Welcome AJ WIlson

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed, he looks 100% better offensively when he doesn’t fade and shy from contact. Go up strong and eat some contact. Dude can jump outta the gym, it blows my mind he isn’t drop step two foot dunking on dudes every game.

If you combined Will Thomas’ assertiveness and attitude with AJ’s athleticism, you’d have George Evans on steroids — a completely unstoppable monster.

Unfortunately we don’t seem to recruit naturally aggressive players anymore. It’s too bad.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I recall AJ posting prior to the start of the season that he bulked up to 230 lbs. — something that he was very proud of.

I’d like to see him use that bulk / strength to be more of a dominating presence in the paint and under the basket. He is too content to shoot jumpers and fade away shots.

Per hoop-math.com, 56.2% of AJ's shots are two point jumpers and he's hitting 25% of them (18/72). Meanwhile he's 27/38 at the rim (71.1%). Absolutely inexcusable failure of player and coach.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Per hoop-math.com, 56.2% of AJ's shots are two point jumpers and he's hitting 25% of them (18/72). Meanwhile he's 27/38 at the rim (71.1%). Absolutely inexcusable failure of player and coach.

I'm glad that you place the blame on both AJ & Paulsen. So, I'll repeat my question previously asked on this board: Doesn't Coach Paulsen care about analytics?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm glad that you place the blame on both AJ & Paulsen. So, I'll repeat my question previously asked on this board: Doesn't Coach Paulsen care about analytics?
Blame has to be on both of them. Idk if DP understands analytics because his coaching and rotations go directly against them. Ya know when he puts 4 net negative offensive players in the game when we desperately need a score late game ?! Or when he takes out all the big guys out when you’re up by two and are under your own basket playing defense?!? About 10 examples each game of going directly against logical analytics. Would think such a “smart” guy that can’t recruit would use analytics to his advantage.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My guess is he knows the analytics, but so do the other coaches. So at that point, is Paulsen good enough to devise an offense to counter what the other team is doing to prevent AJ from getting shots where he's most effective?

Some of it is also on the player, there are definitely times when AJ just decides to take a fadeaway jumper when he doesn't have to, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that our offense just doesn't work.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My guess is he knows the analytics, but so do the other coaches. So at that point, is Paulsen good enough to devise an offense to counter what the other team is doing to prevent AJ from getting shots where he's most effective?

Some of it is also on the player, there are definitely times when AJ just decides to take a fadeaway jumper when he doesn't have to, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that our offense just doesn't work.
Strictly speaking about AJ I agree with you. But the other teams game plans being better than ours has no bearing on the analytics we use for lineups we trot out there. That falls strictly on a coach who either doesn’t use or doesn’t listen to analytics.

I always wonder in situations like this is how much of this an attempt to develop "next level" AJ at the expense of now AJ/also the team?

Your guess is as good as mine but uh-oh, I heard Jesus Urbina's perimeter game is next level next season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Strictly speaking about AJ I agree with you. But the other teams game plans being better than ours has no bearing on the analytics we use for lineups we trot out there. That falls strictly on a coach who either doesn’t use or doesn’t listen to analytics.

Yes, lineups and rotations are 100% on the coach.

But one wonders, also, if having so many net negative players on the bench are a product of poor recruiting or poor game planning as well? Like how is it possible that we have so few players who can defend OR score, let alone so many who can't do either?

Look at Ronald Polite, for instance, here's a first team All Met player who right now looks like he should be playing in DII or DIII. That doesn't make sense to me.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, lineups and rotations are 100% on the coach.

But one wonders, also, if having so many net negative players on the bench are a product of poor recruiting or poor game planning as well? Like how is it possible that we have so few players who can defend OR score, let alone so many who can't do either?

Look at Ronald Polite, for instance, here's a first team All Met player who right now looks like he should be playing in DII or DIII. That doesn't make sense to me.
Polite has looked good in ONE game this year. The other team played a soft man to man and he drove down the middle and kicked out for wide open shots four plays in a row. It was amazing. But against tight man to man or zone he looks like he doesn’t belong on the club team much less be a scholarship athlete. When your sophomores and juniors other than Oduro and Miller all look worse than last year by a fair amount it makes you wonder.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I always wonder in situations like this is how much of this an attempt to develop "next level" AJ at the expense of now AJ/also the team?

Your guess is as good as mine but uh-oh, I heard Jesus Urbina's perimeter game is next level next season.
Next level AJ will need to consistently score from mid range and the 3 point line. He’s not doing that either. But I do get your point and agree

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This reminds of the saying:

“You play like you practice.”

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Is AJ afraid to shoot the ball now. Seems he is looking to pass first even when open the past few games. He doesn't move nor slash.... seems content just standing out on the perimeter, going through the motions and then going back to try and block shots.

Past 2 games he's scored 6 and 2 and has 2 points at halftime vs. Dayton
He’s playing scared. Paulsen harps on him
To much. So now he’s content not trying

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With 2 blocked shots in Mason's 73-59 A10 tourney second round victory over GW, AJ ties George Evans' career record at Mason:

Blocked Shots - Career
1. AJ Wilson: 211
George Evans: 211
3. Andre Gaddy: 174
Mike Morrison: 174
5. Erik Copes:122
6. Robert Dykes: 111
7. Rob Rose: 106
8. Louis Birdsong: 101
9. Byron Tucker: 97
10. Jai Lewis: 91
Jalen Jenkins: 91

FreeGunston12

All-American
With 2 blocked shots in Mason's 73-59 A10 tourney second round victory over GW, AJ ties George Evans' career record at Mason:

Blocked Shots - Career
1. AJ Wilson: 211
George Evans: 211
3. Andre Gaddy: 174
Mike Morrison: 174
5. Erik Copes:122
6. Robert Dykes: 111
7. Rob Rose: 106
8. Louis Birdsong: 101
9. Byron Tucker: 97
10. Jai Lewis: 91
Jalen Jenkins: 91
Would love to know where the 1st one came from. Heard him scream "I got ball" after a missed shot, but didn't seem like it to me. Guess he convinced the score keeper.

Herndon

All-Conference
This makes me really happy.

I completely underestimated AJ, and he has made me look like a fool :) Good for him, he deserves it. He's been a no-BS grinder his whole career who has worked and worked and worked, through good times and bad, and it will make me happy to see his name in the record book in years to come and remember him.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I have feelings about his offensive drop-off this year, and why it's not his fault, but I'll save that for future "fire the coach" type threads. He's contributed a lot to the team, and exceeded expectations, regardless of this year's offensive output. I'm excited for AJ to top a category in the record books, though there is a part of me who was hoping no one would ever break Evans' record ;)

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pinned Tweet

AJ Wilson

@Aj12Wilson

·
29m

God, I thank you so much. None of this would be possible without you

#GoPatriots#PatriotForLife#GoMason

Quote Tweet

ISjGc-QM_normal.jpg

Mason Men's Basketball
@MasonMBB
· 56m

THE KING

So, so happy for AJ Wilson, Mason’s new all-time leader in blocked shots.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't imagine George Evans re-tweeting about an individual record after a loss. But, I guess times have changed.
Times haven’t changed, you don’t see this stuff from other programs in our league, but it’s over so whatever I guess? One of my bigger gripes from this season was guys being stoked about their individual highlights after getting the shit kicked out of them, just no gamer in this team.