Rooting guide

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's totally debatable what to root for, I stated the reasons why I'm still rooting for Davidson to win out - based on probability of results and not wanting vcu to win regular season. Silver lining is - who we root for has zero impact on what actually happens, so not like we will have to say "Damnit, I should have rooted for one more Davidson loss?!!!"
Sure, there's no karma involved in hoping other teams win or lose. No schadenfreude either when the wins/losses play out one's way. If it's the non-conferference season, NCAA Tourney or NIT, then I root for the A10 conference. However, in conference play, that which I hope for mostly is for the rest of the A10 to beat the hell out of each other in a way that moves Mason up the ladder. That gives me unqualified joy!

The players and coaches are playing to win and that includes taking the top spot in the league. The only way that happens is if Mason wins and everyone else in contention loses. Therefore, I'm siding with the team. Go Mason!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Davidson remainder schedule isn’t quiet exactly a cake walk. They still have to play Dayton and URI on the road. La Salle has been playing much better as of late, and St. Bonaventure is never an easy night.

I think it’s realistic to see Davidson drop two more games.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
"Pops" making himself know at Hawk Hill. Game delayed due to bent rim from too much touching.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Bonaventure beat St. Joe's 76-51.
Davidson beat Fordham 79-69.

Bear in mind, Dayton doesn't play till Saturday against vcu.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
New features added - which team is favored and by how much, key matchup in blue - this is the matchup that is most important and most likely to go our way

Current standings:
1. Davidson 9 - 2 (owns tiebreaker over vcu)
2. vcu 8 - 2
3. George Mason 8 - 3
4. Dayton 8 - 3
5. Duquesne 7 - 4
6. Saint Louis - 6-5
6. St. Bonaventure 6 - 5
8. La Salle 5 - 5

Current place - 3rd (tiebreaker over Dayton)
Win vs UMass - keeps us in 3rd (vcu and Davidson own tiebreakers over us)
Loss vs UMass - 3rd or 4th

Who/what to root for and what we got (green good, red bad):

SBU @ SJU - SBU's 6th loss: SBU blew them out

Davidson @ Fordham - Davidson really messed up their slim at large chances with last loss, but still want them to keep winning for 1) slim at large chance, 2) prevent vcu from winning regular season, and 3) still slim chance they lose 2 games more than we do rest of way. If they lose again before we do, this may change. Davidson won to take 1/2 game lead over vcu

SLU @ GW+5 - SLU's 6th loss

Richmond+11.5 @ vcu - vcu's 3rd loss (reduces their chance of regular season title and increases our chances of still getting 2nd seed)

KEY MATCHUP
Duquesne+1.5 @ LaSalle - Duquesne's 5th loss and creation of 2 game separation between 4th and 5th spots

UMass+8 @ MASON - Duh

SLU and Duquesne remain as the 2 teams we want to avoid in the quarters on Friday, which likely requires 2nd seed. A10 bracket:
View attachment 713

Last edited:
OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
About the same that Fordham goes dancing.

Given Fordham's history with losing every talented player they ever have, seems like a near certainty.
14-15 - Paschall to Villanova
15-16 - Severe to Iona
16-17 - Sengfelder to Boise St.
17-18 - Chartouney to Marquette
18-19 - Honor to ?

Pretty sure there are more, they've essentially become a Juco

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Given Fordham's history with losing every talented player they ever have, seems like a near certainty.
14-15 - Paschall to Villanova
15-16 - Severe to Iona
16-17 - Sengfelder to Boise St.
17-18 - Chartouney to Marquette
18-19 - Honor to ?

Pretty sure there are more, they've essentially become a Juco
Chartouney is horrible at a very good Marquette team this year... mins have decreased as Marquette has won more. avg a solid 3 2 and 3 (shoulda stayed in A10)

Severe wasn't really that good at Fordham nor at Iona afterwards

Sengfedler was GOOD but nothing more at both Fordham and Boise

Paschall is an outlier in this as he was really good at Fordham for a freshman and has had a great career at Villanova

I really don't think Nick Honor is that special but he will probably transfer somewhere

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Chartouney is horrible at a very good Marquette team this year... mins have decreased as Marquette has won more. avg a solid 3 2 and 3 (shoulda stayed in A10)

Severe wasn't really that good at Fordham nor at Iona afterwards

Sengfedler was GOOD but nothing more at both Fordham and Boise

Paschall is an outlier in this as he was really good at Fordham for a freshman and has had a great career at Villanova

I really don't think Nick Honor is that special but he will probably transfer somewhere

On Chartouney, I don’t know, he’s pretty much a lock for the NCAA tournament this year (maybe a deep run). I’m not sure he’d ever get there with Fordham. So the question would be, would you rather be the best player on a bad team or a bench player at a top 10 school?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
On Chartouney, I don’t know, he’s pretty much a lock for the NCAA tournament this year (maybe a deep run). I’m not sure he’d ever get there with Fordham. So the question would be, would you rather be the best player on a bad team or a bench player at a top 10 school?
Always want to win. Just stating that he’s not very good. I’d go to Marquette and watch Howard drop 30 every night from the bench in a second

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Current standings:
2. vcu 9 - 2
3. George Mason 9 - 3
4. Dayton 8 - 3
5. Duquesne 7 - 5
6. Saint Louis - 7-5
6. St. Bonaventure 6 - 5
8. La Salle 6 - 5

SBU @ SJU - SBU's 6th loss: SBU blew them out

Davidson @ Fordham - Davidson really messed up their slim at large chances with last loss, but still want them to keep winning for 1) slim at large chance, 2) prevent vcu from winning regular season, and 3) still slim chance they lose 2 games more than we do rest of way. If they lose again before we do, this may change. Davidson won to take 1/2 game lead over vcu

SLU @ GW+5 - SLU's 6th loss - SLU won

Richmond+11.5 @ vcu - vcu's 3rd loss (reduces their chance of regular season title and increases our chances of still getting 2nd seed) - vcu won big (hottest team in A10 right now? :mad:)

KEY MATCHUP
Duquesne+1.5 @ LaSalle - Duquesne's 5th loss and creation of 2 game separation between 4th and 5th spots

UMass+8 @ MASON - Duh

SLU and Duquesne remain as the 2 teams we want to avoid in the quarters on Friday, which likely requires 2nd seed. A10 bracket:
View attachment 713

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Thank you for the breathing room, Pookie Powell! Duquesne’s loss last night was huge for our chances at the double bye.

Two-game lead over fifth place with six to play — three at home, three on the road.

The question now becomes: Do we root for vcu :vomit: on Saturday to improve our chances at finishing no worse than 3rd, or Dayton to give us a legit shot at passing vcu and finishing 2nd? (I know, we NEVER root for vcu).

Given schedules and tiebreakers, I see no way Davidson doesn’t win the regular season, unfortunately.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
2 seed all the way. I'd rather play LaSalle than SLU or DUQ in Quarters.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I am not ready to crown Davidson the champion yet. Davidson has a tough path ahead of them. They have to play Dayton and a hot La Salle. They also have to play URI on the road. URI has a decent home record of 7-3. URI beat vcu at home.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Current standings:
2. vcu 9 - 2
3. George Mason 9 - 3
4. Dayton 8 - 3
5. Duquesne 7 - 5
6. Saint Louis - 7-5
6. St. Bonaventure 6 - 5
8. La Salle 6 - 5

SJU +11.5 @ Davidson - 1st of 2 additional losses needed for us to pass Davidson OR Davidson to continue to win to remain ahead of vcu and keep their slim at large chances alive

GW @ Duquesne - Duq's 6th loss

Key Matchup
vcu @ Dayton - vcu's 3rd loss which will position us very well to finish above them with a W in next our matchup

LaSalle @ SLU - SLU's 6th loss

MASON @ SBU - SBU's 6th loss.

View attachment 713

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Don’t really want to make a new thread for this.. so Happy Valentines Day to Sherrod Wright, who gifted me the best Valentines Day I’ll ever have in my lifetime.. I’ll love him forever because of that night

Haha - good reference! His heroics really helped flip the script on that night from "I can't believe you made us go to a basketball game on valentines day" to "Wow, good thing I didn't stop us from going to this game!"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Haha - good reference! His heroics really helped flip the script on that night from "I can't believe you made us go to a basketball game on valentines day" to "Wow, good thing I didn't stop us from going to this game!"

Lol- yep I heard that too. Although my wife says I smacked her back in excitement after the buzzer and it still hurts. :crazytongue:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
2 seed all the way. I'd rather play LaSalle than SLU or DUQ in Quarters.
Still too early to know exactly where everything will fall but......I would rather take whatever gives us vcu in the semi's. I'll take my chance on Friday against anyone considering they'll have played the day before.

But I don't want to see Davidson until Sunday. Last time we played them we held them to a very low percentage from deep, Brajkovic went to the bench for almost all of the first half because of two fouls in the first minute, Grady was held to an average game, we were at home and.......we still lost. I know we can beat vcu away from their place. I'm much more confident in that.