Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
I hate that Tony's welcome thread has dropped from the top.

I hate that I won't be able to criticize a Mason MBB coach next year. (A Mason legend has earned the right to not be criticized by some dumbass like me . . . for at least three years.)

I hate that I am using the wrong thread.
My only worry is Mason gets into a DC United situation. Team legend Ben Olsen gets hired as coach and is given way too long a leash because management is too afraid of firing the team legend. So he stayed on as coach 5 or 6 mediocre seasons too long. Things had to get really bad before he was shown the door.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My only worry is Mason gets into a DC United situation. Team legend Ben Olsen gets hired as coach and is given way too long a leash because management is too afraid of firing the team legend. So he stayed on as coach 5 or 6 mediocre seasons too long. Things had to get really bad before he was shown the door.
Always a concern when hiring one of your own. But that risk was worth taking.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Yeah but Ben Olsen was kind of pressed into service too early. He didn’t even have a full year as an assistant before he was made head coach. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do at Houston now that he has a decade of coaching under his belt and few years to reflect on them.

But anyway, the pros are different. He had very little control over who was on his team. They didn’t even have a scouting department for most of his tenure there.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Think CTS will give it 100% + effort. Based on his recruiting to date I’d have to believe concern about the AD supporting the coach is better placed.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Think CTS will give it 100% + effort. Based on his recruiting to date I’d have to believe concern about the AD supporting the coach is better placed.
Agreed, I’d be far more concerned that Tony wins at Mason and the administration doesn’t do everything it can to keep him as long as possible.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Do we know if Tony has reached out Austin Ball, because I haven't heard anything about him re-committing to Mason or deciding to enter the portal? With the Cap Classic coming up a week from tomorrow, it would be nice to lock up Austin before he gets to play in front of a bunch of other coaches.

FrYP2kKXwAIvGCl

masonhoops1984

Role Player
I don’t think that’s best example, DC united is a clown show at the top and it’s pro sports. No coach is going to make a difference

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do we know if Tony has reached out Austin Ball, because I haven't heard anything about him re-committing to Mason or deciding to enter the portal? With the Cap Classic coming up a week from tomorrow, it would be nice to lock up Austin before he gets to play in front of a bunch of other coaches.

FrYP2kKXwAIvGCl

I would guess he’s on board at this point. Not sure why he wouldn’t have asked for his release by now if he wasn’t planning on coming.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Given the relative speed of getting new recruits and rebuilding the team - I am sure Coach Skinn has reached out to him. I have been pleasantly surprised by the recent turn of events.