Welcome Devin Dinkins!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It’ll be interesting to see with the guys English recruits as freshmen on how many of them look ready for D1 ball or need some adjusting. Usually we are so used to guys who need some time to adjust, but if he truly is recruiting the borderline BCS players or BCS players, there may be some that look very ready.

Dinkins seems like he’s a BCS player judging from his offer sheet, so I’ll be very intrigued at how he looks from the get go.
Depending on what we see from Polite/Gray next season, there’s a realistic scenario where Dinkins is the starting PG on Day 1. That could be a good or bad thing….

He15man

Starter
It’ll be interesting to see with the guys English recruits as freshmen on how many of them look ready for D1 ball or need some adjusting. Usually we are so used to guys who need some time to adjust, but if he truly is recruiting the borderline BCS players or BCS players, there may be some that look very ready.

Dinkins seems like he’s a BCS player judging from his offer sheet, so I’ll be very intrigued at how he looks from the get go.
Totally agree. My gut tells me he'll recruit the guys who are PHYSICALLY capable of contributing day 1; the main thing that'll impact how much they play will be their basketball IQ and how quickly they learn the mental side of KE's system. But as far as Dinkins goes, if he was as big a priority as it sounds, i'd be willing to bet Kim thinks he's not just physically ready, but mentally ready to run the point at the college level.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed with you guys. Also, I know playing freshmen is tricky and not typically how you win in d1 basketball, so the hope is that while some of these guys are ready, they don’t have to be THE guy immediately.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Depending on what we see from Polite/Gray next season, there’s a realistic scenario where Dinkins is the starting PG on Day 1. That could be a good or bad thing….

Also depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out, Polite and/or Gray may also be starting as other than Cooper there aren’t any other prototypical shooting guards on the roster right now. I’ve heard a lot about Gray being able to play off ball, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility, especially if Dinkins can create for himself at the A10 level right away.

Frazier is another possibility, maybe? But there is a lot of development he will need this year to be able to play at the 2 as a junior.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

I hope not. Not a knock on Dinkins at all, but if we've got a true freshman running the point from Day 1 while still learning the system, that doesn't bode well for the depth and development at the position a year later.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Even if they're capable of contributions, let's hope that the depth is there after a one or two seasons that they won't be needed to.

Dinkins for example, say he does come in and earns the start from Day 1. I'd expect that he wouldn't go back to the bench in favor of a freshman the following year, but continue to be the starter and/or get significant minutes the next three years as he continues to develop.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn’t wish for anything. Still extremely rare. Kid didn’t de-commit to go to another college. I think we have another Mayimba situation.

Mayimba didn’t have 4 credits of English because he did his freshman year in Africa. Real shitty of the NCAA to do him like that.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I had to laugh at the rim and balls on the steps. Might be just me, but that seems like an odd shot.