The State of the Men's Basketball Program

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I know that nearly everyone on this board couldn't care less about Mason's wrestling program, but I find it interesting that Head Coach Joe Russell writes a regular blog throughout the year in which he's brutally honest about himself, his wrestlers, and the state of the program - see http://masonwrestling.wordpress.com/. While I don't expect Coach Hewitt to write a regular blog during the season as Coach Russell does, why not write a blog with his evaluation of this past season and his assessment of the state of the program?

Surely, it would be beneficial to have some substantive communication with the fans who give their time and money to support the program?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Since Hewitt is a God, why not get him his own radio show at local bar? One where he takes questions from crowd and callers.

KAOriginal

All-American
Supposedly it was well known he didn't like the coaches show and all the face timing with alumni boosters, etc while at GT, (maybe it was lackluster results?) so I imagine the same can be said here at Mason.

Another "what were you thinking TOC?" for hiring a guy that doesn't embrace the public interaction, to replace the coach who as a poster child for it....

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For what it's worth, my brother works on Mason's campus and says he saw a lot more of Larranaga then he does of Hewitt.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Since Hewitt is a God, why not get him his own radio show at local bar? One where he takes questions from crowd and callers.

I have a feeling that will turn into the south park episode where all the old people kept calling into the jewlery channel show and taunting the host.......dang good episode lol.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For what it's worth, my brother works on Mason's campus and says he saw a lot more of Larranaga then he does of Hewitt.

If I had just taken the team to the final four, I'd be walking around with my balls out. If I had the results Hewitt has been having, I'd hide in the nuclear reactor hoping to blow myself up.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In case anyone needs a reminder on what a passionate coach looks like. despite his mistakes, the guy can coach and he gets the most out of his kids. plus he throws parties at his house...ha.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt was on campus a lot last season promoting the home opener against UVA. And then he was to never be seen again.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
You know that the state of Mason's men's basketball program is not good when a Cornell fan criticizes it on Cornell's message board - see

runningpie
Big Red Varsity
star.png
star.png
star.png

defaultavatar.png

Member is Online
7 minutes ago
icon-options.png

Post by runningpie on 7 minutes ago
That would mean even longer lines to get into the hockey games.

Cornell needs to decide if it wants to be in the major college basketball business. Harvard decided it wanted to be, now its on the athletic department to decide if they want to step up or sit around and whine about Harvard while raving about our awesome wrestling team.

Andy and the other Ivy athletic administrations need to take steps to level the playing field first, and we need to return our program to non-laughable status. As I and many of the other longer-in-tooth people on this blog have repeatedly said, even while it was happening 4 years ago, the 2010 moment (without a concerted effort to maintain course) will prove to be a historic anomaly.

Speaking of Courtney, what has George Mason done lately? Once the engine of change leaves, you better carefully replace that engine with something with similar horsepower, or you will recede back into your historically mediocre level of competency that preceded its arrival.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You know that the state of Mason's men's basketball program is not good when a Cornell fan criticizes it on Cornell's message board:

Cornell needs to decide if it wants to be in the major college basketball business. Harvard decided it wanted to be, now its on the athletic department to decide if they want to step up or sit around and whine about Harvard while raving about our awesome wrestling team.

Andy and the other Ivy athletic administrations need to take steps to level the playing field first, and we need to return our program to non-laughable status. As I and many of the other longer-in-tooth people on this blog have repeatedly said, even while it was happening 4 years ago, the 2010 moment (without a concerted effort to maintain course) will prove to be a historic anomaly.

Speaking of Courtney, what has George Mason done lately? Once the engine of change leaves, you better carefully replace that engine with something with similar horsepower, or you will recede back into your historically mediocre level of competency that preceded its arrival.

The bolded part perfectly sums up our situation post-Larranaga.

We may not have had a Ferrari, but at least he was a nice BMW 7 series with leather and heated seats.

You can't trade in a model like that for a damn Yugo.

KAOriginal

All-American
We would have been better to gamble on a no name....at least then you can say you swung for the fences and it didn't work out.

But we settled on a re-tread name...pure and simple.

And without going into details...here's my quote of the week:

"Despite the challenge of transitioning into a more competitive conference, we are very satisfied with where we are as a program right now."

SHOOT ME NOW PLEASE....

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
And without going into details...here's my quote of the week:

"Despite the challenge of transitioning into a more competitive conference, we are very satisfied with where we are as a program right now."

SHOOT ME NOW PLEASE....
Who said that?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
You can guess who. It was rumored to have been the response when confronted in a public place.....

Before I commit for another season, I would like to see something in writing from the coach, AD, or President Cabrera.

Scythe

Starter
Right now I'm uncommitted to season tickets again... :/

Wife is tired of going to home games that end up with us losing...

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
All right fellas, we have to do something. If TOC is intent on keeping Hewitt and ignoring all of us, we can at least make his decisions difficult.

Let's organize. And don't give me the BS that no matter what we do, we can't make a difference. We need to very publicly speak out and let the world know how inept TOC has been running this program.

I am willing to do whatever it takes including camping out every day at the Mason Field house and holding up Fire Hewitt signs or whatever.

Nothing will change if just sit here on the boards and bitch to each other. Let's save the program from this idiot. He does NOT care about Mason, he just wants to collect his check and do things his way. Well guess what, this is NOT TOC's University. This is ours.

Let's set the groundwork for Hewitt's firing after next year NOW. Organizational skills win elections, change entire governments so it can certainly get rid of Hewitt AND TOC. Apathy from us is a big factor in the ruining of our program (this incudes myself).

We all know someone in the local media, let's start there. Everybody loves a good story/controversy. If no one cares about Mason Hoops, let's make them care by educating them.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tom, you are a writer by trade, correct? Let's write up a narrative about where we were and where we have ended up now, get it printed in some local paper (I can help with that) and let the story take off.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
damn, wish I was in the area..I'd throw flaming bags of s*** at TOC's office door. that'd be sure to make the local headlines.