NIL Thread

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well at the very least I'll add, if we weren't competitive, we don't get the likes of Darius Maddox or Keyshawn Hall to consider Mason.
Hall was a benchwarmer before Mason. He should be grateful a coach believed in him and let him shine.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hall was a benchwarmer before Mason. He should be grateful a coach believed in him and let him shine.
Really.?? Didnt know that?

Maybe he was hurt? Or had indigestion?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement, he had several suitors and we had to do many things to get him, however.
We had to beat Lousiville, Gtown and Texas. I personally do not believe that. I think he and his family manipulated the situation to get $$. Live and learn I guess.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We had to beat Lousiville, Gtown and Texas. I personally do not believe that. I think he and his family manipulated the situation to get $$. Live and learn I guess.
If we don’t compete and offer a real package Hall is at vcu. Kid you not.

Honestly I don’t even know how serious those schools you mentioned were about him. All along most folks heard “vcu wants him too”.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How can I help?

Im assuming there is a website?

How many people have donated?

Is money invested at all or just stored and paid out?
Donations are always the easiest way to help out. Also, please spread the word/encourage others to give. At some point, volunteers may be a benefit.

The website is:

I think the number contributors to date is on the order of 50-100 people, or so, but that is old information. I'll try to get a more up-to-date number.

Money managed in a financially conservative/no capital loss and liquid manner so that it is available payout when needed. Currently, no need for more complicated, longer term investments, but, we are very young...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we don’t compete and offer a real package Hall is at vcu. Kid you not.

Honestly I don’t even know how serious those schools you mentioned were about him. All along most folks heard “vcu wants him too”.

It would make sense that Odom would want him. Of the very few games where he played solid minutes, he torched USU for 19 points on 6-11 shooting.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This situation with Hall is not ideal but I gotta say, learning all this inside info about the NIL and drama regarding recruiting is pretty badass.

I feel like I’m binge watching a great Netflix series.
Yes. when you start learning more and more from the inside it becomes very fascinating. It also gives perspectives that words can’t necessarily describe either.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One thing that probably helps to understand better that NIL is not some program managed by a single entity. It may even be managed by a multiple entities at associated with particular school. It is a concept and it applies to you and me and everyone else, including the players. They just have more value with their Name, Image and Likeness than you are I typically do. A player can have an NIL deal with many different entities within the (few remaining) rules of the NCAA, state laws, school rules as well as even immigration rules. As an aside, two restrictions that are in place are that neither the school or the coach can contribute to NIL deals.

Jim McKay Chevrolet (thanks to Kathy, obviously) has deals with multiple players from what I have heard her mention. Those are private deals between Jim McKay and and the player. I believe the player has to report them to Mason per a school rule.

There is the Patriot Nation Collective. That is the collective that I help out with. It is a way to pool money from many sources, large and small, to make NIL deals with the players. I am not at liberty to give details about specifically what the players get. I can confirm that it is better than whoppers as they were served burgers from Red Robin at one event ;). It was the first collective in the A10 and in the first year we were the leader. I don't know all of the other programs, but, I know many have quickly formed and become competitive and suspect some have exceeded us now with some of the announcements i have seen recently. For example, there is the Woj related pledge which, if everything goes as planned, would be worth $150k. Woj NIL Conribution. Our collective added support for the Women's basketball team this year. I tell anyone who will listen that our fans and anyone who cares about the success of Mason basketball owes a debt of gratitude to Chris Durlak. He is the one who started this and does, probably, 95% of the work on running it. Without his efforts, we would have likely had some pretty abysmal seasons the last 2 years.

Those are the only two I know of.
Oddly enough, while waiting at the gate to fly home from Providence, I heard the PA announce that someone left a whopper at security checkpoint. Glad to know it was not one of our players. ;)

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I find it hard to believe that a top 5 program in Louisville was going to move mountains for a player 60 pounds overweight who averaged 10 minutes a game. Plenty of schools may have shown interest, but it’s different when a school shows you’re a priority. It’s disappointing that Mason made him a priority, let him shine, and he shows absolutely zero loyalty.

I would be bummed if he transferred after the season, but I would understand. However, quitting on your team mid-season is inexcusable.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I find it hard to believe that a top 5 program in Louisville was going to move mountains for a player 60 pounds overweight who averaged 10 minutes a game. Plenty of schools may have shown interest, but it’s different when a school shows you’re a priority. It’s disappointing that Mason made him a priority, let him shine, and he shows absolutely zero loyalty.

I would be bummed if he transferred after the season, but I would understand. However, quitting on your team mid-season is inexcusable.
Top 5 program in the state of Kentucky maybe..

GunstonsGhost

Preferred Walk-On
He doesn't sound like he is leaving.
That's kinda how it sounds to me. Still a chance he could be forced to put on a PR stunt after the rumors got outta control, but he's wearing his jersey and seems genuine to me, not being short with his answers, smiling, and generally upbeat.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's kinda how it sounds to me. Still a chance he could be forced to put on a PR stunt after the rumors got outta control, but he's wearing his jersey and seems genuine to me, not being short with his answers, smiling, and generally upbeat.
Why would he have to do that? He didn’t start the rumors…

GunstonsGhost

Preferred Walk-On
Why would he have to do that? He didn’t start the rumors…
Maybe to protect future NIL investments in the program. If there is still some truth to the rumors then it's obviously a bad look. Doing some PR helps smooth that over till the offseason. Again, I think he came off as genuine and restored some goodwill. He also talked about trying to double tape his ankle to be available for the Richmond game, so we'll see how things play out.

By George.

Starter
Just my opinion but I would let the situation play itself out. We haven’t taken a hard stance really because there isn’t one to take at this time.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just my opinion but I would let the situation play itself out. We haven’t taken a hard stance really because there isn’t one to take at this time.
This is true, but some of our most in the know posters seem pretty sure that something is (or at least was) going on.
They know lots more than I do, and I tend to trust their judgment.
Could they be wrong? Sure. But I'm thinking something is/was fishy.