OOC Opponent Tracker 2014-15

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was honestly kind of shocked that a coach in a make-or-break year, and with a bunch of new players, would put together such an ambitious schedule instead of loading up on cupcakes.

By RPI, I'm pretty sure this is the toughest OOC schedule we've ever played.

Including conference teams, there are six opponents inside the top 30.

Hewitt definitely deserves credit.
well, Oklahoma, ODU, UNI, Iona and Princeton were all return games from last year. if you want to give him credit for scheduling in a make-or-break year, then you have to look at Wright St, Cornell, Manhattan and Catawba. I guess you can give him credit for agreeing to play in a non-exempt tournament, but we are in one of those every year.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
#25 Old Dom cruised to a 21 pt. victory last in Huntington, WV over Marshall U for their 10th straight win! Jon Arledge had 13 pts., 6 rebs, 2 asts and 1 stl in only 20 minutes. Seems like things are working out just fine for him and the Monarchs.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Current records of OOC opponents:

Cornell: 7-8 (0-0 Ivy)
Princeton: 6-9 (0-0 Ivy)
WVU: 14-1 (2-0 Big 12)
New Mexico: 10-5 (2-1 Mountain West)
College of Charleston: 5-11 (0-3 CAA)
Manhattan: 6-8 (3-2 MAAC)
ODU: 13-1 (2-0 Conference USA)
UNI: 13-2 (2-1 MVC)
D-II Catawba: 5-7 vs. non-D-I opponents
Iona: 10-5 (3-1 MAAC)
Wright State: 10-7 (2-1 Horizon League)
Oklahoma: 11-3 (2-0 Big 12)

Pablo

Hall of Famer
More like Altered State.

From the Cornell message board - see http://cornellbball.proboards.com/thread/878/alfred-state-thread-list:

16 hours ago
icon-options.png

Post by millertimeatnewman on 16 hours ago
"Wow-- this left a bad taste in my mouth. The purpose of a D-3 tune-up is to work on your team execution and improve playmaking against a lesser opponent. Instead, they just stood around, chucked bad threes that somehow went in every time, and throw the occasional lob pass to Shonn or Dave. Speaking of Dave, ugh. He keeps dribbling as soon as he catches the ball, and gets stripped almost every time. Then on the one play that something finally clicked and he went straight up, he missed four consecutive shots. Deion struggled as well.

I never like running up a score and humiliating a lesser team either. They should've emptied the bench much earlier. Mischler and Jordan A-R (Why is he buried on the bench?) showed flashes of brilliance when A-State still had some starters in and will need more game experience, as they'll likely have to step into bigger roles next year.

Again, another goal for this game not met: getting the future of the program lots of game experience. They just stuck with the top 7 for as long as they could without it reflecting badly on the program, and then reluctantly emptied the bench.

I'd like to be excited after what was the largest margin of victory in program history, but I can't. They didn't use this game for what they needed to.

Other worry is that they'll let their guard down after this huge romp and lose to Columbia in what is now a trap game"

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Bumping this to point out how freaking horrible College of Charleston is this year. 1-8 in the CAA, 6-16 overall. That may wind up being our worst loss of the year. If Jollay coaches our game against them we probably win by 12.

Bumping this to point out how freaking horrible College of Charleston is this year. 1-8 in the CAA, 6-16 overall. That may wind up being our worst loss of the year. If Jollay coaches our game against them we probably win by 12.

First GS mentions Jollay as a possible replacement for Hewitt now this. Maybe this is the offseason where I finally deservedly am on Mason's short-list radar.

Or maybe this is the offseason where I get mauled by rabid rattlesnakes. Who knows.

Yeah, for me C of C and Cornell is what really stick out. It's one thing to not do so well in the A-10, another to look like a middling CAA or even Ivy team.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's ridiculous that we took 27 threes in the Cornell game. Yeah - it was the first game of the season, but Hewitt and the players should have known that this team isn't going to win any games shooting so many 3's.

wijg

Starter
It's one thing to not do so well in the A-10, another to look like a middling CAA or even Ivy team.
A lot of people try to say that Hewitt's second year wasn't so bad, but we were already a middling CAA team by his second year. I am not so sure we would even be as high as middling at this point.

KAOriginal

All-American
A lot of people try to say that Hewitt's second year wasn't so bad, but we were already a middling CAA team by his second year. I am not so sure we would even be as high as middling at this point.

Yep. People look at that final 22-16 record and say he won 20 games.

But we "paid" for 6 of those wins in the CBI.

Our regular season was 17-13 and tied for 5th in the CAA.

wijg

Starter

Exactly, and even more revealing is that we were 10-8 in a very weak CAA. Just one game above .500.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

The Patriots were actually 4-2 in the CBI, & 18-14 in the regular season including the CAA tourney.