OT - Mason's Academic Programs Rising High in National Rankings

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Caveat: I largely think the US News and World Report college rankings are BS, but as a marketing tool they are important.

Caveat out of the way, the new rankings came out and Mason has improved this year.

National Rank: 105 (just outside the top 100, which I think should be the goal to crack).

Public Rank: 51

Can't remember what our previous highest ranking was. Think it was in the 130's. My neighbor is a professor at Mason. He said one of President Washington's goal was for Mason to be top 100. Nice to see the giant leap. Agreed, the US News World report ranking is more of a marketing tool as the metrics used in the ranking aren't really that indicitive of how great a college really is.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Caveat: I largely think the US News and World Report college rankings are BS, but as a marketing tool they are important.

Caveat out of the way, the new rankings came out and Mason has improved this year.

National Rank: 105 (just outside the top 100, which I think should be the goal to crack).

Public Rank: 51
Where are the other state schools, like
vcu, VT, ODU ?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu: 142
ODU: 280
Tech: 47
UVA: 24
W&M: 53

Edit: adding JMU since they are now classified as a national university: 124

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mason soars to #105 in US News National Rankings.

Tied with American U., Arizona State, Saint Louis U., San Diego State, U of Colorado, Boulder, UT Knoxville,

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Big changes in methodology. No longer being penalized by our low alumni giving rates or class size. Got a huge bump in our faculty publication rates and the success of our first generation students.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thanks! I'm surprised VT is that high.
VT is a great school. Need a 4.0 and above to get in these days.

What's shocking is how Bill & Mary fell so much. in the 90s and early 2000s they were very high tier college and very hard to get in to.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
VT is a great school. Need a 4.0 and above to get in these days.

What's shocking is how Bill & Mary fell so much. in the 90s and early 2000s they were very high tier college and very hard to get in to.
Didn't know that.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Only JMU fanboys are holding on to the old view that W&M > JMU > Tech > GMU.

New world: Tech > W&M > GMU > JMU.

And this has been the case for a few years. They have been in denial since they moved to the National University category that they have been below Mason. They argue it is because of our graduate programs. Not true. US News has a separate rankings for graduate schools. While it is true that we have more prominent professors because we have a wide range of graduate programs, which helps in some measures, that is not the reason we are ranked above them.

Last edited:
OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Only JMU fanboys are holding on to the old view that W&M > JMU > Tech > GMU.

New world: Tech > W&M > GMU > JMU.

And this has been the case for a few years. They have been in denial since they moved to the National University category that they have been below Mason. They argue it is because of our graduate programs. Not true. US News has a separate rankings for graduate schools. While it is true that we have more prominent professors because we have a wide range of graduate programs, which helps in some measures, that is not the reason we are ranked above them.

I think this is the new world. Tech>GMU>W&M>JMU

W&M is risking becoming another GW. High price versus realized returns.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Was at the JMU message boards and they are salty over this. They still think we don't have dorms on campus (living in parents basement argument). They don't seem to realize the bulk of our students are from out of state and majority of freshmen and sophomores live on campus.

Fascinating.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Wall Street Journal has us above W&M.

JMU fans won't be happy about this ranking either

Well shit, this justifies all the smart asses on here.;)

Well this ranking will make the JMU fans a bit more salty.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 7.31.55 AM.png

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In truth, we should only be compared with R1 universities. Neither JMU or W&M are in our league.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Was at the JMU message boards and they are salty over this. They still think we don't have dorms on campus (living in parents basement argument). They don't seem to realize the bulk of our students are from out of state and majority of freshmen and sophomores live on campus.

Fascinating.
Not quite. 80+% of undergrads are In-State.