News Patriot Center to become EagleBank Arena

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Congrats to AC and BB. This is the type of thing they were hired to do.
For those wondering why it is not more $$, its not all about the basketball team. The arena has no suites, has outdated hospitality facilities, no video board, and limited digital signage. The fact they got $660k/yr is a good thing, IMO.

On the other side, if I'm Eagle Bank, I don't want to see Apple Federal at the games and the Capital One ATMs removed from the arena.

I'm curious of Eagle Bank got the rights to the on-campus ATMs and any school-related financing business. I would have held out for at least the ATMs.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
For those wondering why it is not more $$, its not all about the basketball team. The arena has no suites, has outdated hospitality facilities, no video board, and limited digital signage. The fact they got $660k/yr is a good thing, IMO.

On the other side, if I'm Eagle Bank, I don't want to see Apple Federal at the games and the Capital One ATMs removed from the arena.

I'm curious of Eagle Bank got the rights to the on-campus ATMs and any school-related financing business. I would have held out for at least the ATMs.

Any chance that this 6.6 mil goes back into the Patriot Center... I mean the EagleBank Arena to help give it some upgrades?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Any chance that this 6.6 mil goes back into the Patriot Center... I mean the EagleBank Arena to help give it some upgrades?

Would be great if it did, even if only to accommodate a video board.

That said, I doubt AC and BE are going to invest too much in upgrading a facility that will need to be replaced sooner than later.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This seems like a calculated move. The Pat Dome is in major need of upgrades. What better way to complete the job than having someone else pay for it.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Would be great if it did, even if only to accommodate a video board.

That said, I doubt AC and BE are going to invest too much in upgrading a facility that will need to be replaced sooner than later.

Richmond was able to upgrade their place w/o tearing it down and I hear it looks great now - I would think we would be able to do the same (but it's going to cost more than 6.6 million).

GMUSig03

All-Conference

This, I'm pretty happy with the figures given we are selling low after back to back 20 loss seasons rather then on the heals of an NCAA or Final 4 appearance...

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They could name it ACW's Sweaty Taint for all I care..... guys.... we are getting money. Any money for that ageing beauty is a good thing. This is long overdue. Just be happy a company wants to sponsor this depreciating investment. Ironic it is a bank.

I'm more impressed with our Admin going after sponsorship deals! This is way overdue. Cabrera understands and likes the smell of money. He shits green!

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I can confirm. Went down there this season for the game. It is NICE.

And AC and BB were down there, checking it out.

I was down there for the game and their arena is now nice. They invested in some very big and nice suites at every corner of the stadium. Used to be a hunk of junk.

Understand that UR is also a private school. Its an old university and lots of old money in that city. Their alumni base can throw millions at that school and not even bat an eye. Plus....Muffy and Buffy have been working overtime on and off the tennis courts down there.

GMU can barely raise $20,000 at an alumni golf tournament much less raise millions for upgrades to the Patdome.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
What Richmond did with filling in the top corners and adding suites is exactly what we should do. You don't have to worry about the roof because you put the video boards in the corners and you also get some nice VIP suites in the process. Plus, it knocks out some seats making it a little easier to fill for basketball games (pre-hewitt anyway).

We just got about 1/3 of the money it would cost. Would love it if we could pull it off.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...mason-university-sells-patriot-center.html#i1:

Enlarge
GMU/EAGLEBANK

This rendering shows how the Patriot Center will look when it is renamed EagleBank Arena… more

"Among major Washington area universities, only the University of Maryland has naming rights sponsors for its major athletic facilities, with the Xfinity Center (Comcast) and Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium."

I am guessing Eagle Bank's colors are blue and gold but it would be nice if for the arena they could change the blue to green. Otherwise it looks like Georgia Southern's arena.

Dawgs99

Starter
Lamar mentioned something on Twitter earlier about being excited about the new practice gym......?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I like what UT did with their arena upgrade, replaced orange seats with black and reduced the capacity from 25k to 21k by adding luxury boxes.

http://www.architectural-photographer-tennessee.com/data/photos/135_1img_2236.jpg

All that cost $20m in 2007. Phase I renovations included new seats for the entire arena, a center hung scoreboard and concourse refurbishments, such as graphics and other amenities. Another key element of Phase I is adding load bearing capacity to the arena roof structure, which is no longer adequate for some modern touring production requirements, and painting the ceiling tiles black.

"Keeping Thompson-Boling Arena competitive and viable for touring events is an important aspect of the renovation. The arena's load bearing capacity for concert equipment such as speaker towers and video boards is no longer sufficient for many performers' shows," said Hamilton. "These renovations will make Thompson-Boling a much more attractive venue for concerts and other performances for years to come."

Phase I also includes new luxury suites and loge seating, which are a primary funding source for much of the renovations. The 32 luxury suites are located in the existing north balcony of Thompson-Boling Arena. The loge area features 166 side court seats, located directly below the luxury suites, and includes private adjoining hospitality areas.