OOC Opponent Tracker 2014-15

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Although he's a winner, I would prefer a coach with a more up-tempo style...

A program like Mason needs to hire a coach that can counter what succeeds at the Power 5 level. If the power five is playing an up-tempo style, then maybe we look at a more defensive-oriented style. What has been able to beat Havoc (other than poor 3 point shooting on their part)? Beating the press and forcing them into a half-court game. Good coaching can beat any press and good defense can force Havoc into a half-court game.

If we are going to counter Havoc with an up-tempo style then we had better be able to recruit like Shaka.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
ODU cracks the AP poll:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...3622/kentucky-stays-no-1-poll-odu-makes-debut

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2015/poll/1

Seton Hall, vcu, Arkansas and Old Dominion were new arrivals to the Top 25, with the No. 19 Pirates (12-2) the highest of that group after upsetting then-unbeaten Villanova over the weekend. For the No. 25 Monarchs (12-1), it marked their first appearance in program history.

Washington, Colorado State, Northern Iowa and Georgetown dropped out of the poll.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
ODU cracks the AP poll:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...3622/kentucky-stays-no-1-poll-odu-makes-debut

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2015/poll/1

Seton Hall, vcu, Arkansas and Old Dominion were new arrivals to the Top 25, with the No. 19 Pirates (12-2) the highest of that group after upsetting then-unbeaten Villanova over the weekend. For the No. 25 Monarchs (12-1), it marked their first appearance in program history.

Washington, Colorado State, Northern Iowa and Georgetown dropped out of the poll.

Good for Jeff Jones and ODU. They turned that around quickly!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That makes me sick. A guy that wanted the job here but was never interviewed has turned ODU into a Top 25 school in year two. FU O'Connor.

Just goes to show what a good coach can do.

EDIT: Jones reportedly was interviewed

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That makes me sick. A guy that wanted the job here but was never interviewed has turned ODU into a Top 25 school in year two. FU O'Connor.

Just goes to show what a good coach can do.

EDIT: Jones reportedly was interviewed

I'm gonna have to come clean and admit I thought at the time we were too good for a skirt-chasing POS like Jones.

Probably even posted some nonsense to that effect on the Zone.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm gonna have to come clean and admit I thought at the time we were too good for a skirt-chasing POS like Jones.

Boy was I wrong.

ODU has played really good defense this year and CUSA sucks so bad they might only lost 3-4 games at most the rest of the way.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
ODU has played really good defense this year and CUSA sucks so bad they might only lost 3-4 games at most the rest of the way.

Scary thing is Jones has only had one real recruiting class. Unless he somehow lands another P-5 job (unlikely), they're set up to be very good for the forseeable future.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Boy was I wrong.
I didn't want him either. But I am not an experienced AD. What do I know?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That makes four teams we've lost to in the top 25 in one poll or another.

Man, I'd feel so much better about our season if we just beat Cornell and CofC.

The strange thing is ODU is good and we probably should've beaten them.

If we had, we'd have a top-50 win, 4 top-100 wins and be inside the top 100 ourselves even with those two bad losses.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a schedule that could have gotten us an NCAA at-large berth with around 18 regular season wins plus a couple more in Brooklyn, so long as we avoided any bad losses.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Boy was I wrong.

Who would be excited about a coach who just came off a 10-20 season at American? I know most ODU fans were not.

The strange thing is ODU is good and we probably should've beaten them.

If we had, we'd have a top-50 win, 4 top-100 wins and be inside the top 100 ourselves even with those two bad losses.

So crazy. Never expected a good record, but I really do at least give Hewitt credit for scheduling.

What is nuts is that I thought the Spain trip would get us off to a quick start and we'd come down to earth right about now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So crazy. Never expected a good record, but I really do at least give Hewitt credit for scheduling.

I was honestly kind of shocked that a coach in a make-or-break year, and with a bunch of new players, would put together such an ambitious schedule instead of loading up on cupcakes.

By RPI, I'm pretty sure this is the toughest OOC schedule we've ever played.

Including conference teams, there are six opponents inside the top 30.

Hewitt definitely deserves credit.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I was honestly kind of shocked that a coach in a make-or-break year, and with a bunch of new players, would put together such an ambitious schedule instead of loading up on cupcakes.

By RPI, I'm pretty sure this is the toughest OOC schedule we've ever played.

Including conference teams, there are six opponents inside the top 30.

Hewitt definitely deserves credit.

Rpiforecast ranks our strength of schedule for the season (not just out of conference) at 36th nationally and vcu's at 11. UMass and Richmond are in the mid/high 60s. All others are higher/worse.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/A10.html