Men's Soccer

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if schools are finding another way to supplement the entire roster.

It's hard to imagine some players going from a free MLS academy to a DI team and having to pay something. Maybe that's why most of the top college teams are where they are. Most are private schools or well funded athletic programs.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wonder if schools are finding another way to supplement the entire roster.

It's hard to imagine some players going from a free MLS academy to a DI team and having to pay something. Maybe that's why most of the top college teams are where they are. Most are private schools or well funded athletic programs.
oh they definitely are. I lived with the tennis team... about 6 of the 12 of them were on full academic scholarships with the other 6 splitting the athletic scholarships on the team. Had classes with some of the volleyball players that said the same thing was happening. Soccer kids are definitely doing the same thing.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As I understand it, at the D1 level, Football and M&W Basketball are the only fully funded college sports scholarships.

All other sports use 'equivalency' scholarships. For example, there are approximately 18 or 19 scholarships available for women's XC and Track and Field, and, I think, 12 scholarships available for men to share between XC and Track and Field. These are NCAA limits, not school imposed. Each of these teams must share these scholarships amongst their team members, which for XC and T&F can be as many as 40 to 50 for each Women's and Men's teams. Now, there is no requirement for the school to use all the scholarship money, but equity, i.e. Title IX, must be maintained. This, in its various numeric limitations, applies to all other, i.e. not Basketball or Football, NCAA sports.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The men managed to turn their season around a bit and have clinched a spot in the A-10 championship playoffs by beating Davidson 1-0 on the road.

A lot of the contributors to this season are underclassman (Daniel Daiami, Ryan Mingachos, Tunde Akinlosotu, Colin Brezniak, Matt Sciolere, and Grant Robinson), so maybe they'll be better next year?

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Title Game:

Sun Nov 11
1:00 PM

Men's Soccer
197.jpg

Rhode Island

343.jpg

George Mason

ESPN+

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Beat URI 2-0 right before the tournament to get the seed we did. Will be interesting to see if they can repeat at a neutral site on Sunday.

Defense has been playing really well. They've shut out the last four opponents. Let's hope that continues.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Loses to Rhode Island 2-0 in the A-10 title game.

Too bad they couldn't have found this form earlier in the season, because maybe they'd have a shot at an at-large after missing out in the final, but like I said earlier so many of the contributors to this season's success will still be around next year and hopefully they can figure it out much sooner.