OT - Mason's Academic Programs Rising High in National Rankings

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In truth, we should only be compared with R1 universities. Neither JMU or W&M are in our league.

I don’t know that research activity is all that important to undergrads, other than the likelihood of being taught by a TA goes up?

W&M grads are slightly less annoyingly elitist than UVA grads, so I’m not going to hate on them too much.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don’t know that research activity is all that important to undergrads, other than the likelihood of being taught by a TA goes up?

W&M grads are slightly less annoyingly elitist than UVA grads, so I’m not going to hate on them too much.
Agreed, and that is one reason R1 universities should be in a separate category.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I read in the news that Mason is #1 in DEI. No judgement on whether that is good or bad. But to state the obvious, there is a cost to having a lot of administrators. 69 DEI administrators are expensive and contribute to high tuition costs.

I read in the news that Mason is #1 in DEI. No judgement on whether that is good or bad. But to state the obvious, there is a cost to having a lot of administrators. 69 DEI administrators are expensive and contribute to high tuition costs.

I just read this morning they are #8 in the country in College Free Speech Rankings. Elon Musk posted it on X yesterday.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not quite. 80+% of undergrads are In-State.

You know, its interesting how to categorize percentages with mason. We know theres 40 thousand students now, and only 8000 (correct me) on campus.

So thats not even 25 percent. But if you break it down further, you quickly learn that its a good chunk of the undergraduate population and that its not as small as it used to be. I know its been mentioned theres as many beds available at Mason as there are at VT.

I have no idea what its like now, but I think there are also additional apartments that have been built that are very close to campus.

Just interesting.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Only 44.6% of undergraduates are under 22. That is an indication that we are far from becoming a traditional university. 40k students sound impressive, but only 16k are traditional college-age students.

Edit: I wish they showed the numbers for under 24. I still consider a fifth year student as a traditional student.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interesting numbers. I for one am glad we don't have any students from Missouri. We have had very modest success with people from Missouri. And they rarely stay the four years necessary to be successful.
975b6533a5dfb0f1d9cba78f57624dc8.jpg

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Only 44.6% of undergraduates are under 22. That is an indication that we are far from becoming a traditional university. 40k students sound impressive, but only 16k are traditional college-age students.

Edit: I wish they showed the numbers for under 24. I still consider a fifth year student as a traditional stude
Do these totals include graduate and PHD students?

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You know, its interesting how to categorize percentages with mason. We know theres 40 thousand students now, and only 8000 (correct me) on campus.

So thats not even 25 percent. But if you break it down further, you quickly learn that its a good chunk of the undergraduate population and that its not as small as it used to be. I know its been mentioned theres as many beds available at Mason as there are at VT.

I have no idea what its like now, but I think there are also additional apartments that have been built that are very close to campus.

Just interesting.
Here is Mason's housing profile:

Mason’s campus has more than 40 residence halls, from suites to apartments. Many are new or have been recently renovated to be even more spacious and comfortable. More than 75 percent of all freshmen live on campus, so there’s always plenty going on. A variety of amenities are available within each building, including high-speed Internet access and free laundry facilities (but you still have to fold).

As a comparison - JMU

JMU has 25 residence halls spread throughout campus that are available exclusively for first-year students. Take a look inside with our fully interactive virtual tours. 32% of the students live in college-owned, -operated or -affiliated housing and 68% of students live off campus.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know where else to post this.

Alexandria City High School seniors with 3.25 GPA now automatically admitted to George Mason University​

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Definitely, not the correct thread.

Maybe we should have a thread on lowering academic standards.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Definitely, not the correct thread.

Maybe we should have a thread on lowering academic standards.

Sort of depends on if it’s weighted or unweighted. 3.25 unweighted is decent. If it’s weighted, I would have upped it to 3.5 (there are just way too many opportunities to Jack up GPA now).

I'm officially a George Mason University student in Spring 2024. 22 years later, can't wait to get back into life as Frank the Tank again!

the application process was rather interesting....of note, after I spent the $75 application fee, I decided to research the program that I'll be entering. Little did I know it was Top 5 ranked in the USA and #1 in state of Virginia.