Men's Soccer

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Giving up late goals...

Gave up an 89' goal to allow West Virginia to tie and then lost it in over-time off a free kick.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Finished OOC at 5-2-1. Not bad. Dirks and Mingachos looks like they could carry the team pretty far, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Big test to start A-10 play against Fordham.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Finished OOC at 5-2-1. Not bad. Dirks and Mingachos looks like they could carry the team pretty far, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Big test to start A-10 play against Fordham.

Like what I've seen too from the goalie since we made the switch. Team looks strong, and definitely a threat to win A10, maybe even sneak in as an at large.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
1-1 against Fordham, defense held up for most of the game, but let in another late goal to allow Fordham to tie it.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Man have things taken a turn for the worst for the US and Mason men's soccer programs. Mason's mens team has yet to win an A-10 game after going 5-2-1 out of conference.

At least the women's team has turned things around after a terrible out of conference record.

mason89

Starter
Man have things taken a turn for the worst for the US and Mason men's soccer programs. Mason's mens team has yet to win an A-10 game after going 5-2-1 out of conference.

At least the women's team has turned things around after a terrible out of conference record.

Things seemed to go down hill after they were ranked. Too many late-game goals.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is it time for a new coach?

Andruilius has been here a long time, and he's only had two good seasons (and a smattering of decent ones). I don't know if that's a product of coaching or of recruiting, or of lack of resourses, or a combination all three.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We're 3-15-5 in the last three years in conference play. The last time we won a conference game was Nov 7, 2015. This could be Andrulis' final year.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We're 3-15-5 in the last three years in conference play. The last time we won a conference game was Nov 7, 2015. This could be Andrulis' final year.

We should take a look at Mark Pulisic (former GMU forward, former player for the Harrisburg Heat (296 goals), former youth coach for Borussia Dortmund, current assistant coach for the Rochester Rhinos, and Christian Pulisic's father). I think he has a pretty good track record of developing talent.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Soccer season, the harbinger of basketball season...

FAIRFAX, Va. – Nine home games and three road tests against 2017 NCAA Tournament teams highlight the 2018 schedule for the George Mason men's soccer team.

The Patriots revealed their fall schedule, which includes road games against NCAA Tournament participants Coastal Carolina, Massachusetts and vcu. Mason also welcomes nine teams into George Mason Stadium, beginning with Drexel on Aug. 31.

https://gomason.com/news/2018/6/15/...tournament-teams-highlight-2018-schedule.aspx

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I signed up to ESPN Plus so I could watch Serie A matches, and it looks like I will be able to watch a few GMU matches this year on the service.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Lost to american 1-2 today. Would be nice to have a good soccer program at Mason... ya know with the surging youth soccer in this country an all...plus the nova hotbed for talent....

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lost to american 1-2 today. Would be nice to have a good soccer program at Mason... ya know with the surging youth soccer in this country an all...plus the nova hotbed for talent....

A lot of really good programs in the area competing for talent -- Georgetown, UMD, UVA, W&M, JMU, UMBC are all teams routinely ranked in the top 25; vcu has a traditionally strong program, even American and Towson are known to have strong teams on occasion. Competition for soccer talent in the region is probably worse than it is for basketball. It's going to be harder now that D.C. United is starting a USL franchise in Loudoun and a lot of their better academy players will probably skip college and turn pro sooner.

That being said, if Andrulis follows up a really crappy season with another really crappy season following a really crappy season, I can't imagine you'd keep him around, right? I mean, the men's team has a conference record of 0-14-2 (W-L-D) the past two years.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Excuses. We dont sign mls academy players. On the other hand, some college soccer programs could shutter bc mls academies plucking talent, then kids jumping to European teams' acadamies. Which those EU teams can take for free. There are issues for sure.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Excuses. We dont sign mls academy players. On the other hand, some college soccer programs could shutter bc mls academies plucking talent, then kids jumping to European teams' acadamies. Which those EU teams can take for free. There are issues for sure.

I think we've had at least one DC United academy player on our team for the last 6 or 7 years (Grant Robinson, the lone goal scorer against American, is a D.C. United academy player, so is Raheem Lawal) Ryan Mingachos is from NYRB academy.

Last edited: