MIAMI UPDATE

psyclone

Hall of Famer
We will never win again until we honor Coal L and apologize to that man.
We did invite him back for a money-raising dinner celebration of the 10th anniversary of our Final Four run. Many public compliments given at the dinner to Coach L from Dave Paulsen and others from Mason. Not exactly a court-naming but a clear signal of Mason's respect of his efforts and accomplishments here. Hardly a need to apologize. He left for more money to coach in a power conference.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
He’s very close to another Sweet 16 run.

I’m okay with a Coach L court at the Patriot Center. He earned it.
I'm not totally against the idea, but is there any precedent elsewhere of naming a court after a long-time successful coach that doesn't retire from the job at the same university and one who moves on in his career for a lengthy stint elsewhere?

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm not totally against the idea, but is there any precedent elsewhere of naming a court after a long-time successful coach that doesn't retire from the job at the same university and one who moves on in his career for a lengthy stint elsewhere?
Good point...he's almost at Miami as long as he was here. They will name their court after him...lol.

Could he have 2 courts?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Another thought is, we wait till Kim "Gonzagas" us and name it after him.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There probably isn't but I still think that they need to honor him for his incredible work at Mason. I don't care what they do but they'll name something after him related to basketball.

I suspect it won't happen until he retires (or at least there wouldn't be a push for it). I'm sure they will bring him back for a 20 year celebration of the Final Four much like they did for 10 years.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There probably isn't but I still think that they need to honor him for his incredible work at Mason. I don't care what they do but they'll name something after him related to basketball.

I suspect it won't happen until he retires (or at least there wouldn't be a push for it). I'm sure they will bring him back for a 20 year celebration of the Final Four much like they did for 10 years.
I think naming the court after him at EBA is a horrible idea. To me, it would be admitting we are second rate and begging him to connect back with us.

We should honor him in our hall of fame with all of our other greats...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think naming the court after him at EBA is a horrible idea. To me, it would be admitting we are second rate and begging him to connect back with us.

We should honor him in our hall of fame with all of our other greats...
I honestly haven't thought about this topic that much to be honest. Although it of course goes into the bigger conversation and problem of retiring numbers and honoring other mason basketball greats like you hinted at. Hopefully the 3 year study of that topic kicks off shortly.

I guess that topic couldn't wait until April. :)

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I honestly haven't thought about this topic that much to be honest. Although it of course goes into the bigger conversation and problem of retiring numbers and honoring other mason basketball greats like you hinted at. Hopefully the 3 year study of that topic kicks off shortly.

I guess that topic couldn't wait until April. :)
The Evergreen topics...

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"Now in his 37th season, Larrañaga has 723 wins and seems destined to eventually reach 800. The basketball glories at George Mason and Miami are mostly tied to his time as the coach. Few others can claim that kind of legacy.

"Is there anyone who's won that many games at these types of jobs?" former assistant/current George Washington coach Chris Caputo said. "George Mason's a former commuter school, was D-II, had seven straight losing seasons when he got there and hasn't sniffed the (NCAAs) since he left."

"I don't know if there's any guys on that list with 700 wins that have done it at places with a lack of history like Bowling Green, George Mason and Miami," Caputo said.

Mason had a 10,000-seat arena and not even a thousand people were coming to the games when he started there."

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

"Now in his 37th season, Larrañaga has 723 wins and seems destined to eventually reach 800. The basketball glories at George Mason and Miami are mostly tied to his time as the coach. Few others can claim that kind of legacy.

"Is there anyone who's won that many games at these types of jobs?" former assistant/current George Washington coach Chris Caputo said. "George Mason's a former commuter school, was D-II, had seven straight losing seasons when he got there and hasn't sniffed the (NCAAs) since he left."

"I don't know if there's any guys on that list with 700 wins that have done it at places with a lack of history like Bowling Green, George Mason and Miami," Caputo said.

Mason had a 10,000-seat arena and not even a thousand people were coming to the games when he started there."

Hot damn; Caputo brought the flame thrower to light the BBQ...

... but I mean, he's factually correct.