Welcome Devin Dinkins!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
George Mason Men's Basketball Retweeted

Steve Turner
@GonzagaHoops
·
4h

A Big Congrats to @Devin2__ (Devin Dinkins ‘22) on becoming a 1,000pt scorer last night! #EyeStreetHoops

FL9mp9CWUAIcSdK

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just got back from the game. Here are DD's stats for the day and a few observations.
Gonzaga won 66-52.

16 points on 6 for 15 shooting (3-7 from 3)
1-2 from the foul stripe
4 assists
2 rebounds
0 turnovers
2 steals

The good: DD clearly understands the score, game, and clock situations. He knew what to do and when to do it, especially at the end of the game. He played 32 out of 32 minutes. He can be a good on the ball defender when he wants to. He clearly ramped up his play in the 4th quarter.

The not so good: He forced a number of shots when trying to penetrate into the lane. His dribble was a bit loose on a few occasions. He would have had several turnovers had the ball bounced a different way. He is small.

Please take everything with a grain of salt. This was the first time I have seen him play in person. I trust that KE knows a lot more about the game than I do and that he knows what he wants in a player. Time will answer all questions.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A side note: The student sections for both teams were fun to watch and listen to. Coordinated cheers, some were fairly creative. Our students could learn a lot by watch the high school kids. If you have nothing better to do hit up the tourney at Robinson.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just got back from the game. Here are DD's stats for the day and a few observations.
Gonzaga won 66-52.

16 points on 6 for 15 shooting (3-7 from 3)
1-2 from the foul stripe
4 assists
2 rebounds
0 turnovers
2 steals

The good: DD clearly understands the score, game, and clock situations. He knew what to do and when to do it, especially at the end of the game. He played 32 out of 32 minutes. He can be a good on the ball defender when he wants to. He clearly ramped up his play in the 4th quarter.

The not so good: He forced a number of shots when trying to penetrate into the lane. His dribble was a bit loose on a few occasions. He would have had several turnovers had the ball bounced a different way. He is small.

Please take everything with a grain of salt. This was the first and only time I have seen him play in person. I trust that KE knows a lot more about the game than I do and that he knows what he wants in a player. Time will answer all questions.

Thanks for the recap. Basically he sucks and we should get ready for him to suck ;)

Excited to see what he can do. Certainly can use his help.

(Completely kidding for those reading this that are dense)

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thanks for the recap. Basically he sucks and we should get ready for him to suck ;)

Excited to see what he can do. Certainly can use his help.

(Completely kidding for those reading this that are dense)
I think what MK is trying to say is that Dinkins will take freshman classes, he'll get freshman minutes, he'll miss freshman shots, he'll get his freshman layups blocked like a clubbed baby seal, he'll have freshman turnovers, and he'll have a few awesome freshman moments... Dinkins will be a freshman point guard.

But as a sophomore...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think what MK is trying to say is that Dinkins will take freshman classes, he'll get freshman minutes, he'll miss freshman shots, he'll get his freshman layups blocked like a clubbed baby seal, he'll have freshman turnovers, and he'll have a few awesome freshman moments... Dinkins will be a freshman point guard.

But as a sophomore...

Lol I mean usually I always expect freshmen to have adjustment time but considering how well Dinkins is rated, who was after him, etc, the adjustment time may not be so long. We’ll see.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Lol I mean usually I always expect freshmen to have adjustment time but considering how well Dinkins is rated, who was after him, etc, the adjustment time may not be so long. We’ll see.
I think the opposite just due to his size. But he is experienced against high level competition and all that you mentioned.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the opposite just due to his size. But he is experienced against high level competition and all that you mentioned.
Yeah agreed. I mean even if he plays 10-15 a game and is more good than not, we could use him and give XJ a break to be off the ball at times. My guess is that size won't be too much of an issue with his abilities considering his offers etc. That just means he is quicker making decisions, creates his own shot etc etc etc.

I expect big things out of him and Fernandez in general.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah agreed. I mean even if he plays 10-15 a game and is more good than not, we could use him and give XJ a break to be off the ball at times. My guess is that size won't be too much of an issue with his abilities considering his offers etc. That just means he is quicker making decisions, creates his own shot etc etc etc.

I expect big things out of him and Fernandez in general.

If XJ comes back and is the XJ from the last 5 games, that’ll take a lot of pressure off of needing Dinkins to be a huge contributor right away.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anything better than Polite and Hartwell (which does not seem hard to find) is a win immediately for the program next year. He’s a freshman but I have no doubt he is better than Hartwell this very second

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What's he rated?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What's he rated?
3 star from 24/7- and overall just from his offer sheet, very very good

If XJ comes back and is the XJ from the last 5 games, that’ll take a lot of pressure off of needing Dinkins to be a huge contributor right away.
I don't disagree. That is why whatever we get from Dinkins is a plus. However, I still believe that XJ could use a help in the backcourt in general.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the 2nd half of Gonzaga vs Wilson last Friday. I was underwhelmed with Dinkins. Obviously a very small sample size, but he didn't look ready yet to me...

and I say this as good news because my track record on predicting recruit's success is awful.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I watched the 2nd half of Gonzaga vs Wilson last Friday. I was underwhelmed with Dinkins. Obviously a very small sample size, but he didn't look ready yet to me...

and I say this as good news because my track record on predicting recruit's success is awful.
Way to establish expectations... I think. :googlyeyed: