me, judging from how the market for coaches is, I would definitely throw a year or two at Kim if he stays.

Is there a rush? No not really, but when you see Urgo get extended after his first year (and yes he did amazing things according to Fordham standards in year 1), and many coaches get extensions, I would hope that Mason would do the same thing. Now obviously, it means absolutely nothing other than its optics that the school is trying to keep someone and is behind them. Its just my .02. Last thing I want to hear is that Kim didnt' feel like Mason valued him and didn't give him the extension he felt he deserved (or any extension).

So are you saying that you wouldn't' want to extend English 3 years at this point?

Not saying he deserves that much of an extension. But to me, judging from how the market for coaches is, I would definitely throw a year or two at Kim if he stays.

Is there a rush? No not really, but when you see Urgo get extended after his first year (and yes he did amazing things according to Fordham standards in year 1), and many coaches get extensions, I would hope that Mason would do the same thing. Now obviously, it means absolutely nothing other than its optics that the school is trying to keep someone and is behind them. Its just my .02. Last thing I want to hear is that Kim didnt' feel like Mason valued him and didn't give him the extension he felt he deserved (or any extension).

IF we DO extend Kimmy 2-3 years, I would have a hefty buyout in place. I don't want to deal with this crap every year.

Do we even have a buyout in place now? I don't want to give Brad Edwards that much credit.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Assuming Penn State wants to spend that kind of money on basketball which isn't a given...Good luck selling a CKE hire to a P5 fan base at this point. If the "worst" did happen, I'd be disappointed, but would probably be more taken aback if we offered a 3 year extension. Big difference between showing you're "serious" about basketball and just being fiscally irresponsible.
Lawdog - to play devil's advocate, the bloom is not off the KE rose (yet). He's still perceived as a young and talented, highly-regarded, up-and-coming coach, and his record at Mason does not dimish that. Did he work magic? No, but he showed modest improvement and notched 20 wins for a school that hasn't hit that number for five years. I suspect the Providence fan base would be perfectly content were CKE hired to replace Cooley.

Masonfan3

Starter

Last thing I want is for the university to just be handing out extensions for the hell of it. Do I think CKE can coach, sure. But has he been successful as our coach, I don't think so. I think if you would have asked him when he was hired what his goals were, I am pretty sure he wouldn't have said to barely be above .500 and win a grand total of 1 game in the A10 tournament.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Last thing I want is for the university to just be handing out extensions for the hell of it. Do I think CKE can coach, sure. But has he been successful as our coach, I don't think so. I think if you would have asked him when he was hired what his goals were, I am pretty sure he wouldn't have said to barely be above .500 and win a grand total of 1 game in the A10 tournament.
I don't think they would be handing out extensions for the heck of it. Its debatable on whether he deserves one, but again if you look at what everyone else in the "market" does, plenty of coaches get extended for his level of work (in my opinion, although I have not validated). It doesn't mean he sticks around its just optics.
IF we DO extend Kimmy 2-3 years, I would have a hefty buyout in place. I don't want to deal with this crap every year.

Do we even have a buyout in place now? I don't want to give Brad Edwards that much credit.
Hopefully they would put in that amongst other provisions, like owing us a game or whatever. I'm not sure what logistics they have in place.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I suspect the Providence fan base would be perfectly content were CKE hired to replace Cooley.
Disagree. PC boosters and fan base won't risk what Cooley built and not give guys like Chris Mack or Bobby Hurley a look. Other than people saying Kim is gonna be a star, wtf has he won? Nothing. If PC wants to take a big risk, then so be it. I doubt KE goes.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Disagree. PC boosters and fan base won't risk what Cooley built and not give guys like Chris Mack or Bobby Hurley a look. Other than people saying Kim is gonna be a star, wtf has he won? Nothing. If PC wants to take a big risk, then so be it. I doubt KE goes.

They hired Cooley from Fairfield where he never made the NCAA tourney.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They hired Cooley from Fairfield where he never made the NCAA tourney.
True but he finished 2nd then 1st in his conference the previous two years prior to leaving Fairfield. Including the 27 pt come back win over Coach L in the CIT.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good point about Bobby Hurley. No doubt he would love to move back east and coach against his brother. And I agree there are more exciting hires than CKE, but that doesn't mean the alumni would be dissatisfied with CKE.

As for Chris Mack, he says he's staying on the sidelines this year (for whatever that is worth): https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Lo...-return-to-coaching-in-2023-cycle--206674841/

Status
Not open for further replies.