OT: NCAAT Discussion

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For those who like to watch college basketball even when Mason's not playing, I figured it would be good to start a thread dedicated to the NCAA Tournament. To get it started, here is a great story about a college student who cleverly found a way to sneak down to the floor for the ACC title game — and even shake Coach K's hand afterwards. Brilliant!

http://deadspin.com/uva-fan-bluffs-...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I shook Coach K's hand once outside a bathroom at Red Square in Vegas. I didn't know it at the time, but it was right before midnight Madness in the year K would lobby for Coach L getting an at large. October 2005.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Anyone got umass losing to iowa/tenn?

I seriously considered it but have UMass winning and then losing in the next round to Duke. I do have Iowa State getting to the Final 4. They really impressed me in the tournament we were in together and the other times I saw them this season.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Providence over unc is upset pick so far. This is a tough tourney to pick.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think SLU gets past NC State with the way the Wolfpack can score. Dayton/Ohio State should be fun to watch..Dayton would love to beat their in-state "big brother".

DeepValue

Starter
I'm not an SLU or UMass beliver, and I just don't like vcu. St Joes, and GW we can talk about. I like Dayton too, but that's a tough draw for them.

Deadspin had a post about how a few teams could score upsests. A commentor added Delaware: If the Mich St. hotel has an outbreak of cholera.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Iowa/Tennessee going to OT. It's March a Madness time!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't think SLU gets past NC State with the way the Wolfpack can score. Dayton/Ohio State should be fun to watch..Dayton would love to beat their in-state "big brother".
I'm with you, I've got NC St beating SLU.
I've got the other 5 A10 schools to win their first round games.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
They need to get rid of that "First Four" BS and just go back to 64 teams.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
They need to get rid of that "First Four" BS and just go back to 64 teams.

I honestly don't mind the first four from the standpoint that it shuts up some bubble team coaches. It's a chance to put the "last four out" into a micro-tournament for 2 tournament spots. No one is going to get on TV and say "MY KIDS SHOULD HAVE THE CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE PLAY-IN GAME" because that sounds stupid, and it makes the teams who were on the bubble have to earn their spot rather than saying "oh they were 7-10 in the ACC with a win over Duke, so they should be in."

I have a problem with the 16 seed play-ins, because those are teams who 100% won their conference tournament and deserve to be in the field of 64. You want 4 teams? Make the games for a 10, 11, 12, and 13 seed (where most bubble teams fall) and let the kids who won their conference tournament play with the big boys.

Also quit calling them "tournament wins" and all that carp. Really irks me that Cal Poly gets a tournament win as one of the weakest teams in the field.

Also this is an idealist view. I know for a fact that if they changed it they would just cram all the at-large mid majors into the play-in games so a 13-12 (7-10) ACC team can get a real 11 seed and get trounced in the first round.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
i picked umass to beat tenn. tenn isn't as fast and athletic as umass is in the forwards spots. umass can recover faster than iowa if needing to double the post. plus, tenn iq is questionable.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton looks confident!

Reminds me of when we got paired up with Maryland in 2001. The committee knows that BCS schools avoid mid-majors like the plague — especially those in their backyard — so it's cool when they force them to play. Just like our players weren't afraid of Maryland, you can tell Dayton is not in awe of OSU.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 6m
Dayton reported that its men's basketball program netted more than $7M last season.

Wow.