The State of the Men's Basketball Program

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
All right fellas, we have to do something. If TOC is intent on keeping Hewitt and ignoring all of us, we can at least make his decisions difficult.

Let's organize. And don't give me the BS that no matter what we do, we can't make a difference. We need to very publicly speak out and let the world know how inept TOC has been running this program.

I am willing to do whatever it takes including camping out every day at the Mason Field house and holding up Fire Hewitt signs or whatever.

Nothing will change if just sit here on the boards and bitch to each other. Let's save the program from this idiot. He does NOT care about Mason, he just wants to collect his check and do things his way. Well guess what, this is NOT TOC's University. This is ours.

Let's set the groundwork for Hewitt's firing after next year NOW. Organizational skills win elections, change entire governments so it can certainly get rid of Hewitt AND TOC. Apathy from us is a big factor in the ruining of our program (this incudes myself).

We all know someone in the local media, let's start there. Everybody loves a good story/controversy. If no one cares about Mason Hoops, let's make them care by educating them.

Brian tried this already and the response was so anemic that he just quit. But we shouldn't give up, let's try a different angle.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian tried this already and the response was so anemic that he just quit. But we shouldn't give up, let's try a different angle.
Brians angle was fine. Just too many wimps not speaking up.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

If Brian is still reading these boards, PLEASE don't give up.

Everyone who wants/can help, please pm me so we can have a meeting of the minds and decide a course of action.

Let me make this clear, I do not advocate anything illegal or violent, just a clever approach using a combination of media, student involvement and any other suggestions others may have.

You see, TOC is like a cockroach. He love sit when the light are off so he can do all of his dirty business. What I'm advocating is to "turn the lights on", let everyone how screwed up our program and watch him scurry like the coward he is.

KAOriginal

All-American
Gentleman...patience.

The key here is what happens with TOC over the next 2 months. I assume by speculation that he will announce his retirement April/May to be out at the end of the current contract which is what June?

No use getting riled up till the AD situation plays out. THEN a proper course of action can be implemented based on what happens.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you think gobo or 106.7 or even the broadside would get in on things?

I do. Also, I know several other sportswriters from major publications and independent AP journalists. I think what I need to do first is get a talented writer to tell the entire story from the beginning to where it is now. Maybe, I will start writing the article and then get a professional writer edit it for me and shop it around, maybe even produce a video.

I understand people are busy and do not have the time to help on this, so what I will try to do is get the momentum going and hopefully get a bunch people to get on the band wagon. I may require some factual input from people on the boards to help tell the entire story.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Gentleman...patience.

The key here is what happens with TOC over the next 2 months. I assume by speculation that he will announce his retirement April/May to be out at the end of the current contract which is what June?

No use getting riled up till the AD situation plays out. THEN a proper course of action can be implemented based on what happens.
I think we need to put pressure now on Cabrera to not extend Tom "Dumbass" O'Connor's contract.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gentleman...patience.

Good feedback, but what if the new AD is just a TOC retread? I will start the momentum and if it turns out all is good, then no harm, no foul.

KAOriginal

All-American
Good feedback, but what if the new AD is just a TOC retread? I will start the momentum and if it turns out all is good, then no harm, no foul.

Valid question...and maybe the Cabrera angle to not renew TOC is a better plan.

I just worry that if TOC is headed out the door...all the momentum and uproar would be wasted and lost in the transition....

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I do. Also, I know several other sportswriters from major publications and independent AP journalists. I think what I need to do first is get a talented writer to tell the entire story from the beginning to where it is now. Maybe, I will start writing the article and then get a professional writer edit it for me and shop it around, maybe even produce a video.

I understand people are busy and do not have the time to help on this, so what I will try to do is get the momentum going and hopefully get a bunch people to get on the band wagon. I may require some factual input from people on the boards to help tell the entire story.

I want to say somewhere I read the economic impact of the final four on GMU. Money from free advertising/publicity, additional enrollment/tuition, sponsorships, etc. I forget the exact amount (a few hundred million?) but it dwarfs any payout. That might be interesting information.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Valid question...and maybe the Cabrera angle to not renew TOC is a better plan.

I just worry that if TOC is headed out the door...all the momentum and uproar would be wasted and lost in the transition....

And that is why even if TOC is gone, we need a movement to make sure the new AD knows the concerns of true fans of this program.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I want to say somewhere I read the economic impact of the final four on GMU. Money from free advertising/publicity, additional enrollment/tuition, sponsorships, etc. I forget the exact amount (a few hundred million?) but it dwarfs any payout. That might be interesting information.

Any articles reference to this, please send the links to my PM. THanks!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
In all seriousness, I really wish I was in the area. I'd love to get the movement going and get people talking about it on campus. This is a great idea, I hope you guys go all out with this!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
$40 million on athletics facilities upgrades? can anyone list these? fieldhouse, patdome hand rails and scoreboard.....the other $30million?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
“Athletic success is the window to an institution,” LaPaille conceded. “It gets immediate public visibility way beyond what our target campaigns would have done. It opens doors that weren’t open before.” Christine LaPauiller

So we went from the window to the side door, to the front door. Identity problem? Yes.