Welcome Joel Kabimba

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If you combine Mbaye and Mayimba and Kim you get Kabimba.
GIF by South Park

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I like it that we got a replacement for Mbaye right away, but I am very disappointed we lost this guy. From all accounts, he is really, really good and probably would have been excellent playing for Mason. After all, how many guys have we lost in the past who decided to go pro anywhere in the world in lieu of playing for Mason as a freshman? My guess is before today that number was zero.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like it that we got a replacement for Mbaye right away, but I am very disappointed we lost this guy. From all accounts, he is really, really good and probably would have been excellent playing for Mason. After all, how many guys have we lost in the past who decided to go pro anywhere in the world in lieu of playing for Mason as a freshman? My guess is before today that number was zero.

Yeah, I was looking forward to a season where we had Jones, Mbaye, and Henry all starting together. That’s not going to happen anymore.

But at least now we’ve got two players battling for the 12-15 mpg when Oduro won’t be on the floor and if a big gets into foul trouble or gets injured we won’t have to give a guard time at the five.

The starting five probably remains unchanged (although I had hope that Mbaye would take the 4 spot). Polite, Cooper, Schwartz, Ticket, Oduro.

Henry and Kabimba will fight for minutes behind Oduro; Frazier, Gadsden, and Jones will fight for minutes behind Gaines and Schwartz.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No idea what his situation would be regarding eligibility but if he or the staff had any doubts I’m glad he decided to say screw it and go pro. No point in waiting around.

I wish him the best and look forward to seeing him on the court in Europe.

Mbaye not coming is a huge loss. Sucks.
Yes, it sucks...however Mbaye wasn't getting more than 10 MPG behind Oduro (using a guess that Oduro plays 30 MPG) this season...

At the 4 we have a combination of Schwartz, Jones, Henry, and Kabimba...

My starting 5 as of today:

Hartwell, Cooper, Ticket, Schwartz, Oduro

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Yes, it sucks...however Mbaye wasn't getting more than 10 MPG behind Oduro (using a guess that Oduro plays 30 MPG) this season...

At the 4 we have a combination of Schwartz, Jones, Henry, and Kabimba...

My starting 5 as of today:

Hartwell, Cooper, Ticket, Schwartz, Oduro
I'll agree to disagree with you on this. I think Mbaye had a legitimate shot to start at the 4 and have an immediate impact. I saw him as being a potential program changer in the same way that George Evans was. I may be right, I may be way off in my estimation. Unfortunately we'll never know...........

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll start by saying I’m happy to have Joel - seems like a fantastic kid and should be able to give us some depth. What follows is no shot at him and I’ll probably root for him more than others because of his back story.

Mbaya really screwed us. I have not heard any background on why he’s not coming, but this hurts. He was one that I was really excited about.

I’m not sure what I’m more pissed about, Mbaya not coming, or all the other players we missed out on recruiting because we thought Mbaya was coming. There were a ton of kids we could have used that scholarship on, specifically transfers.

If this was a Mbaya decision, that’s a pretty d!ck move. If this was an eligibility issue, then I feel bad for Mbaya… but it’s the first L for Kim. He took a gamble and lost. If you know a kid might not be eligible, that’s a pretty risky move. Luckily, we were still able to get someone that can give us minutes. I’m not saying we shouldn’t roll the dice on kids like this, just pointing out that it does look like Kim is human after all. My guess is they knew it was a risk and thought with so many kids in the portal, they could probably still grab someone decent.

I’ll start by saying I’m happy to have Joel - seems like a fantastic kid and should be able to give us some depth. What follows is no shot at him and I’ll probably root for him more than others because of his back story.

Mbaya really screwed us. I have not heard any background on why he’s not coming, but this hurts. He was one that I was really excited about.

I’m not sure what I’m more pissed about, Mbaya not coming, or all the other players we missed out on recruiting because we thought Mbaya was coming. There were a ton of kids we could have used that scholarship on, specifically transfers.

If this was a Mbaya decision, that’s a pretty d!ck move. If this was an eligibility issue, then I feel bad for Mbaya… but it’s the first L for Kim. He took a gamble and lost. If you know a kid might not be eligible, that’s a pretty risky move. Luckily, we were still able to get someone that can give us minutes. I’m not saying we shouldn’t roll the dice on kids like this, just pointing out that it does look like Kim is human after all. My guess is they knew it was a risk and thought with so many kids in the portal, they could probably still grab someone decent.

totally agree with you dr. gunnie, however it's happening everywhere in College Hoops...look at the P5 schools (Maryland for example) who lost both Daryl Morsell (grad transfer) and Aaron Wiggins to NBA in the past week. Maryland was a top 10 team with both of them coming back, now they are lucky to be Top 25.

College Basketball has been ruined by Grad Transfers/Covid/and NBA Defections. I'm happy they got the NIL issue sorted out, hopefully that will make fringe players stay in college.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Isn’t that why it’s called “gambling,” though? Sometimes you take a chance and lose. The staff obviously thought Mbaye’s upside was worth the risk and even though it didn’t work out I like the aggressiveness.
I’ll take this every day of the week and twice on sundays over the alternative. We saw what a conservative approach to recruiting and transfers got us, and we decided to move on and try something new. It’s a high risk, high reward move and I like it. Swing for the fences.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Looking thru Joel's Twitter, there several short highlight videos and more recent workout videos that look pretty decent. Looks like he will be a serviceable backup at the 5. Based on his tape, he is definitely a better option than another year of Calixte would have been. Welcome Joel!
I think the Calixte comparison is a good one and I’d agree, that’s the role I’m guessing he’ll be filling. If we can get 5 and 5 out of him that’s a step up from where we were.