Welcome Blake Jones

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I watch those videos and it reminds me of Scottie PIppen - 6'9 guy who can handle the ball, pass, shoot from the perimeter, etc... but also had the strength to take contact on his way to the rim, and work with his back to the basket like a traditional big man on occasion. His size and skillset makes him really versatile. With the right coaching and development we might be looking at a legit NBA prospect in a few years.
Damn! High praise! I hope your right!
I saw all the moves, they just looked slow to me.

DAK

Preferred Walk-On
Moldoveanu averaged 18 pts his Jr. year and 20 pts. his Sr. year. I kind of hope he is.

I hope Jonesy averages 20 PPG as well. The reference was more to the disappointment I experienced regarding Vlad's time and performance at Mason rather than what he ended up doing over his collegiate career at American. #masontunnelvision

KAOriginal

All-American
I just hope it's the first question KE asked before he offered....the A-10 is a rough place....

10214_4682_0x2-680x734.jpg

Herndon

All-Conference
Jesus, I'm REALLY not seeing where you guys are seeing the bad film? I see a LEGIT faceup 4 with a lot of ways to score. He can handle it a little bit, he can apparently shoot it pretty well, he knows what to do in the post if a smaller guy switches onto him. Yeah he needs a year in the weight room, but he seems to project pretty well to me.

(although, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I was CERTAIN Birdsong was going to be a star)

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Jesus, I'm REALLY not seeing where you guys are seeing the bad film? I see a LEGIT faceup 4 with a lot of ways to score. He can handle it a little bit, he can apparently shoot it pretty well, he knows what to do in the post if a smaller guy switches onto him. Yeah he needs a year in the weight room, but he seems to project pretty well to me.

(although, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I was CERTAIN Birdsong was going to be a star)

I would concur - I didn't see bad tape - I think a strong 4 that will be hard to defend - might get double teamed and then open up offense in other parts of the floor.

When I see the combined roster now - We are definitely better off than we were before. And I think KE has one more recruit/transfer up his sleeve.

Older than dirt

Four-star Recruit
I take any non-college stats as nice to know what could be their possible scoring later in their career. Any freshman who scores one-half of their high school average is a future first team selection. In all the years of watching games less than five Mason have matched their high school stats.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I take any non-college stats as nice to know what could be their possible scoring later in their career. Any freshman who scores one-half of their high school average is a future first team selection. In all the years of watching games less than five Mason have matched their high school stats.
It's almost as if there is a talent gap between high school and college basketball.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

High schoolers who are 6'9" and can find their a** with both hands are rare enough. This guy can pop or roll off setting a ball screen and people are complaining? Might not be ready day 1 but I LOVE the versatility on offense.

Also, if you haven't checked out the Kim English interview yet, he says high majors are so portal happy they think Blake Jones fell through the cracks. Said if Blake lived in California he'd be playing in the Pac 12. I know coaches love to hype players, but A) everyone around the program says that English is extremely deliberate about what he tells the media, and B) this isn't like Paulsen where he has to say nice things about the guys he settles for. To this point, English is basically getting the guys he wants from the outside.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
High schoolers who are 6'9" and can find their a** with both hands are rare enough. This guy can pop or roll off setting a ball screen and people are complaining? Might not be ready day 1 but I LOVE the versatility on offense.

Also, if you haven't checked out the Kim English interview yet, he says high majors are so portal happy they think Blake Jones fell through the cracks. Said if Blake lived in California he'd be playing in the Pac 12. I know coaches love to hype players, but A) everyone around the program says that English is extremely deliberate about what he tells the media, and B) this isn't like Paulsen where he has to say nice things about the guys he settles for. To this point, English is basically getting the guys he wants from the outside.
Between Oduro, Henry, Jones and Mbaye this is potentially the most versatile group of bigs we’ve ever had — and they all have at least 3 years of eligibility for KE and the staff to develop them. It should be exciting to see what they all become.

Last edited:

He15man

Starter
Between Oduro, Henry, Jones and Mbaye this is potentially the most versatile group of bigs we’ve ever had — and they all have at least 3 years of eligibility for KE and the staff to develop them. It should be exciting to see what they all become.
Agreed. I try not to get wrapped up too much with players size/heights... but I can't help but look forward to seeing a George Mason team take the floor with NBA size at most of our positions. It's rare that we get a guy pushing 6'8 that has the skills to play the 3, or a 6'9 guy playing the 4 who can work inside, but step out to the perimeter and hit threes. That's going to be a thing of beauty to watch play out and see how A10 opponents try to guard against it.