Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yet people on these boards would have you believe our new recruits will hit the ground running and instantly turn our fortunes around.

Name one person who has said the new recruits will turn our fortunes around. I personally have predicted several times that we could very likely take another step back if we can't replace the scoring of Allen and Wright. I do think we will see a more exciting brand of basketball, for what it's worth.

By the way, any idea how much GT paid Hewitt to go away. I can't seem to find that figure anywhere. :cool:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
...if we suck next year we need to can him ASAP.

I am trying to figure out how we don't suck next year.

So, at the 4 and the 5 we have Marko, Jenkins, Copes and Royals filling minutes. Unless we get a whole lot out of Royals right out of gate, I have to call that a wash.

The 1, that will likely be Moore and Edwards sharing the minutes at some ratio. That is a wash compared to this year.

The 2 and 3 we will need 2 to 3 guys getting heavy minutes. Holloway is obviously going to be one of those. Who else? Gray? A guy that is either not compatible with Hewitt or will have been completely demoralized by next year, or even gone...So, we will be depending on a rookie or two to make an immediate impact in order for us to improve in that area.

Is there going to be a magical improvement in Hewitt's coaching?

So, those that think we are going to be significantly improved, where do you see it coming from? Do you think we hit the rookie jackpot like we did with Jenkins with our new guards? What are the odds of that? Is Royals going to be a miracle transfer? Do you base that on the track record with our other Hewitt transfer, Okoloji?

I, honestly, can't see how we play better next year than we are playing this year (unless the rest of the A10 drops significantly). The only way I see improvement is if, somehow, there is addition by subtraction, and two of our most productive players (Allen and Wright) actually make the rest of the team worse. I guess it is possible, but how likely?

Then we get to the end of year four and the we start the same process all over again, hoping that the next year is better than the previous. Because the new guys are going to turn it around, or the extra year under Hewitt is going to make the guys better (like this year).

On a different topic, I have some swampland in Florida to sell some of you. Since there are many on here that seem to have infinite hope in spite of the evidence, there is hope that the land will be really valuable one day...

If this is your viewpoint then I would agree. My concern is that even after the "OCM players" are gone, more excuses will be made. The young team excuse will be the convenient one next year. If people think we're going to be better next year, they're in for a rude awakening. Even 5 star guys don't just step in and play well all the time. I mean people are complaining about how bad Andrew Wiggins looks.

Yet people on these boards would have you believe our new recruits will hit the ground running and instantly turn our fortunes around. Unfortunately for us, other teams will have guys who are just as talented with more experience and better coaching.

I'm a year four guy unless this team completely implodes. Which unfortunately is possible.

Even then it is unlikely but with selfish, non team-oriented parents anything is possible as many, many coaches better than Hewitt have found out.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I personally have predicted several times that we could very likely take another step back if we can't replace the scoring of Allen and Wright. I do think we will see a more exciting brand of basketball, for what it's worth.

Great, I get to look forward to a year filled with exciting losses.

Brian, Jenkins should continue to develop and there is ample reason to believe most everyone else will as well.

If Jenkins is an 18/9 guy, Royal is good and MM and PH can step up, we can be very solid. Even in the A10, which loses some significant talent btw.

If we dont do at least decent, there is absolutely no reason to keep Hewitt.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian, Jenkins should continue to develop and there is ample reason to believe most everyone else will as well.
Could you elaborate on this statement? Based on the mixed results we have seen so far, I am not sure I can agree with it. For every guy that has improved there are guys that have regressed.

Could you elaborate on this statement? Based on the mixed results we have seen so far, I am not sure I can agree with it. For every guy that has improved there are guys that have regressed.

Well, of course there's a chance he goes on a Copes trajectory, but he has shown way more on offense than Copes ever did or could. He looks like he has a chance to eventually become the best power forward we've had here since Thomas--maybe a top five big guy here in the last 20 years rivaled and surpassed only by Dykes, Evans, Thomas and then the next tier, Young, Lewis, Jemel Buck.

Regardless of Hewitt it is reasonable to expect these guys to get better anyway, especially the true freshman Moore. Also bigger and stronger and (hopefully) smarter.

So I'm saying there's a chance! (a reasonable one as well)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jollay, I don't expect Jalen to regress. The part of your statement I can't agree with was the part about there being ample reason to believe everyone else will too. We seem to have about a 50/50 chance for a guy to improve based on the evidence so far.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If this is your viewpoint then I would agree. My concern is that even after the "OCM players" are gone, more excuses will be made. The young team excuse will be the convenient one next year. If people think we're going to be better next year, they're in for a rude awakening. Even 5 star guys don't just step in and play well all the time. I mean people are complaining about how bad Andrew Wiggins looks.

