Patrick Holloway

Pablo

Hall of Famer
While watching Patrick Holloway's back-to-back 3-pt. FG's before Jalen Jenkins' game-winning 75-foot buzzer beater, was anyone else reminded of Lamar Butler?

If you mean by making 3 pointers like many other shooting guards over their careers...then yes, it was just like Lamar Butler.

Other than that...I got nothing. I wish Pat would learn the game as well as Lamar. Or at least try to play a little defense from time to time.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Last season, Patrick Holloway had 21 assists and 19 turnovers for an assist/turnover ratio of 1.1. So far this season, he has 3 assists and 17 turnovers for an assist/turnover ratio of 0.2.

In fairness to Patrick, you put Lamar Butler on this team as the #1 scoring option, you'd see Lamar shoot a lot worse than he did when he was part of an incredibly balanced lineup. Also in fairness to him, it's really hard to deliver assists on this team.

Love PH on a team as instant offense of the bench or a maybe #3 scoring option (as he amazingly was in HS). But a #1 option? Uh-oh.

The defensive shortcomings are well documented. I would have been intrigued to see where that would have put him on an L Cuban team. Perhaps his defense would be better by now.

PH can be incredibly clutch.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
In the first 4 games this season, Patrick averaged 8.75 3-pt. FGA's per game. In the last 6 games, he's averaged 3.83 3-pt. FGA's per game.

In the first 3 games this season, Patrick shot 45.8% (11-24) behind the arc. In the last 7 games, he's shot 23.5% (8-34) behind the arc.

Cornell: 4-11
Princeton: 2-5
West Virginia: 5-8
New Mexico: 1-11
College of Charleston: 0-2
Manhattan: 2-4
ODU: 1-5
Northern Iowa: 1-6
Catawba: 1-2
Iona: 2-4

Is it fair to say that starting with the College of Charleston game, the Patriots have been executing an offense that doesn't rely as much on Patrick's 3-pointers to carry the load?

sigmanorm

Starter
In the first 4 games this season, Patrick averaged 8.75 3-pt. FGA's per game. In the last 6 games, he's averaged 3.83 3-pt. FGA's per game.

In the first 3 games this season, Patrick shot 45.8% (11-24) behind the arc. In the last 7 games, he's shot 23.5% (8-34) behind the arc.

Cornell: 4-11
Princeton: 2-5
West Virginia: 5-8
New Mexico: 1-11
College of Charleston: 0-2
Manhattan: 2-4
ODU: 1-5
Northern Iowa: 1-6
Catawba: 1-2
Iona: 2-4

Is it fair to say that starting with the College of Charleston game, the Patriots have been executing an offense that doesn't rely as much on Patrick's 3-pointers to carry the load?
Or after the 1-11 shooting vs NW he is just more selective now?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
A comparison of Patrick Holloway's & Vertrail Vaughns' shooting behind the arc:

Patrick Holloway:
2013-14: 41.1% (51-124)

2014-15 (first 3 games): 45.8% (11-24)
2014-15 - (last 10 games): 20.0% (10-50)

2014-15 (all 13 games so far): 28.4% (21-74)

Vertrail Vaughns:

2010-11: 49.3% (33-67)

2011-12 (first 5 games): 52.2% (12-23)
2011-12 (last 28 games): 31.6% (30-95)

2011-12 (all 33 games): 35.6% (42-118)

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Patrick's mechanics are much better than Vertrail's. I loved Vetrail's energy, defense and early career shooting, but his mechanics paled in comparison to Patrick.

May not be a popular opinion - Patrick just needs to keep shooting.

Perhaps with more team balance and what seems to be less reliance on Patrick being a #1 option we will see his shooting % increase over the course of the season. Especially if he is getting fed the ball from our guys inside and can find open looks.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Agree with Scott. I'd also venture that Patrick shoots about 60% in the final 4 minutes of games, a nice trait to have.

