Spain Trip

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Understanding the disclaimer that we may have played the Washington Generals of Spain, I am getting genuinely excited about Trey Porter. Between the open practice and this game, I'm starting to believe the kid is a player. And yes, he needs to bulk up, but the game has changed enough the last decade or so that long, wirey guys no longer are a complete mismatch like they used to be. I'm seeing a Mike Mo type with a far more refined offensive game as a freshman.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Understanding the disclaimer that we may have played the Washington Generals of Spain, I am getting genuinely excited about Trey Porter. Between the open practice and this game, I'm starting to believe the kid is a player. And yes, he needs to bulk up, but the game has changed enough the last decade or so that long, wirey guys no longer are a complete mismatch like they used to be. I'm seeing a Mike Mo type with a far more refined offensive game as a freshman.

This. I also saw that Porter had a few alley oops. Judging from how he throws down dunks, I can't wait to see him do that in the PC in a real game (maybe against vcu:D)

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The skinniest player I've seen who had a good game was Putney on UMass last year and I'd say Trey is bigger than him so I don't think we need to worry much about his size.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Shevon Thompson could be a great buffer while Porter is learning the game at the collegiate level. I have no clue how big the opposing players were yesterday, but a double-double is a double-double. Anything we can get out of both of these guys this year is a bonus since they weren't on the team last season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The skinniest player I've seen who had a good game was Putney on UMass last year and I'd say Trey is bigger than him so I don't think we need to worry much about his size.

Putney is a good comparison because of body type and athleticism, but even at 6-9 he was almost entirely a perimeter player.

If Trey is going to eventually play in the low post, he's gonna have to put on 25-30 pounds to be effective. Otherwise he'll get tossed around like a rag doll.

KAOriginal

All-American
I wasnt necessarily dumping on us with the 5'10" comment....in fact when the score was relayed to me by another Mason fan last night....it was more of a sense of relief.

I figured a 4th tier league team from Spain would be a bunch of Spanish Al Bundys still hanging on to the dream. So if we didn't put a beat down on such a team, I had no hope for the season....

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KA, I actually laughed at your comment, because even a women's 4th tier team would have a player over 5' 10. Hopefully, we get a good challenge today in Barcelona, or as they over there with their heavy Spanish accents, Barthelona.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Congrats to the players and coaches for coming out and playing hard after a lot of travel.

Don't complain about beating a team with a 12-16 record. They played better against pro talent than we did against college talent last season...

We are on the trip to bond, provide a unique opportunity to kids who may not have it otherwise, steal extra practice time, and have extra playing time to gel. Given the choice, I'd rather be winning games on this trip than losing games, so you won't hear me degrading/devaluing ANY win.

KAOriginal

All-American
The Patriots defeated CB Castelldefels in game two, 89-65. Vaughn Gray finished the game with 17 points and pulled down seven rebounds, including three offensive. Erik Copes posted a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds, including seven on the offensive end.

http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209609959

Who knows if the prior mess was personal or coaching, but I hope Gray's time has finally arived and he tears it up this season.....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Who knows if the prior mess was personal or coaching, but I hope Gray's time has finally arived and he tears it up this season.....

Both Gray and Copes should be plenty motivated. One last chance to make the type of impact on the program both had hoped to have when they came to Mason.

If they both make big contributions, we actually do have a pretty good chance of being better this season than we were last season.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Both Gray and Copes should be plenty motivated. One last chance to make the type of impact on the program both had hoped to have when they came to Mason.

If they both make big contributions, we actually do have a pretty good chance of being better this season than we were last season.

We just need to get out of the play in game to have a better season. I mean that semi tongue and cheek, but only semi.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Nice that we've had different players lead us in scoring in each of our three games.

@JonRothstein: George Mason wins third exhibition game in Spain 72-68. 18 points for Patrick Holloway. 10 for Marko Gujanicic.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Nice that we've had different players lead us in scoring in each of our three games.

@JonRothstein: George Mason wins third exhibition game in Spain 72-68. 18 points for Patrick Holloway. 10 for Marko Gujanicic.

Holloway had team-high 18 in first and third games.

But I think I see the point you were trying to make. So far, Patrick definitely looks like a "different player" than he did last season. Hope he keeps it up in games that count! :bigsmile: