Rooting guide

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Down goes Davidson.........

Apparently Pipkins injured his hamstring during the St. Joe's game and didn't play at all against Davidson, yet still UMass won by 3 in a very low scoring game 54-51. Probably helped that Grady was 1-10 and only scored 4 pts. And Pierre was 5-7 from 3 and scored a season-high 23 pts.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Absolutely amazing! Mason gets thumped by Richmond and today Davidson is smacked down by UMass. Anyone can lose to anyone in this conference.

WE got smacked. Davidson got nudged.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Original post updated, but I'll start posting the update as a new post as well:

Current place - 3rd (tiebreaker over Dayton)
Win vs UMass - keeps us in 3rd (vcu and Davidson own tiebreakers over us)
Loss vs UMass - 3rd or 4th

Current standings:
1. Davidson 8 - 2 (owns tiebreaker over vcu)
2. vcu 8 - 2
3. George Mason 8 - 3
4. Dayton 8 - 3
5. Duquesne 7 - 4
6. Saint Louis - 6-5
7. La Salle 5 - 5
8. St. Bonaventure 5 - 5

Who/what to root for and what we got (green good, red bad):

SBU @ SJU - SBU's 6th loss

Davidson @ Fordham - Davidson really messed up their slim at large chances with last loss, but still want them to keep winning for 1) slim at large chance, 2) prevent vcu from winning regular season, and 3) still slim chance they lose 2 games more than we do rest of way. If they lose again before we do, this may change.

SLU @ GW - SLU's 6th loss

Richmond @ vcu - vcu's 3rd loss (reduces their chance of regular season title and increases our chances of still getting 2nd seed)

Duquesne @ LaSalle - Duquesne's 5th loss and creation of 2 game separation between 4th and 5th spots

UMass @ MASON - Duh

SLU and Duquesne remain as the 2 teams we want to avoid in the quarters on Friday, which likely requires 2nd seed. A10 bracket:
View attachment 713

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Original post updated, but I'll start posting the update as a new post as well:

Current place - 3rd (tiebreaker over Dayton)
Win vs UMass - keeps us in 3rd (vcu and Davidson own tiebreakers over us)
Loss vs UMass - 3rd or 4th

Current standings:
1. Davidson 8 - 2 (owns tiebreaker over vcu)
2. vcu 8 - 2
3. George Mason 8 - 3
4. Dayton 8 - 3
5. Duquesne 7 - 4
6. Saint Louis - 6-5
7. La Salle 5 - 5
8. St. Bonaventure 5 - 5

Who/what to root for and what we got (green good, red bad):

SBU @ SJU - SBU's 6th loss

Davidson @ Fordham - Davidson really messed up their slim at large chances with last loss, but still want them to keep winning for 1) slim at large chance, 2) prevent vcu from winning regular season, and 3) still slim chance they lose 2 games more than we do rest of way. If they lose again before we do, this may change.

SLU @ GW - SLU's 6th loss

Richmond @ vcu - vcu's 3rd loss (reduces their chance of regular season title and increases our chances of still getting 2nd seed)

Duquesne @ LaSalle - Duquesne's 5th loss and creation of 2 game separation between 4th and 5th spots

UMass @ MASON - Duh

SLU and Duquesne remain as the 2 teams we want to avoid in the quarters on Friday, which likely requires 2nd seed. A10 bracket:
View attachment 713
I don't see any colors.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would Mason fans want Davidson to win? Mason is only a game behind 1st place. Mason could guarentee an NIT birth.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
At the risk of causing an international incident, I agree with you.

You agree we are only a game behind first place when Davidson has the tiebreaker? Someone calculate the odds of Davidson losing twice and us not losing again...

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You agree we are only a game behind first place when Davidson has the tiebreaker? Someone calculate the odds of Davidson losing twice and us not losing again...
A team must lose one first in order to lose a total of two... two... two... or three? That's 1st-grade math.

Unless other team(s) are too far ahead of us to catch, the priority should be a loss to any team above us in the standings. Failing that, then you root for a loss to any team directly behind you in the standings. No?

There is still a lot of basketball to be played here to give up on or rule out finishing at the top of the conference.

Last edited:

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
St. Louis won their first six A10 games, lost four straight, and are maybe on the verge on beginning another losing streak. All I'm saying is that losing streaks start with the first loss. If you're Davidson and/or
vc-yoooo, why not start a losing streak on Tuesday or Wednesday respectively?

With seven+ games remaining for A10 teams, I choose optimism rather than practicality. I'll revisit this stance in a week or two... two... two... or three?

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I liked seeing Javon in the post-game presser; he is only a sophomore and communicates well in front of the camera.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
St. Louis won their first six A10 games, lost four straight, and are maybe on the verge on beginning another losing streak. All I'm saying is that losing streaks start with the first loss. If you're Davidson and/or
vc-yoooo, why not start a losing streak on Tuesday or Wednesday respectively?

With seven+ games remaining for A10 teams, I choose optimism rather than practicality. I'll revisit this stance in a week or two... two... two... or three?

It's totally debatable what to root for, I stated the reasons why I'm still rooting for Davidson to win out - based on probability of results and not wanting vcu to win regular season. Silver lining is - who we root for has zero impact on what actually happens, so not like we will have to say "Damnit, I should have rooted for one more Davidson loss?!!!"

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To me, if we can’t finish first, I don’t think there is much difference between finishing second, third, or fourth. The quarterfinal matchups will all look similar as will the semis and finals (not much difference between the 2/3 seed and the 1 seed to me in terms of playability).