Yet people on these boards would have you believe our new recruits will hit the ground running and instantly turn our fortunes around. Unfortunately for us, other teams will have guys who are just as talented with more experience and better coaching.

We will be young, but we could have the potential for a fairly experienced starting 5 with Holloway, Moore, Jenkins, Marko and Copes (in fact, if Jenkins could play the 3, I'd almost like to see that as the starting 5 next season) all playing significant minutes over their time here.

I don't think Hewitt will play Jenkins at the three though, so it'll either Be Gray or one of the freshman there. And given Hewitt's lack of faith with Gray, it'll mean one of the freshman.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This is an odd criticism, because in his first two years everyone wanted him to call more plays.

Calling a play takes two words, maybe one. Not full directional instructions of where each guy should stand on the court etc., which is what he's always done. Its overkill and makes you wonder wtf is going on in practice.

Jollay, I don't expect Jalen to regress. The part of your statement I can't agree with was the part about there being ample reason to believe everyone else will too. We seem to have about a 50/50 chance for a guy to improve based on the evidence so far.

True freshman point guard likely will improve regardless. Its likely him and Jenkins will improve regardless of coach...more questionable for some others.

We will be young, but we could have the potential for a fairly experienced starting 5 with Holloway, Moore, Jenkins, Marko and Copes (in fact, if Jenkins could play the 3, I'd almost like to see that as the starting 5 next season) all playing significant minutes over their time here.

I don't think Hewitt will play Jenkins at the three though, so it'll either Be Gray or one of the freshman there. And given Hewitt's lack of faith with Gray, it'll mean one of the freshman.

Most likely its Okoloji. In that case improvement would not only be nice, it would be absolutely mandatory.

If we play a decent amount of zone, wouldn't mind Jenkins at the three. Also emphasize an inside-out game.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Name one person who has said the new recruits will turn our fortunes around. I personally have predicted several times that we could very likely take another step back if we can't replace the scoring of Allen and Wright. I do think we will see a more exciting brand of basketball, for what it's worth.

By the way, any idea how much GT paid Hewitt to go away. I can't seem to find that figure anywhere. :cool:
So now you admit that you're in the camp that thinks it's OK to just punt for these next 2 seasons and then see it we can get better. Sorry, I don't have the patience of Mother Teresa nor the forgiveness.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
He needs to do everything in his power to bring in a recruit who can make an immediate impact on the offensive side of the floor. I love the attitude and toughness of the guys were bringing in so far; add a guy who likes to, and will score consistently, would make for a great recruiting class.

Masonfan3

Starter
The only reason for keeping Hewitt around is because our recruits (and Royal) for next year have the potential to be one of our best in recent memory. I haven't seen too much of Mayimba personally but have heard from multiple people that he has the potential to be the best Mason has ever had. One of which is someone who is a family friend and someone I trust on this subject as he has watched thousands of high school games. You fire Hewitt and you can probably say goodbye to the recruits (except maybe porter) and Royal is gone too. I don't know what the better option is...keeping around a horrible coach or hire someone else but lose a good recruiting class.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So now you admit that you're in the camp that thinks it's OK to just punt for these next 2 seasons and then see it we can get better. Sorry, I don't have the patience of Mother Teresa nor the forgiveness.

It's impossible to please you. I replied to you with complete honesty that I don't think we will be better next year, and now you are miffed because I agreed with you. I have no say in whether the coach stays or goes -- no, I'm not threatening to cancel my season tickets like Pablos -- so I will support him as long as he's here.

I hate losing as much as anybody here if not more, so it's ludicrous to suggest I want to punt because I accept something out of my control. The bottom line is patience is all we have at this point. I know that goes against your doom-and-gloom personality regarding every sports team you follow, but you might want to try it.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The only reason for keeping Hewitt around is because our recruits (and Royal) for next year have the potential to be one of our best in recent memory. I haven't seen too much of Mayimba personally but have heard from multiple people that he has the potential to be the best Mason has ever had. One of which is someone who is a family friend and someone I trust on this subject as he has watched thousands of high school games. You fire Hewitt and you can probably say goodbye to the recruits (except maybe porter) and Royal is gone too. I don't know what the better option is...keeping around a horrible coach or hire someone else but lose a good recruiting class.
Lose the recruiting class, 10 times out of 10. If you don't have the right person coaching them it doesn't matter if they have NBA talent, which they don't.

And Tom, I'm upset with your response because you just act like flushing 2 or 3 seasons is OK. That's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.