MIAMI UPDATE

He15man

Starter
When it comes to Coach L, I think i'd rather some type of statue and/or a banner vs. his name on the court. Too far removed from his years at Mason to put it on the court IMO. That said... add me to the long list of people beating this VERY dead horse when I say that I still find it remarkable we don't have our program's biggest names/numbers on banners.

KAOriginal

All-American
NO COURT NAMING. He's spent just as much time, if not more at Miami, by the time this he retires.

He did a great thing for us, but he didn't become "our guy"...like a Tarrant, McKillop, Smith or Krzyzewski,et al., where they essentially gave their career to the school.

He can have a picture/portrait, etc in the whatever HOF Mason can end up with.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
When it comes to Coach L, I think i'd rather some type of statue and/or a banner vs. his name on the court. Too far removed from his years at Mason to put it on the court IMO. That said... add me to the long list of people beating this VERY dead horse when I say that I still find it remarkable we don't have our program's biggest names/numbers on banners or anywhere other than some murals around the concourse.
FTFY

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
When it comes to Coach L, I think i'd rather some type of statue and/or a banner vs. his name on the court. Too far removed from his years at Mason to put it on the court IMO. That said... add me to the long list of people beating this VERY dead horse when I say that I still find it remarkable we don't have our program's biggest names/numbers on banners.
I'm convinced now that a banner is sufficient.
And yes, why in the world haven't we hung banners yet!!!????

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm convinced now that a banner is sufficient.
And yes, why in the world haven't we hung banners yet!!!????
This is a question that many of us ask every off-season. We still haven't gotten a good answer. We don't have a good answer for the hall of fame situation. Just lame excuses.

My hope is that once AD Lewis comes in, gets settled, some of us will engage him or others to get some of the dumb shit that hasn't been solved for years done. The list has dwindled (video board, basic practice facility, video replays), but there are still a few things that should really be resolved.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
This is a question that many of us ask every off-season. We still haven't gotten a good answer. We don't have a good answer for the hall of fame situation. Just lame excuses.
Besides Mason's athletic department just being historically lazy and non creative.....is the "Carlos Yates" situation.

The time for this excuse is over. Either honor him for what he did at Mason...or just freaking leave him out and let the many others have their honor. We worked around George Mason owning slaves over 200 years later,. OJ Simpson is still in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I am sure we can figure out how to take care of Mr. Yates appropriately.

GROW THE F*CK UP MASON AD OFFICE. This isn't hard.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Besides Mason's athletic department just being historically lazy and non creative.....is the "Carlos Yates" situation.

The time for this excuse is over. Either honor him for what he did at Mason...or just freaking leave him out and let the many others have their honor. We worked around George Mason owning slaves over 200 years later,. OJ Simpson is still in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I am sure we can figure out how to take care of Mr. Yates appropriately.

GROW THE F*CK UP MASON AD OFFICE. This isn't hard.
yes I agree. However, we need "A" Hall of Fame before we can even ask someone to make a decision on something like this, so the problem is on the macro level (I think I am describing it right)

KAOriginal

All-American
yes I agree. However, we need "A" Hall of Fame before we can even ask someone to make a decision on something like this, so the problem is on the macro level (I think I am describing it right)
According to sources...lol......there have been prospects who approached to fund it.....but the school wont entertain it because the first question is "What do we do with Yates?".....so they turn down money and opportunity because they are cowards on making a decision.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
According to sources...lol......there have been prospects who approached to fund it.....but the school wont entertain it because the first question is "What do we do with Yates?".....so they turn down money and opportunity because they are cowards on making a decision.
Silly. Sounds like he was a great player. However, most college basketball fans have never heard of him. Never saw him play and am not that familiar with his misdeeds after playing for GMU, but can't imagine including him in a HOF would cause any kind of stir.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Silly. Sounds like he was a great player. However, most college basketball fans have never heard of him. Never saw him play and am not that familiar with his misdeeds after playing for GMU, but can't imagine including him in a HOF would cause any kind of stir.
I agree. He was terrific. Best shooting touch in our history. I graduated several years before he arrived, but saw him play several times. My top 3 Mason players: George Evans, Kenny Sanders, Carlos Yates. Put him in.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just hang the Jersey - my goodness he was a great player - you have to put Yates up there. Ugh the stupidity.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
2014: Todd Heap
2013: Ray Lewis
2012: Jamal Lewis
2011:
Matt Stover
2008: Jonathan Ogden
2006: Peter Boulware
2004: Michael McCrary
2003: Art Modell
2002: Raymond Berry, Art Donovan, John Mackey, Gino Marchetti, Lenny Moore, Jim Parker, Johnny Unitas, Weeb Ewbank
2001: Earnest Byner

Jamal Lewis is in the Ravens ring of honor and he killed someone.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So Yates was killed.....what's the problem with him being in hof again?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly, I never heard of Yates. Can someone give me the backstory. I can’t find any negative story that would exclude him from the HOF.

If Yates had a troubled past, some savy PR guy will have a prepared answered for any media question regarding Yates and his HOF status.

“While Mason appreciates Yate’s achievements on the court, Mason considers factors beyond an individual’s on-court achievements, including their character and behavior both on and off the court”

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly, I never heard of Yates. Can someone give me the backstory. I can’t find any negative story that would exclude him from the HOF.

If Yates had a troubled past, some savy PR guy will have a prepared answered for any media question regarding Yates and his HOF status.

“While Mason appreciates Yate’s achievements on the court, Mason considers factors beyond an individual’s on-court achievements, including their character and behavior both on and off the court”
Allegedly was dealing drugs at the time of his murder.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Allegedly was dealing drugs at the time of his murder.
Thanks. Just found this trash story that sums it up for anyone else lost like me. The author really had it out for Yates.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
Thanks. Just found this trash story that sums it up for anyone else lost like me. The author really had it out for Yates.

I think Wilbon’s article comes more from a feeling of frustration. He’s not the type to do a “hatchet job”.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I think Wilbon’s article comes more from a feeling of frustration. He’s not the type to do a “hatchet job”.
I agree...the tone of the article was much more one of frustration rather than one of taking Carlos down. At 27 he was well beyond being a naive teenager-- he bears the full responsibility of knowing what he was getting himself into. Tragic for sure, but an object lesson in the folly of an all or nothing bet on making it to the NBA.