Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonfan3

Starter
Ok so you lose the recruiting class and Royal. It will be too late to find any half way decent guys. So you are ok with our roster the way it is right now (obviously without the seniors). Is it worth finishing last in the A10 again next year? I don't know the answer. The bottom line is we are going to need players to go with Holloway, Jenkins, Moore, and Marko. Maybe if we fire Hewitt then Gray will finally play.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Ok so you lose the recruiting class and Royal. It will be too late to find any half way decent guys. So you are ok with our roster the way it is right now (obviously without the seniors). Is it worth finishing last in the A10 again next year? I don't know the answer. The bottom line is we are going to need players to go with Holloway, Jenkins, Moore, and Marko. Maybe if we fire Hewitt then Gray will finally play.

So Royal is going to to sit out another year transferring and lose one of his two remaining seasons of eligibility?

Not to mention that the new coach is able to retain zero committed players - because that also typically happens right?

Masonfan3

Starter
So Royal is going to to sit out another year transferring and lose one of his two remaining seasons of eligibility?

Not to mention that the new coach is able to retain zero committed players - because that also typically happens right?

Royal will leave if Hewitt is gone. The only reason he is here is because of Hewitt. And I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a special exemption from the NCAA if that happened. Lockett and Mayimba are in the same boat but I do think Porter will stay no matter what. If Lockett was allowed out of his LOI I can guarantee you that he would end up at a high major school or would at least have his fair share of schools to pick from.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
When do we start worrying that Jenkins decides he's too good for the team and transfers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Look at it this way, Hewitt could lead us to the final four next year.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Royal will leave if Hewitt is gone. The only reason he is here is because of Hewitt. And I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a special exemption from the NCAA if that happened. Lockett and Mayimba are in the same boat but I do think Porter will stay no matter what. If Lockett was allowed out of his LOI I can guarantee you that he would end up at a high major school or would at least have his fair share of schools to pick from.

So the NCAA creates a brand new rule allowing an additional year of eligibility for firing a coach just for him? Yeah, I'm sure the member institutions that make up the NCAA would support that.

Would they also make up a rule allowing him to play immediately and not have to sit out a second year in a row?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When do we start worrying that Jenkins decides he's too good for the team and transfers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Jenkins is in the same boat as Royal. He'd burn a year of eligibility and sit out a year if he transfers, so he's here to stay.

It depends on who we hire and how convincing he is and if he retains an assistant from the old regime or not about the recruits and other players. A lot of variables.

My opinion is waiting around just to bring in some recruits is not worth it. Either Hewitt is our coach or he's not. Mayimba and Lockett aren't going to suddenly make Hewitt a great coach.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I remember all the consternation about not getting Gray and Edwards to stay committed. They were such studs that the program would be set back for years if Hewitt couldn't get them to honor their LOIs.

If you can't coach them up then it doesn't matter what studs they are supposed to be.

Masonfan3

Starter
So the NCAA creates a brand new rule allowing an additional year of eligibility for firing a coach just for him? Yeah, I'm sure the member institutions that make up the NCAA would support that.

Would they also make up a rule allowing him to play immediately and not have to sit out a second year in a row?

You mean something like Joseph Young who is playing for Oregon this year after leaving Houston? It's a little different situation but his Dad was asked to take a lesser role in the Athletic Department at Houston so Young left and got a waiver from the NCAA and doesn't have to sit out. The NCAA transfer rules are a joke so I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if Royal was granted a waiver since its obvious he only came here for Hewitt and if he is in good academic standing he would have just as much a case as Joseph Young. Another example is Marcus Houston who transferred from Colorado to Colorado State (football) because he didn't get a long with the coaches. He was granted a waiver and didn't have to sit. So all Royal has to do is say he doesn't like the new coaching staff and he may get a waiver.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don't forget a new coach has recruits too. Could be a wash.

Yes and like Lonergan and Skerry, we too can take advantage of the ridiculous transfer rules to reload the cupboard. A JUCO or two, and a fifth year senior transfer and the transition pain won't be nearly as bad.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Keeping Hewitt is a big mistake. If you know anything about building anything, you know the contractor here is about to ruin the foundation.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I think everyone needs to accept that Paul Hewitt is going to be the Men's Basketball Coach at G Mas, at least, through the 2014-15 season. Now, maybe he gets fired during the season next year if he has, like, a 0-10 record in A-10 play, but I don't see it.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Poorman is probably right. But still a mistake.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And Tom, I'm upset with your response because you just act like flushing 2 or 3 seasons is OK. That's insane.

I imagine your frustration lies more in that you live in a world of "what if" and I live in the world of "what is." For better or worse, but I've come to accept that Hewitt is here for at least one year after this one, so I tend to live in that reality; you prefer to beat your head against the wall, desperately wanting something to happen that's not likely going to happen — which makes you even more miserable.

In a perfect world, Hewitt would have been able to make things work better with Coach L's recruits, but that obviously hasn't worked; so we are now looking at rebuilding, which I know nobody here wants to come to grips with. I am not a patient fan by nature, but I have no other choice when it comes to my favorite college basketball team or my favorite pro football team (the Redskins).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I imagine your frustration lies more in that you live in a world of "what if" and I live in the world of "what is." For better or worse, but I've come to accept that Hewitt is here for at least one year after this one, so I tend to live in that reality; you prefer to beat your head against the wall, desperately wanting something to happen that's not likely going to happen — which makes you even more miserable.

In a perfect world, Hewitt would have been able to make things work better with Coach L's recruits, but that obviously hasn't worked; so we are now looking at rebuilding, which I know nobody here wants to come to grips with. I am not a patient fan by nature, but I have no other choice when it comes to my favorite college basketball team or my favorite pro football team (the Redskins).

Other than being cheap, I see no point in keeping Hewitt another year, next year's team will be worse than this year's team and unless Hewitt goes out and schedules a bunch of utter cupcakes in the OOC will likely finish with at best the same record.

Either you think he's our coach and you give him all five years, or you can him after this debacle.

1.2 million reasons he wont be fired after this season. Unless someone on this board wins the lottery and is angry enough to write a large check.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why do we have to fire him? It wont look good for him. Resigning, on the other hand is alot easier and cheaper for us.,

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Either you think he's our coach and you give him all five years, or you can him after this debacle.

Sweet, I didn't realize I had that kind of power. My next move will be to move the students behind the other basket to make Five Two happy.

Seriously, some people assume that accepting Hewitt is here at least another year is an endorsement for that to happen. I admit to liking the initial hire, but I have no say whatsoever in his future at Mason. If he gets fired tomorrow, I will wish he and his family the best; if he's here another year or two, I have no option but to support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.