My biggest issue with Patrick's offense (and I guess the teams as a whole) is that he doesn't do a great job getting open for shots. It seems every team we play against has little problem getting open looks for their shooters, yet how often do you remember us running a set that resulted in an open look for Patrick. Some of that is on the team/coaching, but some of that is on him too.

I'm also a fan of the way Patrick has developed his midrange game and drives to the basket, making him a more complete scorer and not just a long range shooter.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You also have to consider that teams game-plan to take Patrick away, and that often means doubling him on occasion. Even when his shot is off — which is unfortunately more often than not of late — he is still drawing a lot of attention and creating opportunities for other players. We need to make those team pay by finding the open man.

If this team was loaded with perimeter shooters, we'd have the luxury of letting Patrick take a back seat; but as Scott said, we just have to let him shoot his way out of this slump. As long as he's not forcing shots, he needs to keep firing away when he has an open look. He's too good of a shooter for them not to starting falling on a consistent basis.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Agreed. I think Patrick was putting too much pressure on himself. We saw the same struggles with Cam Long and Folarin Campbell. Like Patrick, each had to assume a significant guard role as a Junior. Patrick will come around. Hopefully his decent LaSalle performance is a good indication that he's back. You could tell after he hit a clutch 3 and did a hard fist pump that he really wants it.

See the below FG% Stats. Each had a tough Junior year like Patrick has been having but all bounced out of it.

Cam Long
So. .462
Jr. .381
Sr. 479

Folarin
So - .491
Jr - .376
Sr - .419

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Patrick's mechanics are much better than Vertrail's. I loved Vetrail's energy, defense and early career shooting, but his mechanics paled in comparison to Patrick.

Perhaps with more team balance and what seems to be less reliance on Patrick being a #1 option we will see his shooting % increase over the course of the season. Especially if he is getting fed the ball from our guys inside and can find open looks.

My sense is that most all 3 pt shooters are streaky. Dre Smith and Lamar Butler certainly went through similar spells. And when one goes cold, it becomes a mental thing.

Patrick, in the La Salle game, did most of his scoring on mid-range shots and pulling up on drives. Perhaps that will restore his confidence and he'll start hitting 3s again (he did go 1-3 from 3 against La Salle, I think). Scott's comment on getting fed from our inside guys echo previous comments (perhaps on the Shevon thread?).

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Agree with Scott. I'd also venture that Patrick shoots about 60% in the final 4 minutes of games, a nice trait to have.

My biggest issue with Patrick's offense (and I guess the teams as a whole) is that he doesn't do a great job getting open for shots. It seems every team we play against has little problem getting open looks for their shooters, yet how often do you remember us running a set that resulted in an open look for Patrick. Some of that is on the team/coaching, but some of that is on him too.

I'm also a fan of the way Patrick has developed his midrange game and drives to the basket, making him a more complete scorer and not just a long range shooter.

Although I agree with most of your post, I do think we run sets for Patrick, especially after time outs with a short shot clock.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Although I agree with most of your post, I do think we run sets for Patrick, especially after time outs with a short shot clock.

Another thing to factor in is Patrick's height. I'd be shocked if he's actually 6-feet tall, and that makes it much easier for defenders to close in on him even when he we do set a screen. He has a much smaller window to get off a shot than say a Vaughn Gray who is four or five inches taller.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Patrick's mechanics are much better than Vertrail's.

This is absolutely correct although I don't believe that either player's 3-pt. FGA's incorporated the ideal arc for maximum effectiveness. Vertrail shot with too much arc, while I believe that Patrick would benefit with more arc on his long-range shots.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Teams have definitely been overplaying Patrick on the perimeter, and forcing him to step inside the arc. If he keeps gashing them with mid-range floaters and backdoor cuts, then either he will start getting more open looks on the perimeter, or he will continue to score open 2s instead. Either way, I am optimistic.

And psyclone, when have we ever run a set play out of a timeout? :bunny: