Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The AD can’t directly contribute funds to the NIL, but they can provide resources (like the link you sent) to help guide and educate athletes. They can also identify potential NIL opportunities thru connections and relationships with businesses. Those businesses would fund the NIL, execute partnerships with the athletes, etc. not the AD.

Adame Sanogo of UConn just signed a deal with Sunoco Racing. I promise you he did not call the CMO of Sunoco himself, or vice versa.

It takes time and effort to identify opportunities, showcase value, build a sponsorship, and execute that sponsorship. Not every brand and every player make sense for each other. Hence the need for resources within the AD who are focused on helping facilitate this process.
A nice start would be to acknowledge/bless the Patriot Nation Collective. It is my understanding that Mason had the first collective in the A10 and we are now the only one which has not been acknowledged/blessed by their AD.

patriotchild

Starter
Mason also has a chicken or the egg problem unlike UCONN or other schools where basketball is well known and followed on a regular basis.

Sponsorships with Mason players (or just associating Mason basketball in general), even from McKay Chevy, don’t really make sense for businesses. No one outside this board would see a commercial and be like oh that’s Josh Odoro from Mason!

We have the unenviable task of growing the program profile in a hard media market and getting NIL money that we probably need to get program success and grow the program profile…

Getting the players $ is just one aspect. right now we need the sponsorships need to promote Mason as much, if not more so, than the individual players (example wearing mason gear in a promo or ad).

I don’t have a black bag of cash, but would be interested in helping out however I can with folks who know more about it than me.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Mason also has a chicken or the egg problem unlike UCONN or other schools where basketball is well known and followed on a regular basis.

Sponsorships with Mason players (or just associating Mason basketball in general), even from McKay Chevy, don’t really make sense for businesses. No one outside this board would see a commercial and be like oh that’s Josh Odoro from Mason!

We have the unenviable task of growing the program profile in a hard media market and getting NIL money that we probably need to get program success and grow the program profile…

Getting the players $ is just one aspect. right now we need the sponsorships need to promote Mason as much, if not more so, than the individual players (example wearing mason gear in a promo or ad).

I don’t have a black bag of cash, but would be interested in helping out however I can with folks who know more about it than me.
The Josh Oduro Steak™ at Great American Restaurants

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"Our famous drunken ribeye, served well-done and definitely not drunk for our finest student athletes. Will remind you of the highest quality basketball shoe leather available."

The French teaches you what is the correct temperature for steak (en pointe = on point = medium-rare).

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I was on travel this week, but did see the press conference.

The intro video delivered! Maybe they are listening? :)

Happy to see the callback to everything Tony did as a player (and obviously the Final Four), as well ... but I do hope that was a turning the page moment at the same time.

Excited to see who comes on board and the culture he builds.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I hate that Tony's welcome thread has dropped from the top.

I hate that I won't be able to criticize a Mason MBB coach next year. (A Mason legend has earned the right to not be criticized by some dumbass like me . . . for at least three years.)

I hate that I am using the wrong thread.