Student Section rebranded... again

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I see the same - they obviously all need to get on the same page and figure things out. That said, I don't think the band has gotten enough opportunity to play this season so far. But again, my perspective. I will say this though - until we get better CHEERING crowds (and cheerleaders who, um, LEAD CHEERS each possession), including a consistent turnout and active participation from the student section, sometimes the band is the only group supporting the team. And please, PLEASE can we get to a point where I never have to hear the visiting team/fans chanting defense?
Cheerleaders leading cheers??
But, we have the 5 butt gyrators in the stands at the end of the court!!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
The students have been showing up so far, I'll give them credit for that (been a struggle to achieve even this in recent seasons). Obviously the active participation, chants, standing, etc. is very much work in progress but it's going to take time to re-establish all of those things and also someone needs to take lead every game in getting them to do those things - whether student section leaders or fan engagement person from the AD + signage/call-to-actions to encourage participation. Create habits. Absolutely cannot rely on the cheerleaders for this, which was the case even back in the heyday of the student section.

Now for the rest of the fan base, need to start showing up more! We're only averaging about 3,200 per game.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I see the same - they obviously all need to get on the same page and figure things out. That saidI , I don't think the band has gotten enough opportunity to play this season so far. But again, my perspective. I will say this though - until we get better CHEERING crowds (and cheerleaders who, um, LEAD CHEERS each possession), including a consistent turnout and active participation from the student section, sometimes the band is the only group supporting the team. And please, PLEASE can we get to a point where I never have to hear the visiting team/fans chanting defense?
I agree. Maybe a generational thing, but I'm way more entertained by the band than I am by watching a musical chairs competition.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Might just be where I sit, but do others see and feel the tension nearly every timeout between the DJ/hype guy and the band? The amount of time one starts playing over the other or they literally squabble with each other feels petty.

I realize it's sacrilege, but I'd love to see our new hype guy and the DJ get a few more timeouts to themselves each game. The students/crowd seem to respond better and a DJ can play music our team actually listens to. Definitely a place for both, but these first few games have felt like a turf war most stops in the action.
I love the green machine but will say this, some things have started to get stale from the band and some of the sets could use a bit of a refresh. It doesn’t seem to get the students or crowd going like it used to and is becoming more of a concert venue for them then a group to inject energy into the arena.

I expect I’ll have a burning Tuba in my front yard tonight for posting this.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Cheerleaders leading cheers??
But, we have the 5 butt gyrators in the stands at the end of the court!!
You can complain about the in game entertainment when you actually show up to a game.

I love the green machine but will say this, some things have started to get stale from the band and some of the sets could use a bit of a refresh. It doesn’t seem to get the students or crowd going like it used to and is becoming more of a concert venue for them then a group to inject energy into the arena.

I expect I’ll have a burning Tuba in my front yard tonight for posting this.

Have you not seen the dude playing the maracas? He's worth the price of admission.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I realize it's sacrilege, but I'd love to see our new hype guy and the DJ get a few more timeouts to themselves each game. The students/crowd seem to respond better and a DJ can play music our team actually listens to. Definitely a place for both, but these first few games have felt like a turf war most stops in the action.

SACRILEGE!!! Burn him!

Ok, seriously, I do not like a DJ/'Hype Guy' involved with the game.

[begin /rant]
I find it more annoying than most anything else about the game time/day experience. The last thing I want is for college basketball to move any closer to becoming the NBA than they already have (and I get I am likely fighting a losing battle). When you give people a microphone, most just cannot help themselves and try to become the show instead of a supporting cast member.

For example, I was at an ODU game recently and the DJ wouldn't stop shushing the crowd during free throws when it wasn't needed, trying to get people to 'get on their feet', playing music waaayyy too often, etc. The hype guy need to try to work with the students in attendance, not the older adults/alumni who couldn't care less about being hyped. We will cheer when needed or appropriate, but the product on the court needs to give us a reason to cheer, not some hype guy yelling at me to stand up when there's nothing going on in the court. A 'hype' guys works well when the people are already in to the game and he, or she (trying to be inclusive here), are just directing the cheers, not trying to get uninterested in cheering people to cheer.
[end /rant]

Go Mason!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
S
You can complain about the in game entertainment when you actually show up to a game.
We complain about lots of stuff we haven't seen in person. And anyway, I can complain about anything I want.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We have a hype guy? Hello...use him to start the ever creative chants!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
S

We complain about lots of stuff we haven't seen in person. And anyway, I can complain about anything I want.
iu