News Patriot Center to become EagleBank Arena

Yenom

Recruit
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c11846-f438-11e4-b2f3-af5479e6bbdd_story.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Thomas Heath May 6 at 11:00 PM
EagleBank, the Bethesda-based community bank that has been expanding into Northern Virginia, will put its name on George Mason University’s Patriot Center as part of a $6.6 million, 10-year sponsorship deal.

“I’m very excited about partnering with Mason in that the passion of EagleBank is to give back to the community,” said Ronald D. Paul, chairman and chief executive of EagleBank. “Part of that is creating leaders and entrepreneurs who will become the future of that community.”

The venue will be known as the EagleBank Arena effective July 1, and includes the option for EagleBank to unilaterally extend the agreement for an additional 10 years for a similar amount of money.

The deal extends beyond the 10,000-seat arena and into the classroom, where the bank’s executives will team with the university for a lecture series that will include GMU faculty, students and alumni. It will also extend into the bank, which will create an internship/apprentice program for GMU’s would-be financiers. The bank also will fund scholarships.

“It’s a true partnership,” said George Mason president Angel Cabrera. “We share a mission, we share values and they are providing resources of great value to our students and to our community.”

GMU’s Patriot Center in Fairfax County, Va., opened Oct. 4, 1985 and is managed by Monumental Sports & Entertainment, the Ted Leonsis-controlled private company that includes the Verizon Center, the NBA Wizards, WNBA Mystics and NHL Capitals.

The Patriot Center has hosted more than 12 million patrons at more than 3,500 events, from Disney on Ice to Bruce Springsteen to college sports and events.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Guys - we have been complaining that they never sold naming opportunities for the Pat Dome for years. Now that it happens and we are getting much needed funds to the program - we complain.

I welcome this news as it means shit is getting done with this AD.

Hooooah!

Spot on!

Great job by BE and AC. We need every bit of revenue we can get our hands on, given that we've agreed to pay cost-of-attendance stipends and are looking to make facility improvements to benefit basketball and other sports. This is a move that is long, long overdue.

And quite frankly, being associated with EagleBank is a pretty smart marketing tie in, with eagles and patriots both being symbols of American freedom. It's not like they went with Tony's Taco Hut or something like that.

Anyone complaining about this is just looking for something to complain about.

Seems a pretty small amount of money for a long amount of time. I was under the impression we were looking for a million bucks a year. Guess the "partnership" explains the discount...

If Mason could have just waited till I won the lottery I would have named it something cool.

Can't believe a tech company didn't jump all over this, but they are generally cutting back right now.

Maybe I'll use Eagle going forward.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Seems a pretty small amount of money for a long amount of time. I was under the impression we were looking for a million bucks a year. Guess the "partnership" explains the discount...

If Mason could have just waited till I won the lottery I would have named it something cool.

Can't believe a tech company didn't jump all over this, but they are generally cutting back right now.

Maybe I'll use Eagle going forward.

Crawl, walk, run gentlemen.

mason89

Starter
Just like the Cap Centre (nobody refered to it as USAir Arena), I'm sure most people (especially those of us on these boards) will still refer to it at as the Patriot Center or Pat Dome. Great move by the administration, though!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I am surprised we couldn't get $1MM per year, given the sheer number of people that pour into the arena for events.

Then again, considering where our basketball program is right now ...

Perhaps there's a clause in the contract that allows us to renegotiate terms in the event that the building's chief tenant stops sucking a**?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
To summarize: new coach, upgrade to the sound system, & the renamed arena. Is it time for a new PA announcer and the return of TSG?

Steve33

Sixth Man
im ok with this naming rights move. Its good for the school and the athletic dept. It's not as much $ as i thought it would be but its good to see that AC and BE are getting things done.

KAOriginal

All-American
Like the move by this administration. We certainly got the the right people at the right time to clean up the mess we found ourselves in.

But will miss the Patriot Center/Pat Dome name.......

Angry

Recruit
If Mason didn't throw away so much money there wouldn't be the need to rename the Patriot Center. Look at Administration for wasteful spending...year after year after year after year!