MIAMI UPDATE

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was kinda thinking mkaufman1 was trying to bait Jollay into getting himself banned again before he even gets started being the "Jollay" we know and love (or hate).
haha far from it, but funny.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
What's more embarrassing: not having a hall of fame at all, or inducting another team's coach who is still active into your hall of fame?

Honestly the minute he retires we should at least put "Coach Larranaga Court" down.

I'm kind of embarrassed that he's in the Miami HOF before he's in the Mason HOF.
What's more embarrassing: not having a hall of fame at all, or inducting another team's coach who is still active into your hall of fame?

Honestly the minute he retires we should at least put "Coach Larranaga Court" down.
I actually heard a rumor recently (within past 2 weeks) that ONCE Coach L retires, Mason will officially have a ceremony to rename it to Coach L court. And yes, I heard this rumor from someone higher up at Mason.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I couldn't disagree with this much more. I think it makes us look small time (smaller than we are). This would have been justified if we had done it anytime between the final four and before he left (or if he had retired from Mason).

Don't get me wrong, though. He should be honored as soon as we have an actual place to honor him, but, not by naming the court after him (unless he donates several million for the honor).

We should reserve naming the court so we can name it after Tony for taking us to the National Championship ;-)

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I couldn't disagree with this much more. I think it makes us look small time (smaller than we are). This would have been justified if we had done it anytime between the final four and before he left (or if he had retired from Mason).

Don't get me wrong, though. He should be honored as soon as we have an actual place to honor him, but, not by naming the court after him.

We should reserve naming the court so we can name it after Tony for taking us to the National Championship ;-)
I thumbs upped the idea of Coach L court, and also did it the last time it was discussed. But, I keep thinking, what if Tony does even better and/or for a longer period of time? Then what?
Just don't know. But I've got high hopes for him.

Masonfan3

Starter

Don't get me wrong, though. He should be honored as soon as we have an actual place to honor him, but, not by naming the court after him (unless he donates several million for the honor).

Couldn't agree more. The moment he left us is when all that went out the door. However, if Mason wants to do something after he fully retires then I wouldn't be opposed to that.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I'm with Brian on this. We can and absolutely should find an appropriate way to honor Coach L, but naming the court after him would be too much. It's ancient history at this point, and we should be more focused on the future.

We already have an "uncarved" chunk of marble sitting outside the south entrance, this shouldn't be hard :chuckle:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Can we just can the Jollay talk? Never met him. Don't know him. But he is banned and it must be for a good reason. If he and the administrators work it out, fine. If not, fine too. A thread was just locked that got sidetracked over him. Maybe comments referencing him should be deleted too.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I actually heard a rumor recently (within past 2 weeks) that ONCE Coach L retires, Mason will officially have a ceremony to rename it to Coach L court. And yes, I heard this rumor from someone higher up at Mason.
The court would be renamed, but not the stadium right? I want mason to continue getting paid in nameing right deals.

For example Virginia Tech’s football stadium is called Lane Stadium but the playing surface is called Worsham Field.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The court would be renamed, but not the stadium right? I want mason to continue getting paid in nameing right deals.

For example Virginia Tech’s football stadium is called Lane Stadium but the playing surface is called Worsham Field.
Yes it would just be the court unless L is getting paid a lot better than we think in South Florida lol