Student Section rebranded... again

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Now called the Mason Maniaks (after that scary a** former mascot from the black and white photos). Let's see if this one sticks: https://gomason.com/news/2023/11/1/athletics-launches-mason-maniaks-student-section.aspx
I actually don't hate this, finding ways to connect the different eras of Mason basketball is smart. The benefits don't seem much different from the old Platoon days when I was a student (not a bad thing). I just hope the athletic dept puts consistent support behind this and sticks with it.

In typical Mason fashion though it's a little disappointing that they couldn't get this rolled out sooner so students got their t-shirts in time for the home/season opener.

I wonder if they'll add anything (signage, props, etc.) to the student section area to make it stand out more.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
1698859886303.jpeg

He deserves to be back fulltime at the games.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good grief can we also have a cheer class? The whole student section and Doc Nix does not work well. Yes, doc nix is great but there has to be some coordination. Cannot believe this cannot get synchronized. Just want to get back to the 2010 student section! Even if we win without coordination our crowd will still suck!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Good grief can we also have a cheer class? The whole student section and Doc Nix does not work well. Yes, doc nix is great but there has to be some coordination. Cannot believe this cannot get synchronized. Just want to get back to the 2010 student section! Even if we win without coordination our crowd will still suck!
Agree. We need some Premerie League style singing and chants in coordination with the band.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't remember being that in-sync with the band other than timeouts/stoppage in play - the obvious Livin on a Prayer, George Mason chant, etc. I probably don't remember because it was just natural that the band carried the weight during timeouts, and the students during gameplay.

It probably just seems off now because it's such a one sided affair coming from the band. The students now don't do anything during actual gameplay/barely show up to begin with. Hopefully this rebrand and more of an effort from athletics to engage students will help, outside of the obvious and biggest factor called winning.

They have a LOT of work to do in my opinion.

The screenshot is from GMU "Reditt". The original poster is me. The guy who responded is allegedly a Mason student. He is more into clubs or intramurals. He viewed that as "more fun"

I've also talked to Greg and another guy I know in the fieldhouse about this topic over the years.

Students nowadays are into their Phones and not into sports.

There also is a general perception (based on that GMU Reditt discussion of the practice facility) that we used to be good but we aren't anymore. "We are Washed", or "My boss told me that Mason made the Final Four once about twenty years ago, and has desperately tried to maintain that stature. His words, not mine. The proof is in the pudding, but it's no surprise that they squander disproportionate resources this way. It's weird: there seems to be a large booster sort of community, but at the same time, you go to a game and the seats are empty. Once I swear that the visiting team had more supporters in attendance than Mason. Kinda pathetic."

It's starting from scratch. Father Peter and CCM isn't there to provide student energy.

They have to identify who the basketball fans are among the students and then work WITH THEM to bring their friends to build this UP. They cannot stifile their creativity like the old fart Jay Marsh did with the cheer sheets.

This is a skeptical bunch that has to be won over that has a perception we stink and that the money should be spent elsewhere.

It's going to take time and hopefully it'll grow as Tony grows.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 5.45.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 5.45.58 PM.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 119

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ask this guy if.he plays intramural sports and if so, would it excite him to play better if he had several hotties cheering for him?

Realistic Goals for them:

1. 50-75 students a game. A good chunk of whom care (standing/cheering)
2. Organizing a trip to cheer the team at GW - no reason it can't be done. it's on the orange line.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
For what it's worth, /r/GMU is a weird place. Not super active by subreddit standards and the discussions there can get really strange...down to specific professors and classes and what they like/don't like about them. Seems a lot tend to be commuter CS majors who wouldn't really be part of the campus atmosphere anyway.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For what it's worth, /r/GMU is a weird place. Not super active by subreddit standards and the discussions there can get really strange...down to specific professors and classes and what they like/don't like about them. Seems a lot tend to be commuter CS majors who wouldn't really be part of the campus atmosphere anyway.
I second this, I read it and its mostly complaining.

That said, its probably a good small sample of how students feel considering its the same crap I used to hear back in our day. Then again, most folks who complained the most were the most inactive on campus and didn't know or care to be part of what was going on.

When the team wins (big), magically everyone becomes a superfan though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ask this guy if.he plays intramural sports and if so, would it excite him to play better if he had several hotties cheering for him?

Might also want to point out that the university spent over a billion in academic and student related capital infrastructure projects since 2006 and $15 million for a RAC expansion is a drop in the bucket…

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Final Four didn't give us anything ... Will Thomas, Folarin Campbell, Jai Lewis, Lamar Butler, and Coach Tony Skinn, with an "also staring" in one Gabe Norwood, arrived and took from the NCAAs the blue bloods - Michigan St., UNC, and UConn - and said here we are! We are Mason! and got a whole nation behind them.

We were given nothing, and we (almost) took everything.