Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOriginal

All-American
We are at a perfect storm of bad.

We have some dumb a** players.

Problem is, eve getting rid of them leaves us with a coach who was below average even when he had NBA talent.

So not sure how we move forward.....

DeepValue

Starter
Once the coach starts blaming players in the media he is destined to lose the team. I think Feinstein knows this. If Hewitt can get this team winning it will be impressive.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Really can't believe how so many are buying into the coach speak. Easy to accept if ignore his years at GT I guess.

I just posted the link and said it was a good column. If you feel that strongly about it, I'm pretty sure there is a comments section on the Post website where you can voice your disapproval. Give 'em hell, '05!

I just posted the link and said it was a good column. If you feel that strongly about it, I'm pretty sure there is a comments section on the Post website where you can voice your disapproval. Give 'em hell, '05![/
quote]
Wait...youre allowed to comment on Washington Post articles? Why are any of us HERE? Can I comment on Politics too?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we want this team to stop looking retarded Give them an easier offense to run. when ALL the needed parts are in, then try the 4 out nba crap. We can't dribble so make post touch top priority. At least it keeps the defense somewhat honest and our guards can shoot a set shot on a kick out, which is what OCM recruited them to do.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There are many parts to coaching. One is the in game part. Hewitt did not blow that completely today. Another part is preparing the guys to execute in games. If they are not executing in games, then there are one of two issues. Either they are not trying or they are not prepared. Since Hewitt admits that the guys are giving 100% effort, then it must be that they are not prepared. That falls on Hewitt.

So, no, just because he didn't do horrible in the in-game part in this game does not give me confidence that there isn't something horribly wrong that somehow makes guys that were great at every level they have played before now, suddenly, forget fundamentals and be unable to execute plays.

I have absolutely zero confidence.

Last edited:

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
To Brian's point about execution, the Feinstein article mentions that only 1 player got their assignment right on 'Rome Chop'. I believe the players on the court for that play were Sherrod, BA, Johnny, Holloway and AO. 4 guys who are in their 3rd year with Hewitt and 1 who is in his 2nd. That doesn't have anything to do with Xs and Os, nor is it about recruiting/talent -- the areas we're always beating to death. It is simply preparation and using the time in practice effectively and efficiently in order to make it rote. I really want to see Hewitt succeed, but if we're in year 3 and most of our experienced players don't have basic, key plays down cold, it's hard to see how we get to the results that he and us all want.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
To Brian's point about execution, the Feinstein article mentions that only 1 player got their assignment right on 'Rome Chop'. I believe the players on the court for that play were Sherrod, BA, Johnny, Holloway and AO. 4 guys who are in their 3rd year with Hewitt and 1 who is in his 2nd. That doesn't have anything to do with Xs and Os, nor is it about recruiting/talent -- the areas we're always beating to death. It is simply preparation and using the time in practice effectively and efficiently in order to make it rote. I really want to see Hewitt succeed, but if we're in year 3 and most of our experienced players don't have basic, key plays down cold, it's hard to see how we get to the results that he and us all want.

I believe that it was Jalen Jenkins (not AO) who was on the court. But, I agree with your comment.

As a former AAU and high school coach I can assure you that you can sometimes practice something over and over and teams and players sometimes never execute properly, with some people never truly getting it.

Some kids/teams are just like that, for varying reasons.

Hewitt and DI offensive and defensive schemes often require decision making and often give players options on the court. These players constantly make the wrong ones.

The most glaring of several examples of this I can think of yesterday were Allen's foolish hesitations and decisions guarding Mumford and others yesterday.

At some point baby birds have to fly on there own.

Also, generally if youre having to do a lot of basic drills, go over basic press breaks, re-learn inbounds plays, etc. at this point of the season youre screwed anyway. Anything you change or relearn takes time away from preparing for the next team.

All of this doesn't excuse Hewitt, who brought in at least two guys that the coaches always find out of position in practice and games. I dont care what we look like at the end of this year with seniors who should have got it long ago...if we suck next year we need to can him ASAP.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jollay, in both of your posts above, it is incumbent upon the coach to figure out what works with the group of kids he has. And he should figure it out before he gets to conference play. Good coaches figure it out. Bad coaches, well, I think we have all seen what that looks like....

I understand those of you who still think he might do well, or it is not his fault, or whatever... But, I think that is more of an emotional response, relying on hope, not wanting to admit what the evidence is showing. There is no other logical conclusion other than he can't seem to coach kids to perform at the same level as other coaches at the same level seem to be able to coach their kids.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I still think Hewitt over thinks/teaches most of his stuff to the point the players are falling into a fog. And this is probably one reason we look retarded. Ever wonder why we never go on runs that demoralize the other team? Because we have to think more than just play. Sometimes Hewitt just needs ro sit down and stop yelling plays out and let these guys play. Its like he never lets the game come to his players.

I agree Brian, and the buck still stops with Hewitt.

However, when you have a system and coaching philosophy you dont alter it too much to accommodate the leftover players either. That stunts the growth of the guys you brought in expressly for your system.

As I've said, he needs to be gone after this year if we're not at least a top half A10 team next year.

To build on GS' point, L would play whiffle ball with the guys at this point. Hewitt has tightened up...which is defensible (especially since one of the initial criticisms was he didn't care), but maybe its time to loosen up a little.

And keep it simple stupid, too...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I still think Hewitt over thinks/teaches most of his stuff to the point the players are falling into a fog. And this is probably one reason we look retarded. Ever wonder why we never go on runs that demoralize the other team? Because we have to think more than just play. Sometimes Hewitt just needs ro sit down and stop yelling plays out and let these guys play. Its like he never lets the game come to his players.

This is an odd criticism, because in his first two years everyone wanted him to call more plays.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree Brian, and the buck still stops with Hewitt.

However, when you have a system and coaching philosophy you dont alter it too much to accommodate the leftover players either. That stunts the growth of the guys you brought in expressly for your system.

As I've said, he needs to be gone after this year if we're not at least a top half A10 team next year.

To build on GS' point, L would play whiffle ball with the guys at this point. Hewitt has tightened up...which is defensible (especially since one of the initial criticisms was he didn't care), but maybe its time to loosen up a little.

And keep it simple stupid, too...

If this is your viewpoint then I would agree. My concern is that even after the "OCM players" are gone, more excuses will be made. The young team excuse will be the convenient one next year. If people think we're going to be better next year, they're in for a rude awakening. Even 5 star guys don't just step in and play well all the time. I mean people are complaining about how bad Andrew Wiggins looks.

Yet people on these boards would have you believe our new recruits will hit the ground running and instantly turn our fortunes around. Unfortunately for us, other teams will have guys who are just as talented with more experience and better coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.