OT - Mason's Academic Programs Rising High in National Rankings

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I disagree - I have family who sent their kids to Mason from out of state for the software engineering program. My niece went to Mason specifically for the Accounting program. And given the number of on-campus beds that they have (almost as many as Tech) I think that image has dissipated.

All I will say is that I talk to and hire recent grads where I can from Mason -- specifically for infosec -- and that stigma still exists. Even more so since I've been living in FedRAMP hell for the last twelve months.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I made my own fun too. So much so that I made it on the police blotter more than once... :)
You and me both. We hosted six keg parties in Building 3 of the apartments (sadly no longer there) during my time on campus, the last of which got me and my roommates put on probation. In my defense, it was the same night as an overtime victory against UNCW, and a huge snowstorm hit Fairfax during the game.

Everybody on campus including most of the basketball team descended upon on our apartment because everybody was stranded. To this day, I think the 75 people we had inside and on the balcony is a school record. The four of us proudly taped our probation letters on the apartment window as a badge of honor. :cool:

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
You and me both. We hosted six keg parties in Building 3 of the apartments (sadly no longer there) during my time on campus, the last of which got me and my roommates put on probation. In my defense, it was the same night as an overtime victory against UNCW, and a huge snowstorm hit Fairfax during the game.

Everybody on campus including most of the basketball team descended upon on our apartment because everybody was stranded. To this day, I think the 75 people we had inside and on the balcony is a school record. The four of us proudly taped our probation letters on the apartment window as a badge of honor. :cool:
What was the building number? Year? Sounds familiar...

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

I just remember the night cops busted our party in Potomac Heights and I was wearing a Seminoles hat. One of the cops was a Florida Gators fan and started doing the chomp at me.

She said, "Do you know what I'm doing?" and I replied back with, "Acting like a f*cking idiot."

The 50 hours of community service was worth it.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just remember the night cops busted our party in Potomac Heights and I was wearing a Seminoles hat. One of the cops was a Florida Gators fan and started doing the chomp at me.

She said, "Do you know what I'm doing?" and I replied back with, "Acting like a f*cking idiot."

The 50 hours of community service was worth it.
F the Gators and Noles - but well played ;)

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Those were the days.

Mr. GMUTomGMU, tell us the story about the bonfire in the apartment 'square' between bldgs 3 and 4.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Those were the days.

Mr. GMUTomGMU, tell us the story about the bonfire in the apartment 'square' between bldgs 3 and 4.
I have no recollection whatsoever of said fire. ;)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Caveat: I largely think the US News and World Report college rankings are BS, but as a marketing tool they are important.

Caveat out of the way, the new rankings came out and Mason has improved this year.

National Rank: 105 (just outside the top 100, which I think should be the goal to crack).

Public Rank: 51