The State of the Men's Basketball Program

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, you are a writer by trade, correct? Let's write up a narrative about where we were and where we have ended up now, get it printed in some local paper (I can help with that) and let the story take off.

Chank, you aren't going to change the mind of anybody regarding next season, so I would operate under that assumption before coming up with a plan. I'm not saying at all that people should be content with that decision, but what we need now is answers. We want somebody to be held accountable for where the program is going rather than accepting the status quo.

I had lunch today with a buddy of mine, who is the the editor of The Fairfax County Times, and we talked about Hewitt a lot while watching the NCAAT. Instead of suggesting he have one of his writers do a hatchet job on our program (which he said wasn't warranted at this point even after our horrible season), I told him they should interview Cabrera, TOC and Hewitt and respectfully ask them what the direction is for the basketball program — a State of the Union, so to speak.

Without being confrontational, I suggested he find out what the goals are to get back to winning, to competing in our new conference, to drawing more fans, etc. Within the confines of that interview, TOC and Hewitt could politely be asked if they are happy with where the program is under Hewitt's direction and whether he is indeed the right person for the job. The Broadside could take the same approach, as could some of your other friends in the media.

I do think there's a place for the rah-rah "we're not happy" approach, but all I want right now is somebody to come clean about where we stand as a program. In my opinion, the best way is to go about it is by respectfully getting the right questions in front of the right people, and I think that should be your approach if you do lobby the local media. Hope that makes sense.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Like, Like, Like, Like and Like how this thread has been all day. I feel as if we Mason fans/grads are being proactive. Albiet, we are in the brainstorming phase, but still. This is how things start. Great ideas and thoughts by Tom, Leesburg and Walter. Would anybody like to get together and watch some game tomorrow at Greene Turtle or some place like that and talk more in addition to on this board?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Chank, you aren't going to change the mind of anybody regarding next season, so I would operate under that assumption before coming up with a plan. I'm not saying at all that people should be content with that decision, but what we need now is answers. We want somebody to be held accountable for where the program is going rather than accepting the status quo.

I had lunch today with a buddy of mine, who is the the editor of The Fairfax County Times, and we talked about Hewitt a lot while watching the NCAAT. Instead of suggesting he have one of his writers do a hatchet job on our program (which he said wasn't warranted at this point even after our horrible season), I told him they should interview Cabrera, TOC and Hewitt and respectfully ask them what the direction is for the basketball program — a State of the Union, so to speak.

Without being confrontational, I suggested he find out what the goals are to get back to winning, to competing in our new conference, to drawing more fans, etc. Within the confines of that interview, TOC and Hewitt could politely be asked if they are happy with where the program is under Hewitt's direction and whether he is indeed the right person for the job. The Broadside could take the same approach, as could some of your other friends in the media.

I do think there's a place for the rah-rah "we're not happy" approach, but all I want right now is somebody to come clean about where we stand as a program. In my opinion, the best way is to go about it is by respectfully getting the right questions in front of the right people, and I think that should be your approach if you do lobby the local media. Hope that makes sense.

Tom, I've known TOC for over 15 years. I you won't believe me but you do not know how much of a politician he is. He plays dirty. I know you may think you know him, but I have personal contact with the way he throws people under the bus and will even go to lengths to ruin people's reputations.

I am going to take a very deliberate cool, calm headed approach with facts, and if it's the wrong approach then I'll learn on the job.

The one thing I cannot do is sit by and let him masturbate all over our program as he laughs all the way to the bank. My mission is not to personally get back at TOC, if we go to the tournament next year and all is good in Patriot land, I will back off. But you and I know that is not going to happen.

And I'll come onto to the boards and apologize to everyone including TOC. If I fall on my face and get reamed by the powers that be, fine.

But I have never been someone to sit on the sidelines when in my opinion,they have clearly abused their powers.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You disrespectful pieces of dogsh*t. Don't you know what TOC means to this program? Don't you know we wouldn't have made the tournament in 2006 without him? How much money do you donate, you cheap piece of.......

Sorry, was doing my best Jollay impersonation....I'm also not local and thus it makes things difficult. This time of year is also a killer for me, but if needed I could help with support.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, I've known TOC for over 15 years. I you won't believe me but you do not know how much of a politician he is. He plays dirty. I know you may think you know him, but I have personal contact with the way he throws people under the bus and will even go to lengths to ruin people's reputation.

Chank, I honestly don't know TOC the way you do. We are friendly in social situations due to crossing paths at so many games and events over the years, but I don't profess to know him personally beyond that. I do agree with KA that nothing will change until he retires. Hewitt is his guy, and he's going to give him every opportunity to succeed.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

The goal needs to be for when a change is made, for Cabrera to understand what is at stake so he can make the right choice on a new AD. And to me, it's really not just about basketball, but the overall health of the athletics department. We need new ideas across the board from men's basketball to women's volleyball.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Like, Like, Like, Like and Like how this thread has been all day. I feel as if we Mason fans/grads are being proactive. Albiet, we are in the brainstorming phase, but still. This is how things start. Great ideas and thoughts by Tom, Leesburg and Walter. Would anybody like to get together and watch some game tomorrow at Greene Turtle or some place like that and talk more in addition to on this board?
If only I was local, I would love that.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Vurbel, I'm down.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Chank, I honestly don't know TOC the way you do. We are friendly in social situations due to crossing paths at so many games and events over the years, but I don't profess to know him personally beyond that. I do agree with KA that nothing will change until he retires. Hewitt is his guy, and he's going to give him every opportunity to succeed.

I understand. Any guidance you can give me will be highly appreciated. We have the same goals and I know you are a talented writer so you know the industry well.

I apologize if my passion for the program/university comes off as too confrontational and I know that may be a hindrance rather than an asset sometimes but I've found that action towards my goals is not only therapeutic but effective.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Chank, I love your passion and willingness to ignite a movement. I do think a lot of the anger directed at Hewitt is justified but misplaced. I have to laugh when some fans say he should resign. No coach in the country would do that, because they all believe they will turn things around. He'll keep coaching here until he's fired or some day retires.

You can't kill a snake without chopping off the head, and I think most people here know who the head is. Like Gemini said, this should be more about a referendum on our overall athetic program, starting with the ridiculous amount of sports we offer. I'll PM you my number if you want to brainstorm on some ideas.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Sent you a PM Chank.

I just like the idea of accountability to the fans. Doesn't seem there is much of that. Anything we could do to let the administration know there are people outside the university who care about what it's doing would be a good thing.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Brian's angle was fine. Just too many wimps not speaking up.

I think Brian's timing was off - too many kool-aid drinkers still. I think there's significantly fewer of those left after getting swept by Fordahm.

Also, tried to recruit too many of us that aren't local. Kudos to him for doing something though, and bet he'd be willing to try again.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I understand. Any guidance you can give me will be highly appreciated. We have the same goals and I know you are a talented writer so you know the industry well.

I apologize if my passion for the program/university comes off as too confrontational and I know that may be a hindrance rather than an asset sometimes but I've found that action towards my goals is not only therapeutic but effective.

I am really liking Chank - in many uncomfortable ways. I am in his column on this. Tom is the more intellectual cool headed portion of this - I am more about burning and pillaging.......I will await for my orders.