Official Game Thread - Stony Brook at Mason

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I understand this won’t fly with season ticket holders. But the students should get side seats, it would look begetter on tv.

Season ticket holders still have the other side of the stadium and could get behind the basket.

As a season ticket holder I would agree with that idea.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I think Stony Brook will be a good team down the road. They have some good players, but they did not play like a team last night. SB has some work to do.

I thought we looked a little more polished than I thought we would. I love our depth and size. We looked like a college team and not a high school team (size wise) which was refreshing.

The student section looked great. The uni's looked great. It was awesome to have basketball back and to have something to get excited for.

He15man

Starter
Outstanding first game. Agree that it's one win against a low major, but the final score is what it SHOULD be against that kind of team ... a 22-point spread that we didn't have to struggle to achieve. And our guys clearly needed a half's worth of real, game situation basketball to get their tempo, communication, defense, shooting strokes, etc under control. The second half (at least to me) looked like a much more stout, consistent team on both ends of the floor. That's simply first-game nerves and bugs every team needs to work through. Going into this, all I wanted was for us to play to our potential and ultimately get a victory/point spread that you should see between mid-high majors and low majors.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think Stony Brook will be a good team down the road. They have some good players, but they did not play like a team last night. SB has some work to do.

I thought we looked a little more polished than I thought we would. I love our depth and size. We looked like a college team and not a high school team (size wise) which was refreshing.

The student section looked great. The uni's looked great. It was awesome to have basketball back and to have something to get excited for.

Oduro and Henry look transformed. Cooper and Schwartz are both much bigger and more powerful than their counterparts last year. Makes a huge difference.

Dawgs99

Starter
Loved all the new guys, especially Ticket. But probably my biggest take away was XJ. It was great to see him have that burst back in his game. Also, Oduro is a stud, no doubt the most polished, skilled big in the league. If he starts knocking down that top of the key 3 look out!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

For anyone who wants an easy click to the boxscore from last night:

Key things (and some repetitive to what others said):
Mason out rebounded Stony Brook 44-31 (as they should)
Stony Brook only had 2 assists the entire game
Super efficient offense last night, over 50% from the field in 2s, 4 guys in double figures, nearly a 5th.
Gaines filled up the boxscore - 9 points 9 boards

How about Blake Jones with his first 15 minutes and having 4 points and 4 boards and 2 blocks. Pretty good!

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Super efficient offense last night, 4 guys in double figures, nearly a 5th.

How about Blake Jones with his first 15 minutes and having 4 points and 4 boards and 2 blocks. Pretty good!

Good information. I am really liking how we can spread the scoring around - makes us harder to defend.

However, it will be interesting to see if that dynamic plays out in A-10 play.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Super efficient offense last night, 4 guys in double figures, nearly a 5th.

Look at the shooting percentages of the starting 5.

Oduro: 66.7%
Cooper: 66.7%
XJ: 55.5%
Schwartz: 62.5%
Gaines: 44.4%

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good information. I am really liking how we can spread the scoring around - makes us harder to defend.

However, it will be interesting to see if that dynamic plays out in A-10 play.

I'd be shocked if it was as easy as last night in conference with more talented teams and better defense. I do agree that the more scoring options the team has the better.

Look at the shooting percentages of the starting 5.

Oduro: 66.7%
Cooper: 66.7%
XJ: 55.5%
Schwartz: 62.5%
Gaines: 44.4%

Really really good. I thought Schwartz had a little bit of a rough go of it getting into the flow of the game, but he still ended up with nice contributions. He also had that big steal and 3 pointer that pretty much sealed the game in the 2nd half.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Loved all the new guys, especially Ticket. But probably my biggest take away was XJ. It was great to see him have that burst back in his game. Also, Oduro is a stud, no doubt the most polished, skilled big in the league. If he starts knocking down that top of the key 3 look out!
My thoughts exactly. If Oduro could knock down threes he could carry us to a tourney berth. But until I see him hit the three consistently, I prefer to see him just dominate the paint.

DAK

Preferred Walk-On
It felt different, it looked different, we are different! KE is the real deal. The cultural change he’s already implemented is nothing but impressive.

God, it feels good to be genuinely excited about Mason hoops. No more forced optimism which I’ve had for the past 9-10 years.

Time to hop on a train for the Penn game Friday. This is worth a trip from Raleigh to see with my own eyes!

Herndon

All-Conference
My thoughts exactly. If Oduro could knock down threes he could carry us to a tourney berth. But until I see him hit the three consistently, I prefer to see him just dominate the paint.
Disagree. I like him initiating the offense at the top of the arc a lot. He pulled bigs out and opens the door for cutters and he's good enough to hit them.

Honestly, he should touch the ball early in every possession, high and low.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Great win. I really enjoyed seeing a healthy XJ out there.

Attachments

• Mason MBB 11.9.21_DSC_6885.jpg
    Mason MBB 11.9.21_DSC_6885.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 283